[SOLVED] Corsair Commander Pro fan curve help

TobinUK

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2014
Today i installed my commander pro to my RGB setup which is link with LED strips x4 and 6 in total LL120 fans including CPU fan which is on a Corsair H60 cooler. I used the pre-sets today to start off and noticed quite mode was not very quite and kept ramping up and down every few minutes and then back to quite and ramp to max all while just sitting on desktop and CPU usage around 1%. So little google around and trying to work out how to do custom fans curves, I've labelled 'new custom test' curve to CPU in the sensor drop down menu. Trying out max RPM at 1,500 at 70c to start and then dropping to 750 RPM at 40c with a gradual curve. Seems fine but any pointers would be great. Being new to this custom fan curve software and no idea on how to do them in the last hour or so, how do i go about setting case fans and what to set curve to or is this something you can just use the setting on all fans and see how it goes as i was just using 'quite mode pre-set' on the whole lot. Should case fans be set to something else other than CPU temps as i see GPU on the list and also ROG Strix B550-f temp1 through until temp 12.

My pump fan is plugged into mobo directly still and assume this is still fine? Think the Qfan on mobo is optimising that fan judging the look of bios info.

Any help is appreciated on how to start the fan curve and what points and temps I should set at or what to look for :)

Solution
I use a Commander Pro with 4 EK Vardar fans on my radiators. I run the temp probe off a T-connector to monitor coolant temp of my watercooling loop. The temp probe does a pretty solid job of evaluating temps, but the ability for the Commander Pro to maintain a stable fan curve takes a lot of adjustment and I got to the point I gave up and set specific % for the majority of my day. Also have a 100%, 50% and 0% setting to evaluate different speeds and noise levels as I need. With PWM curves, there is a lot of ramping up and down and many times, the fans are running at much higher RPM than the curve dictates they should. This is even with setting the fan type to 4-pin specifically (since they are 4-pin) and taking off auto.

Notorious^

Reputable
Feb 17, 2019
Man i used to use the fan curve option but it takes a lot of time dialing in that curve to keep that annoying "up & down" on the fans. I used the CPU package for the sensor when i was doing that.

I find it more satisfying to use the fixed RPM option instead of the fan curve. set the fans to a RPM of your liking and be done with it. I have mine set to 1,100 RPMS and cant hear them (ML 120's) but maybe i'm deaf too(wife says i am LoL). Only time i max the RPM's to 2,400 is when i am benchmarking and overclocking the piss out of my CPU.

Don't overthink it, keep it simple

TobinUK

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2014
Man i used to use the fan curve option but it takes a lot of time dialing in that curve to keep that annoying "up & down" on the fans. I used the CPU package for the sensor when i was doing that.

I find it more satisfying to use the fixed RPM option instead of the fan curve. set the fans to a RPM of your liking and be done with it. I have mine set to 1,100 RPMS and cant hear them (ML 120's) but maybe i'm deaf too(wife says i am LoL). Only time i max the RPM's to 2,400 is when i am benchmarking and overclocking the piss out of my CPU.

Don't overthink it, keep it simple

Ok cool, so for example just to play around with case fans i set the fans to say 1,100 RPM and it will just stay constant at that level no matter the application? Ive left the CPU curve as it seems to be doing ok, just the whole case fans was puzzling me where to start. I did notice though when i set the presets and did a Cinebench that the fans spun up to 1650 RPM although fans state max 1500 RPM. I tried upping my curve at the peak to 1650 RPM and it in fact did, is there some percentage allowance on the fans to go over?

Notorious^

Reputable
Feb 17, 2019
Ok cool, so for example just to play around with case fans i set the fans to say 1,100 RPM and it will just stay constant at that level no matter the application? Ive left the CPU curve as it seems to be doing ok, just the whole case fans was puzzling me where to start. I did notice though when i set the presets and did a Cinebench that the fans spun up to 1650 RPM although fans state max 1500 RPM. I tried upping my curve at the peak to 1650 RPM and it in fact did, is there some percentage allowance on the fans to go over?

Yes, when it's set to fixed RPM it will stay at that RPM no matter what which is fine for gaming. If you're doing any benchmarking i always max them out for max cooling.

Typically from what i have seen with Corsair fans, it never reaches the max RPM. Mine will get up to like 2,360+ RPMs something like that but you can certainly hear those mofo's running full.

HappyTrails

Upstanding
Oct 30, 2020
For me found settings curves in icue very easy and simple. Run the commander pro with 6 LL120's and have 3 other rgb connect to lighting nodes. Found same thing that default fan profiles too aggressive for my liking. Setup custom curves that make pc much happier and quiet. Have fan spin as low as 850 up to 2000rpm at 70c. But it very diminishing returns for high fan speeds beyond certain rpm it not get any cooler just noisier so its good to set a limit (2000rpm is above diminishing returns but set it this high to get my attention if I up to 70c something very wrong and loud fans gives the warnings). Ramping used to occur with default fan curves partly due to running stock cpu settings. It still ramp if I let it on stock but always run an OC along with the undervolt (may change this after add 2nd radiator to loop)

For you may be different depend on case and flow but found I prefer to keep fans spin at the 1150rpm roughly during low idle, under load spin to 1475rpm that keeps temp at 51c. At that rpm can hear fans but not really because i playing the games not notice fan noise. But revisits this once I done adding another rad. Temps should drop a little. Also add cooler to pump so maybe the gains in temp there too I am told.

Not the corsair enthusiast but after using some of there products I like some and others not so much. Coommander pro is good at what its supposed do and icue works good too even though it has the resource overhead finding that negligiable.

Your temps may vary but like you say its just relationship between how loud is acceptable to your ears and how hot your pc temps are. For me I really try push the quiet but not willing to let temps get too much. Have always hovered between 50-55c for cpu. Not sure why but I expect the gpu to run hotter but its not so this measuring works ok for me.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
I use a Commander Pro with 4 EK Vardar fans on my radiators. I run the temp probe off a T-connector to monitor coolant temp of my watercooling loop. The temp probe does a pretty solid job of evaluating temps, but the ability for the Commander Pro to maintain a stable fan curve takes a lot of adjustment and I got to the point I gave up and set specific % for the majority of my day. Also have a 100%, 50% and 0% setting to evaluate different speeds and noise levels as I need. With PWM curves, there is a lot of ramping up and down and many times, the fans are running at much higher RPM than the curve dictates they should. This is even with setting the fan type to 4-pin specifically (since they are 4-pin) and taking off auto.

Solution

TobinUK

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2014
Thanks guys for your answers. What i have done over last couple days is i looked into bios for when Asus Qfan adjusted my temps for me when tuning. So i took those percentages and then did the maths of my fans as they apparently only spin 600-1500 RPM, so where the curves had points of the temp/percentage i input those values into iCue. Seems to do doing the job now and even copied over the standard, turbo and silent versions from bios as the info was saved still from before the commander pro. I have played around with the settings and curves and made my test curve which are adjustments of what Qfan tuning did. Will see how i get on and monitor temps over coming days. I did notice under full load without iCue and using Qfan i was hitting 79c, Corsair iCue i was hitting about same temps at max load, im guessing a cooler upgrade might be worth while? Games ive been playing though reach around 60c ish and fans only spinning around 1100 RPM and its pretty quite considering i have pretty open case for noise. Im happy with it just want to get those max temps down or are they fine?