Corsair CS650M for Asus Strix GTX 970 OC?

kevrin

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2011
I'm planning on getting an Asus Strix GTX 970 OC, is the Corsair CS650M good to run the GPU?

My specs are:
Benq GW2765 (The reason for the 970 :p 1440p)
Intel i5 4590
Kingston 8GB 1600MHz (One Stick, will get another soon)
Gigabyte H81M-DS2
Seagate 320GB SATAII 7200
HP DVD R/W
External HDD (Always plugged in)
Antec Six Hundred V2
200mm LED fan x1
~100mm fan x2
I use the USB ports a lot, for charging my phone, Wireless dongle for my wireless kb/m and will get a wireless receiver for the xbox one controller which will be plugged in all the time too.

I tried a couple of power supply calculators online and even with future upgrades i.e. another 8GB stick, an SSD, bigger fans in place of the current ones, it still comes up with 484W - 448W that too with utilization at 24/7 which really won't be the case.

I understand that this is a tier 3 PSU but those aren't really that bad are they?

Solution
The CS650M will run a GTX 970 without any issues. It's not the highest quality power supply but it will suffice for sure with your system.

kevrin

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2011

So you think the wattage is more than enough for this right?

Also how do I tell which company has actually manufactured the PSU. I realize the company may be Corsair who is selling it but it's manufactured by other companies like Delta and Seasonic or something. Is it on the online specs?

RCFProd

Expert
Ambassador

Tom's Hardware has a thread for it:
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/id-2547993/psu-tier-list.html

Corsair CS series are made by Great Wall, Tier 3 in said thread.

Wattage is enough, don't worry. I would vote against if you were running a more power intensive system with an AMD processor or an AMD high-end graphics card. But your power supply won't choke at all using i5-4590 + GTX 970. Are Corsair's CS capacitors good quality? No though, they're not. But you shouldn't be 'in more' danger than you are now basically. It should run fine.

kevrin

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2011
I did get the CS650 and the GTX970. I had to go with it since this is one of the better ones among my options. The VS would be the lowest one and the RM850 (no lower one available in RM) was twice as much as the CS so was way out of my budget.

Everything seems to go well for now. Hoping I'll stay lucky with the config. Will definitely try and get a better one come next year.