Question Corsair 1000D...To cut or not to cut. That is the question

Hi All,

First time posting in the forums so if this is in the wrong place let me know!

I'd like to make a build log for my new custom loop in this Corsair 1000D monster. Anyone experienced with modding this case would be a welcome help to me!

I'm outfitting with 2 Singularity Computers 300mm Protium Reservoirs and have to decide whether to case mod this bad boy or simply mount these res offset from each other. Warming up my Dremel 4300 but I'm so hesitant to start chopping this beauty to bits!

Had anyone done this without guilt?

Lutfij

Titan
My first foray into cutting up a case was with a cheap Chinese made chassis back in 2003/2004. I then spent some time understand what to cut and how to cut it, which is why now, I'm not so hesitant about cutting cases up if that route is necessary.

To note, you could post pics on your build log before cutting things up to get some feedback from this community and to ass, a yes/no guestimate from your own consciousness. Sometimes people post and then think, no I'll do it this way.

Welcome to the community, newcomer!
:)

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Ppl have no qualms about chopping into their car. Rims, tires, lighting, engines, paint, stereo equipment. I'm sure that Honda and Chrysler had no idea just what was going to happen to their Civics and Jeeps.

Why ppl then baulk at even a few drill holes to make a 140mm fan fit a 120mm rear exhaust is beyond me. Just because the factory says it can't fit? Blah.

Do yourself a huge favor. Stop by any flea market, yardsale, classified add and pick up a $5 pc. Doesn't matter if it works or not. All you want is the case anyway. Then get chop happy. See exactly how to cut plastic or thin metal side panels without damage, see what removing riveted framing does, whether or not hdd trays play a role in stability not just function. Better you understand exactly what's going to happen with your case mods to the 1000D before you start chopping.

My first foray into cutting up a case was with a cheap Chinese made chassis back in 2003/2004. I then spent some time understand what to cut and how to cut it, which is why now, I'm not so hesitant about cutting cases up if that route is necessary.

To note, you could post pics on your build log before cutting things up to get some feedback from this community and to ass, a yes/no guestimate from your own consciousness. Sometimes people post and then think, no I'll do it this way.

Welcome to the community, newcomer!
:)

Thank you for the advice and the warm welcome. I will post some pics later today so that those of you more experienced can perhaps give better advice and guidance. This is my 14th custom build, but my 1st custom loop, and as I tend to engineer things down to the bone, I want to prevent my enthusiasm from getting the better of me!

Ppl have no qualms about chopping into their car. Rims, tires, lighting, engines, paint, stereo equipment. I'm sure that Honda and Chrysler had no idea just what was going to happen to their Civics and Jeeps.

Why ppl then baulk at even a few drill holes to make a 140mm fan fit a 120mm rear exhaust is beyond me. Just because the factory says it can't fit? Blah.

Do yourself a huge favor. Stop by any flea market, yardsale, classified add and pick up a $5 pc. Doesn't matter if it works or not. All you want is the case anyway. Then get chop happy. See exactly how to cut plastic or thin metal side panels without damage, see what removing riveted framing does, whether or not hdd trays play a role in stability not just function. Better you understand exactly what's going to happen with your case mods to the 1000D before you start chopping.

You make a great point sir! I feel like a real turnip for not even considering that. Lol.
I have a few old cases lying around that will make perfect guinea pigs for the Dremel work I think I may need to do on the 1000D.

Thank you!

So, here is the case itself with the area I am thinking of cutting out outlined in red to make room for the 2nd Protium Res to be mounted on the rear Rad. I have knocked up my other option in CAD (see the last 2 attached images) to see what things would look like if I do not mod the case. I will be removing the bottom drive bays for certain and will laser cut a back panel "shroud" from acrylic to add some finish where parts have been removed. Although I am building for performance, the artist in me definitely thinks about aesthetics. I am concerned about chewing into the cable management area in the back of the case should I mod a good portion of that area out. I'd love to know if the more experienced modders here see any problems or possibilities I am not seeing.

WT9enTr.jpg
6P9l02G.jpg
7GRbDwk.jpg

TRENDING THREADS