[SOLVED] Corsair Commander Pro malfunctioning ?

jessicat1261

Commendable
Jan 14, 2021
Bought a new motherboard, Asus rog strix b450-f gaming II motherboard, and it only has one USB header. Since I went all corsair I decided on getting a Commander Pro to replace my last USB hub as it kept bugging out in Icue. This time it keeps saying it malfunctioned, and the rgb hub I have connected to it keeps disconnecting, but yet my AIO doesn't? On my old USB hub it was the other way around and the AIO would often disconnect from Icue. Suddenly regret going all corsair.. Help would be appreciated please 😊 also if its any help I have my rgb hub and my AIO connected to it. My rgb hub has 6 fans connected to

Solution
would often disconnect from Icue

It's the iCUE issue, rather than hardware issue.
I too have full set of Corsair peripherals (KB, mouse, mouse pad, headset, headset stand; all RGB) and out of them all, my headset is #1 device that disconnects most often. When i was running Win7, only fix, to get it back to connected, was full reboot. Now, on Win10, headset automatically connects again but it is still annoying. Also, sometimes, at boot up, my mouse isn't registered and i have to physically re-connect the USB.

About 5 years back, when i bought my Corsair peripherals, i didn't have any issue with them. Only in the last year or two, the disconnect issue has come apparent. And only thing that has changed during that time, is the...

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
would often disconnect from Icue

I too have full set of Corsair peripherals (KB, mouse, mouse pad, headset, headset stand; all RGB) and out of them all, my headset is #1 device that disconnects most often. When i was running Win7, only fix, to get it back to connected, was full reboot. Now, on Win10, headset automatically connects again but it is still annoying. Also, sometimes, at boot up, my mouse isn't registered and i have to physically re-connect the USB.

About 5 years back, when i bought my Corsair peripherals, i didn't have any issue with them. Only in the last year or two, the disconnect issue has come apparent. And only thing that has changed during that time, is the iCUE versions.

As far as solving it goes, well, it doesn't look good.
You can roll back iCUE version one or two times but other than that, there's not much you can do. Oh, you could try using other USB slots as well, e.g the ones at the MoBo back I/O.
Though, you could contact Corsair Support about it as well but i doubt that they can help you much.

Btw, i'm currently running iCUE 3.37.140, despite the latest being 4.11.274. When i updated to the latest one, iCUE, flat-out, did not detect my Corsair SABRE RGB mouse, no matter what i did or try. So, i had to roll back to the older version and with older version iCUE detects my mouse without issues again.

For info, it's not only Corsair who has issues with their RGB software. Asus Aura is also plagued with all kinds of issues. Razer products are the worst when it comes to the RGB control and NZXT CAM also has some issues, albeit the least of the bunch (i also have NZXT CAM).

Solution

jessicat1261

Commendable
Jan 14, 2021

About 5 years back, when i bought my Corsair peripherals, i didn't have any issue with them. Only in the last year or two, the disconnect issue has come apparent. And only thing that has changed during that time, is the iCUE versions.

As far as solving it goes, well, it doesn't look good.
You can roll back iCUE version one or two times but other than that, there's not much you can do. Oh, you could try using other USB slots as well, e.g the ones at the MoBo back I/O.
Though, you could contact Corsair Support about it as well but i doubt that they can help you much.

Btw, i'm currently running iCUE 3.37.140, despite the latest being 4.11.274. When i updated to the latest one, iCUE, flat-out, did not detect my Corsair SABRE RGB mouse, no matter what i did or try. So, i had to roll back to the older version and with older version iCUE detects my mouse without issues again.

For info, it's not only Corsair who has issues with their RGB software. Asus Aura is also plagued with all kinds of issues. Razer products are the worst when it comes to the RGB control and NZXT CAM also has some issues, albeit the least of the bunch (i also have NZXT CAM).
Thanks, I thought it was, so I tried uninstalling Icue and still had the same issue, something was wrong with my usb ports, so taken it back to amazon for testing and awaiting results.old one didn't do this so I'm sure it could be the motherboard, but the thought of it also being my psu, not being able to supply enough power for a hub is entirely possible, but I doubt it since 600w is more than enough to power my build. Thanks for your detailed response, I appreciate it

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador

When it comes to these, and i guess that you are using it to expand the internal USB 2.0 header? If so, i'm using NZXT USB HUB,
amazon: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01IFGFTJ2

I have it in use with two of my PCs, Skylake and Haswell (full specs with pics in my sig) and so far, i haven't had any issues with them.

