Question corrupt hard drive with unallocated space

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Tortz

Commendable
Apr 10, 2020
I have a hard drive that is corrupt and I am trying to recover the data. I have the drive connected through sata. As of right now the drive is not showing up under this pc, if look under disk management I can see it. The drive has 9mb of unallocated space. Is that the reason for it not showing up in this p? . If I were to created a new simple volume to allocate the 9mb of space will it wipe the other data on the drive?

So you are saying that you have 2 drives and they were Raid 1 mirroring each other? What is the status of the other drive? If your father was unable to access his data is sounds like both drives failed since if only 1 drive failed the other would still be accessible, which is the purpose of Raid 1. Have you checked the other drive to see if its files are readable? Download the free Disk Internals Linux Reader referenced above and run the app to see what it shows on both disks.