Question Core Ultra 200K excessive consumption

psaez84

Honorable
Jan 8, 2018
Hello, as seen in what Intel has announced, these processors reach 159 watts in their most relaxed version, the 245K, the one with 8+6 cores. Even the version without integrated graphics.

It seems absurd to me. Is it that Intel is ignoring power consumption and they are going around with their pants down, not caring that they consume a ton? What happened?

If there are still more than decent processors with excellent consumption and integrated graphics like the AMD 8700G that has a consumption of 65 watts... what are they doing at intel with 160 wats of power consumption on that CPU? it is almost triple... is the performance almost triple too? I think I'm missing something... it has no sense paying for something with triple consumption if it doesn't have triple performance.

Hello, as seen in what Intel has announced, these processors reach 159 watts in their most relaxed version, the 245K, the one with 8+6 cores. Even the version without integrated graphics.

It seems absurd to me. Is it that Intel is ignoring power consumption and they are going around with their pants down, not caring that they consume a ton? What happened?

If there are still more than decent processors with excellent consumption and integrated graphics like the AMD 8700G that has a consumption of 65 watts... what are they doing at intel with 160 wats of power consumption on that CPU? it is almost triple... is the performance almost triple too? I think I'm missing something... it has no sense paying for something with triple consumption if it doesn't have triple performance.
Those are momentary peak power specs; its not like they expect to draw that much power 100 percent of the time. The average draw is much lower. The same applies to the AMD 8700G.

Amdlova

Distinguished
The tdp design is when you use at maximum power of the cpu.
I have tested some versions of the lga1700 12700t 13100t 13500t 13600t and now a 14600t. All have range of 35w to 105w TDP.
These cpu has a incredible 1.2 - 1.5w idle on windows. The average power draw is 10w to 15w,
The pl2 gives the maximum frequency for 7 sec on the average. And it will give the right amount of energy what the system need. I see my system drawing the max 54 watts of power on pl2.

But it's not your cpu will eat the total power of your system.

Your motherboard High end can draw from 20w to 50w
Your overclocked ram can draw 10-20w
The ssds when have high usage can draw 5-7w
Your graphics can idle from 7-30w.

Today my system use 60w on idle with the cpu drawing 2w idling.