[SOLVED] Corrupted File Record Segments Cannot Be Fixed

Jan 4, 2021
Hi, I have corrupted file record segments that don't go away. I often get a message from Windows telling me to restart to fix drive errors. When I restart however, nothing gets fixed and I still get the same messages. I've tried using the command "chkdsk C: /F", but this doesn't do anything on restart either. Here is the output of the command (without /F):

C:\WINDOWS\system32>chkdsk C:
The type of the file system is NTFS.

WARNING! /F parameter not specified.
Running CHKDSK in read-only mode.

Stage 1: Examining basic file system structure ...
Deleted corrupt attribute list entry
with type code 80 in file 11B.
Attribute record (80, "") from file record segment 486
is corrupt.
Attribute record (80, "") from file record segment 10596
is corrupt.
with type code 80 in file 1358.
Attribute record (80, "") from file record segment 19C
is corrupt.
Attribute record (80, "") from file record segment F82
is corrupt.
with type code 80 in file 1815.
Attribute record (80, "") from file record segment 141
is corrupt.
Attribute record (80, "") from file record segment 3F4AC
is corrupt.
Attribute record (80, "") from file record segment 7E7D5
is corrupt.
912640 file records processed.
File verification completed.
Phase duration (File record verification): 7.20 seconds.
File record segment 141 is an orphan.
File record segment 19C is an orphan.
File record segment 486 is an orphan.
File record segment F82 is an orphan.
File record segment 10596 is an orphan.
File record segment 3F4AC is an orphan.
File record segment 7E7D5 is an orphan.
9120 large file records processed.
Phase duration (Orphan file record recovery): 0.00 milliseconds.

Errors found. CHKDSK cannot continue in read-only mode.

I've also been having an issue with Windows Update. I keep getting an Error encountered and the text says "We could not complete the install because an update service was shutting down." I have a feeling that these two issues are linked. Aside from this, I haven't had any other noticeable errors come from the disk corruption errors. Any help would be appreciated.

Solution
Hi, thanks for the reply. Do you have any more details of why this is? Can it be prevented? How sure can we be that it will die completely?
Because the mechanics inside HDD's are so delicate and fragile. The disk may live longer, but chance is it won't. You - the end user - can choose to use it further with the risk it is, or you can reduce risk of data loss by replacing the disk.
Jan 4, 2021
Hi, thanks for the reply. Do you have any more details of why this is? Can it be prevented? How sure can we be that it will die completely?

Because the mechanics inside HDD's are so delicate and fragile. The disk may live longer, but chance is it won't. You - the end user - can choose to use it further with the risk it is, or you can reduce risk of data loss by replacing the disk.

Reactions: egunn
Solution
Jan 4, 2021
Ok, thank you for your insight. One more thing, do you know if I were to create a disk image of my current C: drive (which has corrupted sectors), and then restored it on a new SSD that I bought, would there be issues? I've already successfully created a disk image backup of my current C: drive using Macrium Reflect Free and there were no errors.

USAFRet

Titan
Ok, thank you for your insight. One more thing, do you know if I were to create a disk image of my current C: drive (which has corrupted sectors), and then restored it on a new SSD that I bought, would there be issues? I've already successfully created a disk image backup of my current C: drive using Macrium Reflect Free and there were no errors.
Copying corrupt data results in corrupt data on the target drive.

Drives die. All of them eventually. Some soon, others may last for years.
You can't prevent it.

The only way to protect the data is to actually protect the data, and don't worry about the physical drive.