Core Voltage Doesn't Change when set in bios

Daniel Barnett

Honorable
Aug 28, 2013
Hi,
I recently bought an 8600k and an MSI Gaming Pro Carbon
I set my core voltage to 1.3v as a baseline for overclocking, HWinfo64 and all other software reports a voltage of 1.125 and it never changes. What is going on?

Solution
VID is the nominal voltage the CPU requests based on what frequency it's running at. At stock settings I believe Vcore would be a function of VID. But AFAIK it you can't really change VID. Vcore is the actual voltage that's being supplied to the CPU. Vcore is what you change and what will ultimately determines stability.

I am not aware of any reason to pay attention to VID when overclocking (or otherwise).

Edit: VID may be dependent on p state the CPU is in or something like that, rather than specifically frequency. Same idea though.

caqde

Distinguished
The voltage shown in Software is not always accurate. Depending on the motherboard your actual voltage could be higher or lower than that value including the one you set in the BIOS. You would need a multimeter that is touching the right spots on your motherboard to get an accurate picture of what the actual voltage is.

On another note is the reported 1.125V higher than what it said before you increased it to 1.3V in the bios.

Daniel Barnett

Honorable
Aug 28, 2013
I have the voltage set to manual VCORE at 1.3v, with windows power plan on high performance it idles at 1.125 and at "load" under occt medium data set it is still at 1.125

I've tried overclocking using intel extreme tuning and i just set the mutiplier and everything else to auto. The voltage averages around 1.32 for a 48x core multiplier. A higher voltage than is probably necessary.

Daniel Barnett

Honorable
Aug 28, 2013

There is small, medium, and large data set. Small being the most stressful, and large being the least stressful

And yes im sure, because in the home screen of the bios it says 8600k, 100 x 48, 1.3v

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador

As I said, I'm not talking about the BIOS. I meant that in HWiNFO64 there are sensor readings for VID, and there are sensor readings for Vcore. You want to be looking at the latter.

Please post a screenshot of hwinfo64.

Daniel Barnett

Honorable
Aug 28, 2013

Which voltage is used for stability when it comes to overclocking?

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
VID is the nominal voltage the CPU requests based on what frequency it's running at. At stock settings I believe Vcore would be a function of VID. But AFAIK it you can't really change VID. Vcore is the actual voltage that's being supplied to the CPU. Vcore is what you change and what will ultimately determines stability.

I am not aware of any reason to pay attention to VID when overclocking (or otherwise).

Edit: VID may be dependent on p state the CPU is in or something like that, rather than specifically frequency. Same idea though.

Solution

Daniel Barnett

Honorable
Aug 28, 2013
FV9xQOY.png

This is what my bios looks like

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
OK.

Yes, Vcore is what you want to be changing in the BIOS (along with potentially the load line calibration setting, which affects how the core voltage droops under load, not sure what area of your BIOS that would be in). As I said, in hwinfo64 look at Vcore and ignore VID. If Intel XTU "core voltage" is saying the same thing as hwinfo64 VID, I'd say you can probably ignore that too.

Daniel Barnett

Honorable
Aug 28, 2013

I've been overclocking all the way back to phenom II and core 2 quad. I guess names have changed over the years.
Overclockng my 4790k through intel extreme affects the Vcore directly, but apparently with newer gens it means something different.
Thanks for your help