Question Corsair 3600 mhz ram for Z370P D3 (rev. 1.0)

gabecz

Commendable
Jan 21, 2022
Hi

I read the list of compatible rams but am asking now the community if what are the odds that if a ram is not listed there it won't work? To be more specific I'd like to have a Corsair cmk32 kit with 3600 mhz (2x16, no space for 4x because of cpu cooler, as of today I have 2x8 Corsair Vengeance LPX CMK16GX4M2A2133C13 according to Aida64 but haven't taken the computer to pieces in ages can't confirm. The ram is not listed in the compatibility list on the Gigabyte website hence my confusion.

My pick would be CMK32GX4M2D3600C18 from amazon. It's to return for $0 so I can always give it a try it'd be just good to hear that someone can say sure it'll work or if someone is having the same combo with Z370P D3, I only would like to upgrade because I see my ram being exhausted when playing games and because ~50 bucks is not a huge investment to chill the system, and maybe have slightly better performance.

Another question is if I NEED 3600 mhz or 3200 would be just fine and having 2x16gb would make no difference at all (3200 vs 3600 it is)

I do not overclock.

Thanks

Gabe

Lutfij

Titan
What processor do you have on the motherboard's socket? You should be good to throw in any kit of ram, including the one you've listed above, just don't mix and match. Also prior to your ram upgrade, make sure you're on the latest BIOS version, clear the CMOS and then drop the rams in slots A2 and B2.

Just an FYI, if you look at tighter latencies, they cost more but their return is slightly better FPS if that's what you're pursuing in your titles.

My vote - 2x16GB DDR4-3600MHz + tight latency kit.

gabecz

Commendable
Jan 21, 2022
Thanks. I have an i7-8700K and an nVidia GeForce RTX3070 to make the list full. With a 65 QN90D tv I understand 4k on full-full would need a better vga at least but I don't mind "only" 1440 or 1080 on maximum settings.
I'm not sure which slot is which but I cannot put ram into the 1st slot closest to the CPU because my cooler fan is in the way. So that kind of defines where I will pop in the sticks. As per a picture online the slots that I'm using now and will be using with the new pair are DDR4_1 and DDR4_2
The "brighter grey" slots on this picture
https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/2e8AAOSw-NZiXE-P/s-l960.webp

Off: I struggle setting up HDR but when I did and it worked for a second I didn't like its extreme brightness. I'm exaggerating but the tv is burning my eyeballs out as it is. I just don't like when options are greyed out because "your hardware isn't good enough" :)

Misgar

Respectable
Mar 2, 2023
setting up HDR but when I did and it worked for a second I didn't like its extreme brightness
I enable HDR in Windows Display on my multimedia PC (connected to my OLED TV) when playing back 10-bit H.265 HDR movies. At the end of the movie, I switch off HDR and return Windows to normal screen brightness.

With a 65 QN90D tv I understand 4k on full-full would need a better vga at least but I don't mind "only" 1440 or 1080 on maximum settings.
My lower spec GTX 1650 can be set to 3840 x 2160p resolution which matches the TV in 4K UHD mode. Not fast enough refresh rate for games, but the 1650 plays back movies fine.

I cannot put ram into the 1st slot closest to the CPU because my cooler fan is in the way.
If you have a tower cooler, unclip the front fan, install the RAM in the "hidden" slots, then replace the fan. It doesn't matter if the fan sticks up slightly above the top of the heatsink, provided you can get the lid back on the case. That's the way I run the fans on my NH-D14 and NH-D15.

If you need a low profile 6-pipe air cooler, consider the ThermalTake AXP 120-X67. You can generally access all DIMM slots.

81iBCtU1mjL._SL1500_.jpg

71vrGJdYAtL._SL1500_.jpg

My pick would be CMK32GX4M2D3600C18 from amazon.
CPU World shows the i7-8700K is rated to support up to DDR4-2666 RAM, so good luck overclocking it to 3600MT/s. You'll have more success at higher frequencies, with only 2 DIMMs instead of 4 DIMMs. If the 3200MT/s kit is significantly cheaper, I'd go for that.

I do not overclock.
Strictly speaking, running RAM faster than stock JEDEC speed (2133 or 2400) using XMP settings held in SPD, is classed as overclocking. I suspect what you mean is you don't overclock your CPU.

If you do run out of CPU horsepower, a mild CPU overclock can be achieved by increasing the multiplier a few steps. The BIOS will increase Vcore up and down as required, but to avoid excess voltage, I usually tweak the maximum voltage for CPUs of this age and set Vcore to 1.250V max.

This is well below the "normal" safe limit of 1.300V and way below enthusiast levels of 1.40 to 1.45V. Still with a single core turbo boost of 4.7GHz, you should be OK at stock speeds.

TRENDING THREADS