[SOLVED] Corrupt file or drive?

sirhawkeye

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2014
So in Windows 10 (Home) with the latest (non-Preview) build installed, I think 1909) I'm getting a strange error that pops up periodically when I try to launch the Windows Photo Viewer by selecting an image file.

The error says something about how the system could not read the file. But upon launching it again, it will launch and not show the error. But htis problem only occurs with the Windows Photo Viewer program and nothing else. The photos themselves open fine with other programs. And yet this error doesn't pop up regularly, maybe every 20th time I try to launch it via double-clicking on a photo (I have the app set as the default for JPEG files which is what I'm trying to open most of the time).
This is the only app on my system that seems to have this problem. No other apps cause this error to come up.

Is it possible the Windows Photo Viewer app is just corrupt? Or is it possible my file system is corrupt or the drive (which is an M.2 NVME SSD) is bad?
Nothing else on my computer is corrupt and I'm not getting any other errors about files being corrupt or file system errors...
I wonder if maybe this is related to a Windows update?

Thoughts? If I can get a screen shot of the error I"ll try to post it. The other thing is that it's hard to replicate the issue. It sort of happens randomly.

Solution
2004 is latest version of Win 10 but 1909 is close enough.

right click start button
choose powershell (admin)
type SFC /scannow and press enter
once its completed, copy/paste this command into same window:
Repair-WindowsImage -Online -RestoreHealth and press enter
SFC fixes system files, second command cleans image files, re run SFC if it failed to fix all files and restart PC

Colif

Win 11 Master
2004 is latest version of Win 10 but 1909 is close enough.

right click start button
choose powershell (admin)
type SFC /scannow and press enter
once its completed, copy/paste this command into same window:
Repair-WindowsImage -Online -RestoreHealth and press enter
SFC fixes system files, second command cleans image files, re run SFC if it failed to fix all files and restart PC

Solution