[SOLVED] Corsair CX750M giving me Kernel power 41 code after 5 months of minimal usage.

Cherokee0621

Commendable
Apr 4, 2020
I bought my Corsair CX750M in November of 2019, and it felt great having a new PSU to replace my 8 year old Antec 750W that I dragged through all sorts of abuse from gaming. But since the day I bought the Corsair PSU, I’ve only turned my computer on maybe 3 times, just to update my drivers and Windows. This past week I decided to get back into the swing of things and start playing some games again. I’d play a game, and maybe a minute or so into actually playing it, it would restart the computer. Ended up being the Kernel power 41 error, but my PSU was still practically brand new, so it can’t be that... right? My motherboard was an old ASUS and my CPU was an old AMD, both from 2011. My CPU and memory would always be maxed out on task manager, and I figured it was about that time. So I replaced everything besides my PSU and GPU.

I’m now running:
MB: MSI 450B Tomahawk Max (w/ two 8gb sticks of ram)
CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3200G w/ RVG
GPU: Radeon RX580 Series
PSU: Corsair CX750M

Replacing those components worked for about a week or so, then the problem arose again. I’ll be about a minute into a game, and my computer restarts. Could it truly be the PSU that’s causing this? Thanks.

Side note: My computer had weird, shadowy, and grainy graphics that showed up about 7 days after replacing my components. My computer was still doing fine for about 3 days of that until I fixed that problem by changing my monitor display settings, and now it’s happening again. I’m honestly stumped.

Edit: I can play The Crew just fine. I can’t play COD Warzone, World of Warships, or even an old game like APB reloaded.

Last edited:
Solution
The CPU that you have should have an iGPU that you can use to test. I would pull your GPU and install the latest Radeon drivers with the onboard GPU and see if you get the same results, the odd looking graphics or the power error. If you do then we have fully eliminated the GPU as a variable. If you do not then we can confirm that the GPU is most likely the issue.
Kernal Power 41 just means that he PC has reboot without cleanly shutting down. It could be caused by a crash or a power loss to the PC. That doesn't mean the PSU is faulty or causing issues.

That said the issues you are describing sound more like an issue with the GPU than the PSU. Graphical issues, artifacts, are normally caused by a faulty GPU. It can be power related, if the PSU is not supplying enough power to the GPU, but normally its not.

Cherokee0621

Commendable
Apr 4, 2020
Thanks for your response, I’ve exhausted every amount of mental power I have looking through forums and YouTube videos, and even trying to change settings myself. I’ve also done a clean installation of Windows, reinstalled my motherboard and GPU drivers, removed every component out of my tower and put it back in after air dusting it. At this point I might just wipe my entire hard drive and start from scratch, because I am honestly stumped. My GPU is fairly new (bought in 2018), and has never overheated. I make sure to run my fans high enough to not allow my components to go over 45°C, even while gaming. My GPU is currently running at 29°C after being on for about an hour, and my CPU is at 39°C. Because it’s not from overheating, I don’t know what else could be a factor with the GPU. I’ve even removed it from the case and reinstalled it in a completely different GPU slot, just to make sure it wasn’t the motherboard.

The CPU that you have should have an iGPU that you can use to test. I would pull your GPU and install the latest Radeon drivers with the onboard GPU and see if you get the same results, the odd looking graphics or the power error. If you do then we have fully eliminated the GPU as a variable. If you do not then we can confirm that the GPU is most likely the issue.

Solution

Cherokee0621

Commendable
Apr 4, 2020
So I thought I fixed it. I didn’t. I plugged in the dual 6 prong to single 8 prong adapter for PSU to GPU power, and I was actually able to play a game past the menu. I loaded the game and just let it sit there in-game to see if it was time-related. After about to minutes, I simply pressed the ‘W’ key to move forward, and after 2 seconds of that, my PC restarted again.

Last edited: