Core temps, CPU temps, TJMaxx, UGH!. 2600K, which are real max temps?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
G

Hi, scouring all over google to try to find 2600k max temps is rather disturbing. So many different answers, so many blatently wrong answers, and so many answers that apply to the wrong term back and forth between them. A lot of people are saying "Oh, the max temp is this" "No no no where did you hear that it's this!" and I think they're not differentiating core vs cpu (I assume?).

From what it seems to be:
The max temp >for the CPU< is ~70C
The max temp >for any core< is ~90C

Right now I'm running 1.35v, 4.5GHz with HT on. My core temps max out at around 73C, my CPU temp maxing out at around 55C (Both rough numbers). This is in OCCT over all the tests (I don't like using prime because It puts heat on CPUs that I've never, ever seen in any program, whereas OCCT hits the same numbers I use when encoding video, which also uses 100% of all my cores).

My setup is in my signature; MX-2 for thermal paste, stock fan on the venomous X RT. For this setup:
1. Do these temps seem average?
2. What kind of actual headroom do I have for these temps? I'm either right at the edge, or have a LOT to go yet from what I've found so far.
3. Voltage for 24/7 use? 1.4 seems to be a border between people who think it's a good or bad idea, yet intel rates it up towards 1.5v (?).
4. What exactly is TJMax in comparison to a core temp?
5. OCCT (HWmonitor built in) temps and voltages seem to be in line with what's to be expected of this system. Should I be using something else? A lot of people sware by coretemp, however last time I tried other temp programs, they all turned out to be the same regardless.

Solution
Hi c1o5ry1991,

The old timers and Moderators here will remember me well. I used to write and maintain the most popular Sticky here for about 3 years, which was the 16 page Core i and Core 2 Temperature Guide. I've been a member at Tom's since `06, and although I'm still an avid reader, I rarely come forward to offer comments on any threads, however, today I will. The answer that you're seeking is the Tcase specification which is available on Intel's website - http://ark.intel.com/products/52214/Intel-Core-i7-2600K-Processor-(8M-Cache-up-to-3_80-GHz) - however, there are some explanations required in order to make sense of Intel's Thermal Specifications.

I'll try to keep it as simple as possible:

Tjunction Max...

reedy777

Honorable
May 3, 2012

my tcase temp taken from asus probe II on my 2600k is 47 c on max load @ 4.7ghz however real temps is telling me my hotest core is hitting 67 c. i have a h100 cooler i wanna know if this spread between the cores and tcase is normal 20 c seems a bit high and is it safe to just stay within intels limits of 72.6 c tcase and roast the cores to waterever they get to. i hear ppl have been getting 5 ghz

reedy777

Honorable
May 3, 2012

cbrunnem

Distinguished

ignore tcase, not useful. ignore the 47*c as well. you are only concerned with the individual core temps. when a core temp reaches about 105*c the cpu will shut itself off or severely throttle itself. i wouldnt know i have never had one go that hot.

you are fine with those temps.