[SOLVED] CORSAIR Dominator Platinum DDR4 RAM, want to install 32Gb...should I install 2x16 or 4x8?

Christian_96

Commendable
Nov 17, 2016
HI,

So I'm about to pull the trigger so to speak on buying a GIGABYTE AORUS ULTRA Z390 motherboard and to with it I'm planning to install 32Gb of 3200 Mhz RAM.

Should I just get the 2x16 kit as I'd planned and if wanting to , later upgrade to 64Gb or should I fill all the slots with a 4x8 kit?

Solution
So, there is some evidence and marketing by Intel suggesting that there is slightly higher performance on the latest Intel platforms when running four modules versus two, but I am of the traditional camp that says more modules equals more stress, unnecessarily (At least, when not working with quad or higher multichannel memory platforms), on the memory controller and CPU, and that CAN result in some lesser longevity for your hardware or just even a lot more having to fiddle around with the BIOS just to get them to RUN at the rated profile.

Plus, as you say, if you find you need to add memory later, you're going to have to start from scratch or lose some of what you already have, in order to add more. I always feel that getting the full...
So, there is some evidence and marketing by Intel suggesting that there is slightly higher performance on the latest Intel platforms when running four modules versus two, but I am of the traditional camp that says more modules equals more stress, unnecessarily (At least, when not working with quad or higher multichannel memory platforms), on the memory controller and CPU, and that CAN result in some lesser longevity for your hardware or just even a lot more having to fiddle around with the BIOS just to get them to RUN at the rated profile.

Plus, as you say, if you find you need to add memory later, you're going to have to start from scratch or lose some of what you already have, in order to add more. I always feel that getting the full capacity in the lowest number of sticks you can use to achieve the capacity you want, is always the best option. Even though adding unmatched memory later can be tricky, at least you have the option of it.

I'd go with 2 x16GB before I'd even consider 4 x8GB UNLESS it was a quad channel platform, which that is not.

Solution

Christian_96

Commendable
Nov 17, 2016
Well, the purpose of my question was just what you mentioned.

I've heard from both sides of the discussion. Youtube, google, etc....

Your answer may just be what I'm looking for.

I guess I'll go for the 2x16 kit then.

As a follow up question:

If and when the time comes to add more RAM, would getting a seperate 2x16 kit of the same memory (speed, brand, etc...) really be that tricky? Would it really render my system unstable or not work at all?

Mostly, it's not a problem, unless of course it is when you try it. LOL.

If you have the time to read my article on memory, although a good deal of it doesn't apply directly to your question, there is a fair amount that does, and it should at least help somewhat to answer some of those questions.

*Resolving memory problems and setting up XMP/DOCP/AMP profiles

Also, these articles written by one of our outstanding long term members who isn't with us anymore, yeah, like that, offers a whole lot of useful information as well. Tradesman was one of the most knowledgeable memory gurus you'd ever hope to meet, both here AND on the G.Skill forums as well.

https://www.tomshardware.co.uk/ddr3-dram-faq,review-33220.html

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ddr-dram-myths,4155.html#p1

Last edited:

Coltmerg420

Honorable
Oct 4, 2013
Well i use 8 x 2x8 (16 gig ddr4 )all 128 gigs worth and windows 10 x64 on a zen 1950x says i have 48 gigs ,And this is also on my 2nd pc zen 1800x that has the same ram and that pc only shows 48 ??? all ram same type and make .so have fun geting all your ram to be used ...always remember windows will take 3 or 4 gigs for vr ram but not 80 gigs werth lol