Correct speed of oc not showing

dilligent

Honorable
Apr 15, 2013
Hello all hope you are all well, I have a question regarding the overclock on my i7 5820k. I have gone to the bios of my gigabyte x99 ud3p motherboard and used its preset of 5820k 4.3 ghx overclock and set the xmp of my ram to profile 1. Now cpu-z says its running that speed (not all the time as it still has the drop to lower speed when not being utilized) but no other programme says its running that speed. They all say it is running 3.3ghz, speccy, windows task (although the task maager show the overclock when utilized), passmark also shows 3.3. Also sometimes when i am streaming it stutters occasional but never on any game goes above 86 percent usage. Have i not overclocked properly. I have ran intel burn test and occt to test my current overclock and they say it is stable and also gamed on it for over a week with no issues. any help with this darn chip and or motherboard would be appreciated.

Solution
I have read of some folks who have had issues with their overclocks not showing up at all in Windows and with a 5820K. However, if you run a test like Intel Burn Test or the Prime95 test and run CPU-Z or CoreTemp (just 1, as running more than 1 can cause crashes) while those tests run and it shows the correct frequency then you should be just fine.

John Wittenberg

Reputable
Mar 9, 2014
Many programs just won't read anything more than what chip it is and then display the stock speed. If CPU-Z shows the overclocked speed, when there is a load to take the CPU out of low power mode, then there isn't an issue. Well, other than expecting software that wasn't written to see overclocks to see them - which is alright if you are just beginning your overclocking career ;-)

dilligent

Honorable
Apr 15, 2013
I was just making sure more then anything as when I overclocked my fx8350 the overclocks showed in these programs I am new to the intel world and the 5820k is my first try. I want to obviously try higher overclocks in time so just wondered if anyone else had come across this problem or indeed if ti is a problem.

John Wittenberg

Reputable
Mar 9, 2014
I have read of some folks who have had issues with their overclocks not showing up at all in Windows and with a 5820K. However, if you run a test like Intel Burn Test or the Prime95 test and run CPU-Z or CoreTemp (just 1, as running more than 1 can cause crashes) while those tests run and it shows the correct frequency then you should be just fine.

Solution