Question Correct way to transfer files from SSD without messing up file permissions

Oct 17, 2023
I recently built a new PC. Transferred stuff from old laptop by directly plugging in its SSD. Both are Windows 11. I had Bitlocker on, but entered the key and could transfer the files fine. After plugging back into the laptop, I had file permission errors all over the place. Start menu broken. Couldn't resolve with online solutions so I'm just resetting my laptop now.

I want to ask - is there a proper way to do such a direct file transfer without this occurring. Maybe I messed something up in my process? I had a lot of files, so a direct transfer made sense.

Oct 17, 2023
The easiest way would have just been a shared folder on the new system, and copy your files over the LAN.
NOT the Libraries they may live in, but just your personal files.

No shuffling drives around, no messing with the Start menu, easy peasy.
That's what I tried at first, but had issues over the network partway through for whatever reason and deemed it too slow.

The start menu broke because I think the permissions of the entire C drive were messed up

USAFRet

Titan
That's what I tried at first, but had issues over the network partway through for whatever reason and deemed it too slow.

The start menu broke because I think the permissions of the entire C drive were messed up
I don't see how the start menu, or permissions on the "C drive" could have gotten changed.
You didn't boot from this drive, did you?

Fix your network issues, and do it that way next time.

Oct 17, 2023
I don't see how the start menu, or permissions on the "C drive" could have gotten changed.
You didn't boot from this drive, did you?

Fix your network issues, and do it that way next time.
No, accessed as D drive on new PC, not booted from. Maybe I'd accidentally written by mistake

To transfer user folder files "properly", you have to copy them somewhere else that every user has access first. Then you can copy it back to the new user folder while logged in as the user that owns the folder.

Do not try to copy files from one user folder directly to another. Windows treats user folder security to "nobody but the user has general access to it" by default and trying to circumvent this will not end well most of the time.