[SOLVED] Corsair 4000D Airflow vs Be Quiet! Pure Base 500DX vs Fractal Design Meshify 2 Compact

eternalabys

Honorable
Nov 8, 2018
I recently ordered a Meshify C, shipped the wrong side panel version (Solid side panel vs dark TG), decided to return it and take a gander at some more cases while I'm at it.
Mainly looking for GPU thermals as I'm going to be using a top mount AIO (Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240) for my CPU.

Was looking at the Meshify 2 Compact because it was an update to the Meshify C. (This case is the most expensive out of all 3 of these.)

Looking at the Corsair 4000D Airflow because it has pretty good GPU thermals, but some people say that it has issues, I would like for people to explain why though.

Checked the 500DX mainly because I saw a post saying that it was better quality, although, I'm not too sure on that one.

Honorable mentions: Corsair 5000D (Very expensive and would mean I'd be poorer than I ever was :'( ).

Solution
Forgot to close thread, went with the Meshify 2 (non compact as the extra room helped with watercooling equipment. But out of those 3 I'd still go with the Meshify 2 Compact due to it having proper filtration, if you don't care about dust, get the 4000D Airflow or Lian Li O11 or smth like it.

Lutfij

Titan
There's an in depth review of the 4000D by Steve from Gamer's Nexus;
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYsOmJ9X7Ow

Skip the 5000D, not worth it IMHO, provided you're going for a show stopping build with watercooling in it and it's going to be front an center in a professional environment. I was on your prior thread, about the side panels on the Meshify C, I forgot to ask you what your innards would've been...since you could probably round up your build with a sub 100 USD chassis or even a 50USD chassis.

So if you will, the specs to your proposed build, not withstanding the AIO mentioned above. Ideally you should have the AIO at the front to help with airflow, let the heat convect out the top since hot air rises.

eternalabys

Honorable
Nov 8, 2018
There's an in depth review of the 4000D by Steve from Gamer's Nexus;
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYsOmJ9X7Ow

Skip the 5000D, not worth it IMHO, provided you're going for a show stopping build with watercooling in it and it's going to be front an center in a professional environment. I was on your prior thread, about the side panels on the Meshify C, I forgot to ask you what your innards would've been...since you could probably round up your build with a sub 100 USD chassis or even a 50USD chassis.

So if you will, the specs to your proposed build, not withstanding the AIO mentioned above. Ideally you should have the AIO at the front to help with airflow, let the heat convect out the top since hot air rises.

Thanks for the quick reply, the specs of my current build are relatively meh, but I'm planning on upgrading so future proofing my case would be my main priority right now.

Current Specs:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3200G (OC'd so it gives decent performance, except for the fact that it's a very hot running chip with the OC.)
CPU Cooler: AMD Stock cooler (Wraith Prism)
Motherboard: ASRock B450M Pro4
RAM: Patriot Viper Steel 16GB (2x8GB) 3200MHz CL16
SSD: ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM
GPU: Vega 8 Graphics (iGPU)
Case: Cougar MX330
PSU: Corsair TXM 550W
Fans: 3x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 3 (High speed)

Upgraded Specs:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X
CPU Cooler: Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240
Motherboard: ASRock B450M Pro4 (I've checked the BIOS'es, Ryzen 5000 is compatible with this motherboard.)
RAM: Patriot Viper Steel 16GB (2x8GB) 3200MHz CL16
SSD: ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM
GPU: Nvidia RTX 3070 (or 4070 at this point.)
Case: Will be changing once decided on new one. (Literally the whole point of this post.)
PSU: Corsair TXM 550W
Fans: 3x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 3 (High speed)

Corsair 4000D Airflow
limited radiator\fan placement options;
no bottom under-GPU fan locations, only 120mm rear, only 2x 140mm front, only 2x 120\140mm top.
Meshify 2 Compact
also limited fan\radiator options.
plus i've just never liked the front design on the Meshify.
be quiet! 500DX
again, limited fan\radiator options. only single slot in top, no bottom.
the be quiet! Silent Base 802 is a much better option.

