Question Core Voltage and Core Voltage Offset

Just to strengthen my understanding of this stuff, I want some details about core voltages and core voltage offsets, mainly the offsets. Core voltages seem understandable enough. but what exactly is an offset? Is it like a margin of error? Is there a specific limit to how far I can increase the core voltage/offset for a processor? I have an 8700K. As long as I keep the CPU sufficiently cool while increasing the voltage, will I be fine? Assuming I don't go over any voltage limit, I keep my CPU at a safe temperature, and make sure that my clock speeds match the voltage amount, what other risks are there?

Corgoi

Great
Apr 12, 2019
You can do that to but unless is on auto it wouldn't change when and how much is needed. When set on auto it may push too high, this way you give it some room to adjust within limits of +/- the offset.
Hi I know this is an old thread but
Wouldn't that do the same as setting a max manual voltage and then enable all the power saving stuff like C-States and EIST

Hi I know this is an old thread but
Wouldn't that do the same as setting a max manual voltage and then enable all the power saving stuff like C-States and EIST
They are only for stepping down from maximum power usage and mostly get disabled with overclocking while with voltage offset you control only voltage but at all scenarios including overclock. Similar to it is using set voltage but correcting it up with Llc (Load Line Calibration). Lets say you set voltage to 1.2v, in normal usage it will either stay at it or reach it's maximum in normal condition but when needed, under full load it may ad some fractions of volts depending on it's steps.

Corgoi

Great
Apr 12, 2019
They are only for stepping down from maximum power usage and mostly get disabled with overclocking while with voltage offset you control only voltage but at all scenarios including overclock. Similar to it is using set voltage but correcting it up with Llc (Load Line Calibration). Lets say you set voltage to 1.2v, in normal usage it will either stay at it or reach it's maximum in normal condition but when needed, under full load it may ad some fractions of volts depending on it's steps.
So that means that if I set voltage to manual and enable power saving features, the voltage will step down according to load but it's not gonna be working as well as when you set offset
For ex. If voltage is manual 1.3v and power saving features enabled then it's gonna go to say 1.15v idle but when under moderate usage it's not gonna get a good voltage amount and it's gonna still get 1.3v not maybe 1.25 that were necessary

Which means that offset mode ia better for providing right voltage for ANY load level, while manual is just for full load and idle. Is that right? :p

Also can you tell me which exactly are the best scenarios for using offset over manual if I didn't get that right

Corgoi

Great
Apr 12, 2019
Yes, you got it right. Negative offset is better for control for under turbo speeds and positive offset and LLC for turbo or higher OC. I prefer using LLC as I usually want to control top speed voltage to not exceed limits but some MBs/BIOS have only offset.
Oh so you can't use them both? (negative and positive to set the idle and load voltages, respectively)