Review Corsair 7000D Airflow Review: New High-End Workstation King?

mikewinddale

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2016
I have a few questions:

(1) Are the cable-routing channels blocked when you install an E-ATX motherboard?

(2) Are there any E-ATX compatible cases that have cable-routing channels that are not blocked by an E-ATX motherboard?

(3) With cases that have side panel fans, what happens if you forget to disconnect the fans before removing the side panel? I imagine your motherboard will get a hard tug, and perhaps some bent pins. Are there such a thing as a safety quick disconnect fan cable extender? I.e., a fan cable extender that is designed to be the weakest point, so that if you tug it, the cable extender will disconnect, without putting tension on the fan or the motherboard? If such a cable exists, then removing the side panel without first disconnecting the fan might break the cable extender, but that's better than breaking your fan or breaking your motherboard.

And a comment:

I would have liked to see bottom fan slots. In my current build, with a Supermicro M12SWA-TF motherboard and a NH-U14S TR4-SP3 cooler, the heatsink is oriented so that the CPU fans blow vertically. So in my Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2 case, I set up the case fans so that I've got 2 exhaust fans directly above the CPU, and 2 intake fans at the bottom of the case, blowing upwards towards those 2 exhaust fans. Those 2 bottom intake fans are probably not essential, since I also have 2 front intake fans, but I like having them anyway.

Udyr

Honorable
Mar 3, 2021
(3) With cases that have side panel fans, what happens if you forget to disconnect the fans before removing the side panel? I imagine your motherboard will get a hard tug, and perhaps some bent pins. Are there such a thing as a safety quick disconnect fan cable extender? I.e., a fan cable extender that is designed to be the weakest point, so that if you tug it, the cable extender will disconnect, without putting tension on the fan or the motherboard? If such a cable exists, then removing the side panel without first disconnecting the fan might break the cable extender, but that's better than breaking your fan or breaking your motherboard.
From my personal experience, if the motherboard is properly secured to the chassis, the worst case scenario is a bent pin on the motherboard's header or a ripped fan cable, usually closest to the connector.

With a cable extension you won't have such problems, unless you go full King Arthur pulling the sword out of the rock, since the cable will be long enough to be a non issue. Also, some fans come with a cable long enough to somewhat prevent these accidents.

Reactions: mikewinddale

Sleepy_Hollowed

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2017
This is an amazing case, and makes me wonder why I haven't been buying Full-Tower cases, since I usually use 4 disc RAID on mid towers and everything is so tight and my options are always limited.

This might be the case I get next, and switch to Full Tower permanently.

The price is very reasonable considering they've thought of everything with this one.

I have a few questions:

(1) Are the cable-routing channels blocked when you install an E-ATX motherboard?

(2) Are there any E-ATX compatible cases that have cable-routing channels that are not blocked by an E-ATX motherboard?

And a comment:

I would have liked to see bottom fan slots. In my current build, with a Supermicro M12SWA-TF motherboard and a NH-U14S TR4-SP3 cooler, the heatsink is oriented so that the CPU fans blow vertically. So in my Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2 case, I set up the case fans so that I've got 2 exhaust fans directly above the CPU, and 2 intake fans at the bottom of the case, blowing upwards towards those 2 exhaust fans. Those 2 bottom intake fans are probably not essential, since I also have 2 front intake fans, but I like having them anyway.

Use a fan extension cable. Problem solved. They will disconnect on any soft tug/pull

Reactions: mikewinddale