[SOLVED] Core2Duo HDD size limit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tarmiricmi

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2015
Hi,
I have Core2Duo e8500 in some older OEM machine. I'm wondering, can I add 8 TB HDD? Are the HDD upgrades somewhere limited because of the chipset (Q33)?

Solution
This is solely dependent on your motherboards bios. Usually you will have a 2TB bios limit if you do not have a setting for AHCI mode for the Sata port type. You may not even be able to boot with a large drive attached. My old AMD 890Fx chipset board would boot with a 3TB attached but it literally took 5 minutes to POST. You will also need a 64bit OS for anything over 2tb.

You can get around the bios limit, if you have it, by installing a newer sata controller and connecting the drive to that but if you intend to boot from it then be sure to get one that is bootable.

popatim

Titan
This is solely dependent on your motherboards bios. Usually you will have a 2TB bios limit if you do not have a setting for AHCI mode for the Sata port type. You may not even be able to boot with a large drive attached. My old AMD 890Fx chipset board would boot with a 3TB attached but it literally took 5 minutes to POST. You will also need a 64bit OS for anything over 2tb.

You can get around the bios limit, if you have it, by installing a newer sata controller and connecting the drive to that but if you intend to boot from it then be sure to get one that is bootable.

Reactions: tarmiricmi
Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.