Core V1 vertical motherboard "how-to" and custom build

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 29, 2018
Just wanted to show off my build and explain how I modified the case to turn it on its side with the front panel right side up and the 200mm fan still installed. I'll start off with system specs with pricing and photos.

Specs:
CPU: i5-3570 ($55)
GPU: saphire pulse RX-580 ($250)
RAM: 2x4GB Corsair Vegeance ddr3-1600 (free)
Motherboard: P8H61-i REV 3.0 ($40)
PSU: EVGA 600watt BQ ($50)
CPU cooler: cooler master liquidlite 120RGB AIO ($50)
Cable extensions: Antec ($30)
SSD1: kingston 120gb SSDnow 300 ($30)
SSD2: Drevo X1 pro 256gb ($53)
RGB fans/controller: cooler master air balance with usb 2.0 controller ($33)
Case: Thermaltake Core V1 ($49)
Total(not including RGB strips, fan splitters, etc.)=$640

z3quC5Q.jpg

2UoZpq9.jpg

yj2F8KK.jpg

7asIJ7f.jpg

YL3JFlP.jpg

I did cable manage the rats nest by the PSU better after that picture, and I ended up running the 4 pin CPU power cable only without the 8 pin attachment. The blue RGB are also set to "breath" mode.

Vertical motherboard mod process(i'm not sure if i should post this elsewhere but it'll be here for now):

side panel re-arrangement:
-take case feet off of bottom panel. It's ok if the tabs break off, i broke them off anyway to reuse feet. I also took the felt off the legs and used it to plug the holes in the panel.
-add case feet to gpu side panel. I used gorilla glue double sided mounting tape, although drilling holes and threading a bolt wouldn't be that hard.
-I added two 120mm magnetic dust filters to the inside of the gpu side panel(now bottom panel)

Front panel and fan:
-there are two location pins midway on either side that need to be cut off
-the front I/O has tabs and a screw holding it in place, and if you want you can cut new holes for the tabs, but i found that the I/O is held firmly in place by the panel itself, so i cut the tabs and filed them down.
-the front panel and I/O will now mount in whatever orientation you please.
-Because the front panel now has a curve at the top, it interferes with the top of the fan shroud, but not by a lot, just enough to prevent the front panel from locking in place. I decided to cut the top of the fan shroud off since i didn't have my dremel here(at college). The fins themselves do not contact anywhere on the panel

That's it! the case mods i was able to do with a pair of wire cutters, and was a lot easier and cleaner than some people made it seem. The picture angles and lighting aren't the best but I hope you can see what I was going for.

zero_l0gic

Reputable
Aug 17, 2018
great build, great job... but only one thing that upside down cpu cooler :D i see its hard to fit the tubes for it to be the right side, but maybe you can fit the tubed under the Kingstone SSD ( just watch the tubes dont hard bend )

Aug 29, 2018
thanks! I've tried different orientations but sadly couldn't get the logo the right way around without kinking. the hoses are just too long. It wouldn't be hard to shorten them but i'd rather keep my warranty and not risk leaks. It would probably be better to go with a cooler with hoses on a different side or one with a circular logo that doesn't have an orientation. but this one was cheap and i already had it on hand.

zero_l0gic

Reputable
Aug 17, 2018

thought that would be a problem, yea dont cut the hoses i did it and after 5-6 months it leaked i still miss my gtx 560 that died in that incident :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS