Question Correct Bios Settings for Ryzen 5 3600.

Aug 24, 2024
Hello, good day!
I'm probably pretty late to the party and this is more out of curisority question, but i've been scouring the internet for this answer and haven't been able to find any definitive answers (maybe because there isn't).

This might be long, i might make a TL;DR at the bottom.

I'm using the ryzen 5 3600 for 4 years now, my motherboard is an MSI X470 gamming plus model, i'm using the bios from 11/11/2019 (never had a reason to update, everything is working fine) and, as far as i know, all setting are default, from the day i built this computer i plugged it in, updated the bios and never had a second thought about it.

I came across this post and this one the other day and i noticed that the select answer had some bios configurations that i've never heard of. I was curious, so i researched a bit more about the topic and came across 1usmus bios settings, they are as follows
  • Global C-state Control = Enabled
  • Power Supply Idle Control = Low Current Idle
  • CPPC = Enabled
  • CPPC Preferred Cores = Enabled
  • AMD Cool'n'Quiet = Enabled
  • PPC Adjustment = PState 0
as seen here.

And here.

And an article by tomHardware also said that having CPPC on was something users needed to do

So i looked into my Bios and noticed that all these settings are at [AUTO], which i really don't know if they are disabled or enabled really.
As i mentioned, my computer as far as i know, is working fine, it never showed symptoms early ryzen users showed like Voltage constantly at 1.4, clocks constatly at a fixed speed constantly, etc.

My voltage at iddle right now, if i check ryzen master is

- Peak core voltage flcutuates between 1.01 - 1.11 (I've never seen it go below 1.0, ever)
- Average core voltage fluctuates between 0.7 - 0.8

Of course, during gamming the cores go up to 1.35 - 1.44, hover around that area, sometimes boost a bit more or less, i have a good case, so temperatures rarely exceed 70 C, and during low use, when browsing the internet, using discord voice calls and watching twitch it stays at around 1.35 for long periods, peaks at 1.475, but as i understand that's Zen2 doing it's thing, and like i said, i've been using the chip for 4 years now and all is fine.

At the same time, i do see other people saying back in the day that normal average core voltages at idle should be at 0.5, sometimes 0.3 and the voltages should go below 1.0, so maybe my settings aren't as perfect as they should.

My question comes from the fact that the information about 1usmus settings kinda die at the year 2019 and 2020, and there's a lot of conflicting information as zen3 came out, some people say that global c-states cause stutter and is better to keep it off, cppc on, cppc should stay off, that power supply iddle control dosn't do jack, yada, yada, yada

Basically, there's a lot of conflicting information about this after 2020 and given the amount of windows updates and chipset updates that have been released over the years, is hard to pinpoint if these settings are still worth it for my little 3600.

Also worth mentioning, i don't plan on overclocking, i like my PC quiet and cool, that's one of the reasons i'm asking this too, if there's a chance i could lower temperatures even more, then great!

So my question boils down to: "Are the 1usmus settings still valid today for a 3600 processor? Is it worth trying them as i might be leaving lower idle Voltages/temps on the table? Are any of these settings complete snake oil? or is it better to follow the if it isn't broken don't fix it mentality?"

TL;DR: See above paragraph.

Last edited:
Hello, good day!
I'm probably pretty late to the party and this is more out of curisority question, but i've been scouring the internet for this answer and haven't been able to find any definitive answers (maybe because there isn't).

This might be long, i might make a TL;DR at the bottom.

I'm using the ryzen 5 3600 for 4 years now, my motherboard is an MSI X470 gamming plus model, i'm using the bios from 11/11/2019 (never had a reason to update, everything is working fine) and, as far as i know, all setting are default, from the day i built this computer i plugged it in, updated the bios and never had a second thought about it.

I came across this post and this one the other day and i noticed that the select answer had some bios configurations that i've never heard of. I was curious, so i researched a bit more about the topic and came across 1usmus bios settings, they are as follows
  • Global C-state Control = Enabled
  • Power Supply Idle Control = Low Current Idle
  • CPPC = Enabled
  • CPPC Preferred Cores = Enabled
  • AMD Cool'n'Quiet = Enabled
  • PPC Adjustment = PState 0
as seen here.

And here.

And an article by tomHardware also said that having CPPC on was something users needed to do

So i looked into my Bios and noticed that all these settings are at [AUTO], which i really don't know if they are disabled or enabled really.
As i mentioned, my computer as far as i know, is working fine, it never showed symptoms early ryzen users showed like Voltage constantly at 1.4, clocks constatly at a fixed speed constantly, etc.

My voltage at iddle right now, if i check ryzen master is

- Peak core voltage flcutuates between 1.01 - 1.11 (I've never seen it go below 1.0, ever)
- Average core voltage fluctuates between 0.7 - 0.8

Of course, during gamming the cores go up to 1.35 - 1.44, hover around that area, sometimes boost a bit more or less, i have a good case, so temperatures rarely exceed 70 C, and during low use, when browsing the internet, using discord voice calls and watching twitch it stays at around 1.35 for long periods, peaks at 1.475, but as i understand that's Zen2 doing it's thing, and like i said, i've been using the chip for 4 years now and all is fine.

At the same time, i do see other people saying back in the day that normal average core voltages at idle should be at 0.5, sometimes 0.3 and the voltages should go below 1.0, so maybe my settings aren't as perfect as they should.

My question comes from the fact that the information about 1usmus settings kinda die at the year 2019 and 2020, and there's a lot of conflicting information as zen3 came out, some people say that global c-states cause stutter and is better to keep it off, cppc on, cppc should stay off, that power supply iddle control dosn't do jack, yada, yada, yada

Basically, there's a lot of conflicting information about this after 2020 and given the amount of windows updates and chipset updates that have been released over the years, is hard to pinpoint if these settings are still worth it for my little 3600.

Also worth mentioning, i don't plan on overclocking, i like my PC quiet and cool, that's one of the reasons i'm asking this too, if there's a chance i could lower temperatures even more, then great!

So my question boils down to: "Are the 1usmus settings still valid today for a 3600 processor? Is it worth trying them as i might be leaving lower idle Voltages/temps on the table? Are any of these settings complete snake oil? or is it better to follow the if it isn't broken don't fix it mentality?"

TL;DR: See above paragraph.
Those settings are as valid today as was at that time for same BIOS version but that may have changed with newer BIOS versions which should also be supplemented with appropriate chipset drivers.
For duration BIOS version has changed several times and you can see changes here
https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/X470-GAMING-PLUS-MAX/support
For all power saving features. you should always use only BIOS or Windows/OS settings. If you control thru Windows, leave BIOS at auto and vice versa.
As for settings and values that affect at idle, it much depends how idle your windows are, generally at or under 1% CPU usage can be considered real idle. Above that CPU frequency will jump up, more cores will be in use and with it voltages, power and temperatures no matter what initial setting.
As no notes for BIOS version state that it would invalidate 3600(x) compatibility, I would suggest updating BIOS and chipset drivers to last last versions specially if running W11 and leave all at defaults unless you want to boost performance but then most likely would need better than OEM CPU cooler.