a cases "Wish List" with mostly better looking mid-large ATX with better cooling and other features available:
Newegg.com = Cases
Ideally you should have the AIO at the front to help with airflow, let the heat convect out the top since hot air rises.
out of many liquid cooled arrangements now through many cases & coolers;
i'd have to say this is incorrect.

pulling air in through your radiator(s) is going to be adding heat to the entire system,
effectively adding temperature to every component.

exhausting out through your radiator(s) effectively pumps out this CPU generated heat while all other system components also benefit from the cool air being pumped in.
if you have adequate cool air intake than the CPU's radiator will still have plenty of cool force flowing through it's fins on the way out.

eternalabys

Honorable
Nov 8, 2018
limited radiator\fan placement options;
no bottom under-GPU fan locations, only 120mm rear, only 2x 140mm front, only 2x 120\140mm top.
also limited fan\radiator options.
plus i've just never liked the front design on the Meshify.

again, limited fan\radiator options. only single slot in top, no bottom.
the be quiet! Silent Base 802 is a much better option.

a cases "Wish List" with mostly better looking mid-large ATX with better cooling and other features available:
Newegg.com = Cases
out of many liquid cooled arrangements now through many cases & coolers;
i'd have to say this is incorrect.

pulling air in through your radiator(s) is going to be adding heat to the entire system,
effectively adding temperature to every component.

exhausting out through your radiator(s) effectively pumps out this CPU generated heat while all other system components also benefit from the cool air being pumped in.
if you have adequate cool air intake than the CPU's radiator will still have plenty of cool force flowing through it's fins on the way out.

Thanks for the reply,

I'm mainly only looking to put the thick 240mm rad at the top and that's it, and good GPU temps are what is mainly important to me, limited options don't really matter when it's only one rad with an air cooled GPU, at least IMHO. Personally, I like the look of the Meshify, and the Meshify 2 has a better and more updated version of the mesh panels. I think the Fractal case might be the case I'm going with, while putting 1-2 Silent Wings 3 fans under the GPU for added airflow.

limited options don't really matter when it's only one rad with an air cooled GPU...
the Fractal case might be the case I'm going with, while putting 1-2 Silent Wings 3 fans under the GPU for added airflow.
the Meshify 2 only offers room for one bottom mounted fan.
and only for 120mm. you don't state which version of the Silent Wings you have.
of course it will work fine with 2x lower front & 1x bottom mounted all focused towards the GPU.

if you plan to, or decide to, upgrade your cooling in the future you will be very limited by placement and size options.
that is partially what "limited options" means.
i always plan on a case lasting me at least 5-6 years.
through that time and on i know that multiple upgrades and other options are going to present themselves,
so i always try leave future options available vs just building with a limited single path in mind.

eternalabys

Honorable
Nov 8, 2018
the Meshify 2 only offers room for one bottom mounted fan.
and only for 120mm. you don't state which version of the Silent Wings you have.
of course it will work fine with 2x lower front & 1x bottom mounted all focused towards the GPU.

if you plan to, or decide to, upgrade your cooling in the future you will be very limited by placement and size options.
that is partially what "limited options" means.
i always plan on a case lasting me at least 5-6 years.
through that time and on i know that multiple upgrades and other options are going to present themselves,
so i always try leave future options available vs just building with a limited single path in mind.

I have the 120mm Silent Wings 3 fans. The absolute most I'm willing to do is put an AIO on my GPU as well, but that's a very big if, I don't trust myself with going the full custom loop route as I believe paying 100+ for cooling is quite absurd. Having more options is good, but if you have too many, you'll start looking in to ways of optimizing it to the point where it's annoying, at least that's my own opinion as it tends to be that I over look in to things.

eternalabys

Honorable
Nov 8, 2018
Forgot to close thread, went with the Meshify 2 (non compact as the extra room helped with watercooling equipment. But out of those 3 I'd still go with the Meshify 2 Compact due to it having proper filtration, if you don't care about dust, get the 4000D Airflow or Lian Li O11 or smth like it.

Solution