Corsair’s New Dominator Platinum DDR4 Is For Asus ROG Motherboards

Status
Not open for further replies.

True, but people paying for ROG mboards aren't worried about cost. Besides, if these have timings that are specific to the mboards, that means better compatibility, faster tuning, and better performance than a generic DIMM.

Matt_550

Reputable
Dec 29, 2015

True, but people paying for ROG mboards aren't worried about cost. Besides, if these have timings that are specific to the mboards, that means better compatibility, faster tuning, and better performance than a generic DIMM.

Why even bother with these? The Trident Z or the Ripjaws V are cheaper and have better CAS latency. The only reason to get these is a fashion statement.

nycalex

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2009
should be at least CAS 14-14-14-34 for that amount of money.

i just built a system around a ROG hero. memory of choice was trident z 32gb 14-14-14-34 cas @ $179.
you would have to be brain dead to spend $189 for 16gb @ 16 cas

You kind of hit the nail on the head as the entire purpose is obvious, these are for the people who want their RAM to match their board setup.

Also there is the Vengeance Pro line which is more in line with the Ripjaws price wise.

To each their own.

tominsac

Distinguished
May 26, 2011
Corsair and Gskill are both great companies imo. and I support both. if someone wants esthetics or purpose built, then who are we to deny them?

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
Find it funny peeps often pays a hefty premium for the miniscule performance increase that memory gives, todays cpu's with their way better memory handeling and way bigger cache makes the difference between super premium memory and better normal memory a couple percentages at best. If unlimited budget sure why not, otherwise that additional cost could be placed on other components that yeild better benefits.

I understand your point but these are not faster. :) What does make a difference is the access times which is calculated by the CAS latency and speed of the memory. I agree for almost anything one would do on a non-server, bandwidth matters not.

16 cas / 3200 Mhz = 5ns (These, 5ns is pretty much the norm today, even old DDR3 it was pretty normal for 6ns)
13 cas / 3200 Mhz = 4ns (trident has some new sticks just came out at this speed. 4ns access may matter for some heavy workloads)

The actual frequency would be 1600Mhz, not 3200Mhz, since DDR is double data rate and transfer two chunks of data per clock cycle.

Yes but the market that the Trident and Dominator lines are targeted the difference will not be enough. That is why I only went with DDR3 1600 for my last build, I just didn't see an advantage in paying an extra $100 or so for faster RAM when that extra money could give me more RAM or a better GPU.

And these are marketed to the people ho want to match their motherboard and color design and I get that. Back when Asus had a blue theme to their top end non RoG boards I had blue and black DIMMs to match my board and internal setup. I wouldn't mind these as I like the new RoG color and think it would be nice to match. Just wish they had it in their cheaper Vengeance lineup.

Status
Not open for further replies.