[SOLVED] Correct IP but can’t print, help pls.

Sep 12, 2019
Sharp mx3500 printer. Vendor worked on it now users can’t print to it. First I pinged it (got ip from users computers) and got reply. Checked printer settings and network configuration gone, blank, they may have reset it. So I re-entered ip,subnet,gateway,dns - had to copy some info from another known working Sharp printer. Rebooted printer. Ping ok. Printers website can see printer. Still won’t print. Cleared que. Same issue. Anything else I can try ?

Solution
Does appear that there is some IP conflict.

And if the printer is DHCP then its IP address will be changing.

Almost the equivalent of someone moving the printer around the building and offices. Users (or more accurately the user's computers) cannot find the printer because its "location" has changed. Where location is the printer's IP address.

Plus a ping will just get a response that some device out there is using that pinged IP address. Likely not the printer.

Are you familiar with the "netstat" and "arp" commands?

https://www.lifewire.com/netstat-command-2618098

https://www.lifewire.com/beginners-guide-to-arp-4096766

Starter links. You can easily google for more information/explanations, and "how-to's".

If...

Ralston18

Titan
My thought is that the vendor simply left the printer in its' default/factory settings.

You were able to match (copy) some of those settings which is a good starting point and applicable to some extent.

However, each printer on the network must have a static IP address that is only for that given printer.

The Sharp MX3500 printer should be assigned a static IP outside of the network router's available DHCP IP address range. And every other network printer should likewise have its' own static IP address.

Also, the assigned static IP addresses should be reserved on the network DHCP router using the respective printer's MAC.

Once the printer's static IP address is set then the end user computers should be able to consistently find and print to that printer. Especially if the printer is configured as their default printer.

Sketch out a simple network diagram showing all devices and make note of those devices that are DHCP or Static. For the static devices, note their respective assigned static IP addresses to ensure there are no duplicates.

Sep 12, 2019
My thought is that the vendor simply left the printer in its' default/factory settings.

You were able to match (copy) some of those settings which is a good starting point and applicable to some extent.

However, each printer on the network must have a static IP address that is only for that given printer.

The Sharp MX3500 printer should be assigned a static IP outside of the network router's available DHCP IP address range. And every other network printer should likewise have its' own static IP address.

Also, the assigned static IP addresses should be reserved on the network DHCP router using the respective printer's MAC.

Once the printer's static IP address is set then the end user computers should be able to consistently find and print to that printer. Especially if the printer is configured as their default printer.

Sketch out a simple network diagram showing all devices and make note of those devices that are DHCP or Static. For the static devices, note their respective assigned static IP addresses to ensure there are no duplicates.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sep 12, 2019
I am able to ping printer and get reply. Also when using the printers web site portal I can make changes and those changes take affect on printer. Even the printers display panel states that changes have been made via web portal. So the IP is correct.

Ralston18

Titan
What IP address are you pinging?

And that IP address is indeed a static IP address assigned only to the printer and reserved on the router (via the printer's MAC) for the Sharp MX 3500 - correct?

Doing so ensures that no other network device will have or be assigned (via DHCP) the printer's Static IP.

(Barring of course some human error or some other misconfiguration where the printer's IP address is duplicated.)

Do you have the following User Manual - does the manual match the Sharp MX 3500?

https://siica.sharpusa.com/portals/...ide_MX2300N_2700N_3500N_3501N_4500N_4501N.pdf

The default printer IP address appears to be 192.168.1.28 per Page 2 (as numbered on the page).

Then, if the network addressing is as it should be, the next thing to investigate is the User Authentication(s) per Page 13.

Work to get just one user able to print, etc. and use that configuration as a model or template to set up the remaining users.

Getting just one user able to print may require setting or otherwise configuring the Sharp MX 3500 to be the user's default printer.

And ensuring that the end user's computer has the applicable printer drivers.

Reactions: artman51164
Sep 12, 2019
What IP address are you pinging?

And that IP address is indeed a static IP address assigned only to the printer and reserved on the router (via the printer's MAC) for the Sharp MX 3500 - correct?

Doing so ensures that no other network device will have or be assigned (via DHCP) the printer's Static IP.

(Barring of course some human error or some other misconfiguration where the printer's IP address is duplicated.)

Do you have the following User Manual - does the manual match the Sharp MX 3500?

https://siica.sharpusa.com/portals/...ide_MX2300N_2700N_3500N_3501N_4500N_4501N.pdf

The default printer IP address appears to be 192.168.1.28 per Page 2 (as numbered on the page).

Then, if the network addressing is as it should be, the next thing to investigate is the User Authentication(s) per Page 13.

Work to get just one user able to print, etc. and use that configuration as a model or template to set up the remaining users.

Getting just one user able to print may require setting or otherwise configuring the Sharp MX 3500 to be the user's default printer.

And ensuring that the end user's computer has the applicable printer drivers.[/

Yes, IP addy is static and was reserved for that printer. It was printing fine, no issues, with the 10.1..... addy until outside vendor did his thing.

A conflict with IP addy did cross my mind, I’ll need to further checked that out - how I’ll go about this, not sure. Printer was down couple of days so may be it’s static IP addy was given away to another ?

Also, in regards to User’s Authentication, didn’t cross my mind, I’ll check that also. Thx !

Q: Should I just set printer back to its default IP addy 192.168....and try get my pc to connect and print to it ?

Q: Our admins (I’m a tech) should be able to check for me if printers static IP addy is still good and not conflicting anywhere ?

Ralston18

Titan
You network is using the 10.1.xxx.xxx IP address - correct?

There are three ranges available and your response indicate that you are using the first listing below:

• 10.0.0.0 to 10.255.255.255.
  • 172.16.0.0 to 172.31.255.255.
  • 192.168.0.0 to 192.168.255.255.

The printer's IP address must be the same network address range being used by the network router with respect to your network.

So if the vendor reset the printer to its default 192.168.1.28 IP address then the printer needs to be reconfigured to rejoin the network.

So the printer will need to be in the 10.1.xxx.xxx range being used by your network and use the applicable subnet mask.

You should be able to use the printer's menus to find and print out the printer's current network configuration.

Take a look at any other available network printers. Print out their respective configuration pages. May help you get the MX 3500 back on the network and into service.

Especially if there is some protocol being used with respect to assigning static IP addresses.

Sep 12, 2019
You network is using the 10.1.xxx.xxx IP address - correct?

There are three ranges available and your response indicate that you are using the first listing below:

• 10.0.0.0 to 10.255.255.255.
  • 172.16.0.0 to 172.31.255.255.
  • 192.168.0.0 to 192.168.255.255.

The printer's IP address must be the same network address range being used by the network router with respect to your network.

So if the vendor reset the printer to its default 192.168.1.28 IP address then the printer needs to be reconfigured to rejoin the network.

So the printer will need to be in the 10.1.xxx.xxx range being used by your network and use the applicable subnet mask.

You should be able to use the printer's menus to find and print out the printer's current network configuration.

Take a look at any other available network printers. Print out their respective configuration pages. May help you get the MX 3500 back on the network and into service.

Especially if there is some protocol being used with respect to assigning static IP addresses.

Thanks. Been doing detective work in my brain and error in my part. I recreated the crime scene. Here goes:

A) Printer not printing
B) Tech (me) uses users pc an tries to print. Nothing.
C) Tech pings printer and gets reply
D) Tech checks printer and printer isn’t set to static but DHCP.
E) Tech re-configures printer with static IP addy printer had before (mistake)
F) Tech thinks he’s got it, tries to print, still nothing.
G) Tech pings printer and gets reply.

Didn’t cross my mine that the old static IP addy is being used already by another device. I’ll check it on Monday.

Ralston18

Titan
Does appear that there is some IP conflict.

And if the printer is DHCP then its IP address will be changing.

Almost the equivalent of someone moving the printer around the building and offices. Users (or more accurately the user's computers) cannot find the printer because its "location" has changed. Where location is the printer's IP address.

Plus a ping will just get a response that some device out there is using that pinged IP address. Likely not the printer.

Are you familiar with the "netstat" and "arp" commands?

https://www.lifewire.com/netstat-command-2618098

https://www.lifewire.com/beginners-guide-to-arp-4096766

Starter links. You can easily google for more information/explanations, and "how-to's".

If you are interested in such things, Powershell can also be very helpful with such things.

And I am a great believer in diagramming out a network to establish a "big picture" view.

Does not need to be a work of art per se - just the basics: devices, IP's (DHCP or static), subnet masks.

And there are some free apps available that will discover and draw such diagrams for you. Not always accurate and often limited in scope.

Still the commands above and some discovery and diagramming app may reveal a problem.

Solution