Question Correct RAM to buy for my new build ?

werty12345

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2015
Apologies if this has already been asked earlier. I am in the process of building a new PC and would like to know the correct RAM to install on my MoBo.

I am planning to buy this processor (Intel® Core™ i5-13500) which has the following memory specification:

This is the MoBo that I plan to buy.

As you can see from the Processor memory specs, it supports up to DDR5 4800 MT/s

Should I buy a RAM stick (DDR5) that supports speeds of up to 4800 MT/s only? If I install a RAM of higher speed (say 5600 or more), then will the transfer speed be capped at 4800 MT/s?

The listed support speed is basically the memory speed your cpu will run at without an overclock/xmp setting. The fastest that your cpu may run at oc is determined by the chipset/oc ability listed by the motherboard. With that cpu you should be good for memory between 6400-6800mt at xmp setting.

Reactions: werty12345
4800 is the speed at which the motherboard will boot.
After that, higher speeds come from implementing the appropriate xmp setting in the bios.

For the most part, Intel performance is not sensitive to ram speeds and most kits will work fine.
The key is to buy up front the max amount of ram you will ever use.
Do not plan on adding ram later.

Reactions: werty12345