Though, looks like there's newer version of it out as well, the Gen 3,
specs: https://nzxt.com/product/internal-usb-hub-gen-3

Oh, one thing to note with these splitters. There is only limited amount of USB bandwidth to go around and if you connect too many devices to it, especially the ones that require full bandwidth of USB header, you'll run into issues of them not working properly. This could be actually the issue you're having.

jessicat1261

Commendable
Jan 14, 2021
When it comes to these, and i guess that you are using it to expand the internal USB 2.0 header? If so, i'm using NZXT USB HUB,
amazon: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01IFGFTJ2

I have it in use with two of my PCs, Skylake and Haswell (full specs with pics in my sig) and so far, i haven't had any issues with them.

Though, looks like there's newer version of it out as well, the Gen 3,
specs: https://nzxt.com/product/internal-usb-hub-gen-3

Oh, one thing to note with these splitters. There is only limited amount of USB bandwidth to go around and if you connect too many devices to it, especially the ones that require full bandwidth of USB header, you'll run into issues of them not working properly. This could be actually the issue you're having.
Well I've tried that hub, had issues where it would disconnect. I currently am using a commander pro, with 2 USB devices connected. To my knowledge, I'm pretty sure the motherboard should be able to supply enough power to run these together with no issues, however they disconnect randomly and when I load up games. That last bit about bandwidth is interesting... I didn't know that. But since I only have 2 devices connected, I'm not quite sure that's the problem here

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
disconnect randomly

That is difficult to troubleshoot since it could be iCUE issue, hardware issue (USB hub) or MoBo issue (where MoBo can't keep both connected at all times).

With my personal experience, i've had it with iCUE. With your personal experience, you've had it with USB hub. And from other people's experience, i've seen it to be MoBo issue. Could be even the Win issue.

That last bit about bandwidth is interesting... I didn't know that. But since I only have 2 devices connected, I'm not quite sure that's the problem here
With this, it's not about as much as the amount of devices used but instead the bandwidth these devices require.

For example: Commander Pro has loads of features with it and it would be logical to assume that it requires the full bandwidth of one USB 2.0 header. If it would be connected alone to the MoBo, it would work just fine. However, if you were to split the internal USB 2.0 header, to add another device, the load, which used to be 100% by Commander Pro alone, is now expanded to 150% (if given that your AIO requires only half the bandwidth of one internal USB 2.0 header).

Though, what you could do, is buying PCI-E -> internal USB 2.0 card. With this, you can have dedicated internal USB 2.0 headers for all of your devices.

Looked around a bit and couldn't find PCI-E -> internal USB 2.0 card. But there are plenty of PCI-E -> internal USB 3.0 cards,
e.g: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07N2R2X2G/

And with that, you can use USB 3.0 -> USB 2.0 cable, getting internal USB 2.0 header out of internal USB 3.0 header,
e.g: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00O0HC3Y0

jessicat1261

Commendable
Jan 14, 2021
That is difficult to troubleshoot since it could be iCUE issue, hardware issue (USB hub) or MoBo issue (where MoBo can't keep both connected at all times).

With my personal experience, i've had it with iCUE. With your personal experience, you've had it with USB hub. And from other people's experience, i've seen it to be MoBo issue. Could be even the Win issue.

With this, it's not about as much as the amount of devices used but instead the bandwidth these devices require.

For example: Commander Pro has loads of features with it and it would be logical to assume that it requires the full bandwidth of one USB 2.0 header. If it would be connected alone to the MoBo, it would work just fine. However, if you were to split the internal USB 2.0 header, to add another device, the load, which used to be 100% by Commander Pro alone, is now expanded to 150% (if given that your AIO requires only half the bandwidth of one internal USB 2.0 header).

Though, what you could do, is buying PCI-E -> internal USB 2.0 card. With this, you can have dedicated internal USB 2.0 headers for all of your devices.

Looked around a bit and couldn't find PCI-E -> internal USB 2.0 card. But there are plenty of PCI-E -> internal USB 3.0 cards,
e.g: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07N2R2X2G/

And with that, you can use USB 3.0 -> USB 2.0 cable, getting internal USB 2.0 header out of internal USB 3.0 header,
e.g: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00O0HC3Y0
Hmm okay, well if it's come back as no issues, then I will definitely try this. I think this may be the issue,but Im just uncertain because I had a nzxt hub too and that as far as I'm aware doesn't have too many features and still ran bad?