[SOLVED] Corsair CXM series 2021 triangular grille vs Corsair CXM grey label 2016

bruh432432

Prominent
Apr 11, 2022
Which is better? Corsair CXM 2021 triangular grille or Corsair CXM 2016 grey label?

The new CXM series is significantly cheaper than the grey label CXM and the grey label is listed up high in tier B of LTT PSU tier list while the new one is in tier C of low priority units, on the Corsair website the tech specification list of the new CXM looks better than the old CXM (I don't really know much about PSU's and by looks better I mean it has more stuff, idk check it out for yourself). So which one is better? New CXM 2021 triangular grille or grey label CXM 2016 version? I own a CX450M 2021 version and it's only a month old and I have loud coil whine in it (I could have gotten unlucky with my unit)

Solution
Whats strange is that this new cxm is very very cheap, like literally half the price of what other psus at that wattage cost.

Wonder why...

Depends on location, retailer, inventory levels.

The manufacturer doesn't dictate retail price (that's called price fixing and it's illegal).

If you look on Corsair's website for reference, you'll see the old one is on sale for $59.99 (because it's old and the inventory needs to go away).

The new one is $69.99.

So, if you're seeing it flipped the other way around, someone's just not paying attention. :D
Why does it matter which is "better" if you already have one of them and it has a problem? If it has coil whine, contact Corsair or if you have only had it a short time, the seller, for a warranty replacement. Coil whine is generally a warrantable problem on most power supplies and graphics cards if the problem is significant and regularly occurring.

Personally, depending on what your hardware configuration is, neither of them is probably the power supply you want in there, but for a budget unit neither of them is the worst you could end up with.

What are you full hardware specs?

Which is better? Corsair CXM 2021 triangular grille or Corsair CXM 2016 grey label?

The new CXM series is significantly cheaper than the grey label CXM and the grey label is listed up high in tier B of LTT PSU tier list while the new one is in tier C of low priority units, on the Corsair website the tech specification list of the new CXM looks better than the old CXM (I don't really know much about PSU's and by looks better I mean it has more stuff, idk check it out for yourself). So which one is better? New CXM 2021 triangular grille or grey label CXM 2016 version? I own a CX450M 2021 version and it's only a month old and I have loud coil whine in it (I could have gotten unlucky with my unit)

Differences (other than the obvious ID differences):

• Clear anodized heatsinks instead of black anodized
  • Additional thermistor on bridge diode heatsink for OTP
  • Reduced -12V (wish it was taken off completely!)

Apr 12, 2022
Why does it matter which is "better" if you already have one of them and it has a problem? If it has coil whine, contact Corsair or if you have only had it a short time, the seller, for a warranty replacement. Coil whine is generally a warrantable problem on most power supplies and graphics cards if the problem is significant and regularly occurring.

Personally, depending on what your hardware configuration is, neither of them is probably the power supply you want in there, but for a budget unit neither of them is the worst you could end up with.

Hey im also intersted in the new CX650M, I just bought a new gpu and im looking for a good psu. The 2021 CXM are much much cheaper than anything else, almost half the price compared to other psus at that wattage (MasterWatt 650W, TUF, EVGA BQ) But theres barely any info online

My specs are:

Ryzen 5 3600
3070 ti FTW3
2x8gb 3200
NZXT z73 360mm cooler
6 fans
3 ssd
1 hdd
Two 24" monitors

bruh432432

Prominent
Apr 11, 2022
Why does it matter which is "better" if you already have one of them and it has a problem?
Just wanna know if they made the new cxm worse
If it has coil whine, contact Corsair or if you have only had it a short time, the seller, for a warranty replacement. Coil whine is generally a warrantable problem on most power supplies and graphics cards if the problem is significant and regularly occurring.
I didn't know they offered warranty on coil whine

r5 2600
gt1030 (I plan on getting a 1660 super)
16gb ram
240gb nvme ssd
1tb hard drive
4 case fans

Last edited:
Either of those models of power supply should be fine for that graphics card and the remainder of your hardware, but the head of engineering for power supplies at Corsair (jonnyguru) has already answered your question in reality. They are the exact same platform, aside from minor differences, so given the choice between the two I'd definitely choose the newer version with a few minor improvements rather than the exact same older platform without them. I mean, seems logical.

Apr 12, 2022
Either of those models of power supply should be fine for that graphics card and the remainder of your hardware, but the head of engineering for power supplies at Corsair (jonnyguru) has already answered your question in reality. They are the exact same platform, aside from minor differences, so given the choice between the two I'd definitely choose the newer version with a few minor improvements rather than the exact same older platform without them. I mean, seems logical.
Whats strange is that this new cxm is very very cheap, like literally half the price of what other psus at that wattage cost.

Wonder why...

bruh432432

Prominent
Apr 11, 2022

Wonder why...
thats what i thought, if its better how is it so much cheaper literally the price of cv series and if its better, why is the old one ranked way higher in ltt's psu tier list

jonny guru said it has improvements so ig the new one is better. ig the tier list needs to be updated, it does say "end of life" in its name

bruh432432

Prominent
Apr 11, 2022
ok thanks

Prices don't make any sense these days anyhow. Besides which, you can look at ANY older hardware, that you'd THINK would go down in price once it becomes obsolete but the reality is that it rarely does. Even on sites like Newegg and Amazon, about half the time, or more, you aren't actually buying from them, you're buying from a third party seller who is listing an older product at a ridiculous price on their platform. I could literally show you hundreds of examples of this.

The newer product, which is much less expensive, is likely being sold directly by the retailer, ie, Newegg, Amazon, B&H, whoever. Plus, a lot of those older units were imported during the period of time when there was a stiff tariff being applied to those units, so somebody paid more for them at that time no matter who it was and is likely trying to not take a loss or at least break even, while this newer batch of products is currently not facing those same tariffs since they were recently retracted on a lot of electronics imports.

This is not an uncommon thing, newer products being less expensive than older ones. It's not a new thing either.

Reactions: bruh432432

Wonder why...

The manufacturer doesn't dictate retail price (that's called price fixing and it's illegal).

If you look on Corsair's website for reference, you'll see the old one is on sale for $59.99 (because it's old and the inventory needs to go away).

The new one is $69.99.

So, if you're seeing it flipped the other way around, someone's just not paying attention. :D

Solution

The new one is $69.99.

This too.

bruh432432

Prominent
Apr 11, 2022
Prices don't make any sense these days anyhow. Besides which, you can look at ANY older hardware, that you'd THINK would go down in price once it becomes obsolete but the reality is that it rarely does. Even on sites like Newegg and Amazon, about half the time, or more, you aren't actually buying from them, you're buying from a third party seller who is listing an older product at a ridiculous price on their platform. I could literally show you hundreds of examples of this.

The newer product, which is much less expensive, is likely being sold directly by the retailer, ie, Newegg, Amazon, B&H, whoever. Plus, a lot of those older units were imported during the period of time when there was a stiff tariff being applied to those units, so somebody paid more for them at that time no matter who it was and is likely trying to not take a loss or at least break even, while this newer batch of products is currently not facing those same tariffs since they were recently retracted on a lot of electronics imports.

This is not an uncommon thing, newer products being less expensive than older ones. It's not a new thing either.

ooo