Corsair Extends Select PSU Warranties From 7 Years To 10 To Compete With EVGA

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's about time they made this official. This was actually changed a while back, but just now Corsair seems to acknowledge it publicly.

The RM550x and RM650x now have a higher warranty than the EVGA 550 G2 and 650 G2. The 550 G2 and 650 G2 are 7 years, RM550x and RM650x are 10 years.

It's a good move ... tho it will affect very few users.

1) Most PSUs get tossed long before they get anywhere near 7 years of age, after all how many peeps are using the PC they built in 2006 ? What would you do with a replacement ... would it have the necessary GFX card cables ? ... be Haswell Compatible ?

2) Old PCs are oft handed down or given away so since warranty would apply to original owner only, so again not much risk in these situations.

3) The extended warranty is basically an insurance policy, the cost of which is part of the purchase price. For the few that will remain in use by the original Owner after 7 years, it won't take much.

Darkk

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2003
I've been using the Corsair HX750 model for the past three years and it's been rock solid. I will definitely give Corsair my first choice in PSU for the next build.

I've been using the Corsair HX750 model for the past three years and it's been rock solid. I will definitely give Corsair my first choice in PSU for the next build.
It's a good move ... tho it will affect very few users.

1) Most PSUs get tossed long before they get anywhere near 7 years of age, after all how many peeps are using the PC they built in 2006 ? What would you do with a replacement ... would it have the necessary GFX card cables ? ... be Haswell Compatible ?

2) Old PCs are oft handed down or given away so since warranty would apply to original owner only, so again not much risk in these situations.

3) The extended warranty is basically an insurance policy, the cost of which is part of the purchase price. For the few that will remain in use by the original Owner after 7 years, it won't take much.

I agree. I have a Corsair 1000 watt psu thats around 6+ years old that's sitting in an old Coolermaster 830 case in storage for 3 years now. It may inspire some sales which is the initial benefit to the company but for the end users it'll be quickly forgotten when you see that new platform that begs for a new PSU so you'll be like me with a high end PSU sitting in storage or in your little brother or parents system when they receive your hand me down parts.

I still like the idea of it though and will get me to look closer at the Corsair products when picking a new PSU which may be sooner than I think since my current Antec 1200 watt PSU is over 3 years old running my new Haswell rig. The release of Pascal will push me to make that purchase this year.

At ten years you may as well just say it is a lifetime warranty to the original owner to drive sales. How many people would actually keep a PSU for over ten years and have the original receipt?

Like many here have already said. Those parts end up in a hand me down to another family member, in storage or re-purposed to my media server.

I do wonder how their warranties work? Half the times I've dealt with a manufacturer warranty. It has been some cock and bull story about having to go through the retailer I originally bought the part from. Which is complete bull puckey. If I have a warranty I should be able to deal with the manufacturer directly.

sephirotic

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2009
I purchased a TX650 back in early 2008 for my old Q6600. It survived my upgrade to a i5 2500k platform in 2011, but by 2013, my computer started to shut down randomly. It took me almost one year to narrow the issue down to the PSU, at first I thought it was an overlcocking issue. But by the time I figured out it was the PSU, it was too late. Even more strange is that the PSU sitll works on a weaker computer, and I still use the same 2500k to this day, but with a EVGA 850 G2 I bought last year and the problem disappear. I suspect a bad contact/oxidation ocurred on the motherboard terminal as it seemed that applying pressure in there would reduce the amount of random shutdowns for weeks or months. Strangely, the issue never ocurred again after swapping PSUs.
The 5 year warranty weren't enough for my TX650, (even tough I never registered the product by the time I bought it because I didn't know it was world-wide, so nvm) that.
After over 2 years of headache cause by that PSU, I decided to ditch corsair for as long as this 850 G2 last.
Only good memories of my 650 TX was the insanely low noise fan, it was the most silent 120mm fan, thus PSU, I have ever seen, even after disabling all the hard drives and fans of my computer and only the PSU remaining on, it was sitll inaudible as the eletrostatic noise of the PROCESSOR ITSELF was louder than the fan. I love my 850 G2 passive mode, with a single overclocked MSI 970 fully stressed togetehr with the 2500k @ 4.4 ghz, I never saw the fans spinning up. Even at 28C room temperature in a mid tower case. However, at low noise mode, the fan is very loud, louder than any other fans on my case, which is disappointing, thank god the passive mode works flawlessly.

Anyway, the point is that now that moore law is definetely on its last legs and most improvements are in reducing power comsuption than improving clockspeed + IPC, With the PSUs having passive modes that further increase the lifespans of its fans, 7 years would undoubtedly not be enough for high end psus for a significant large portion of people. (even mid-end) I hope to keep using this 850w. Unless miniaturization and cloud computing complete kills desktops in 10 years even for enthusiasts (which I doubt) I'm pretty condident I'll be still using this 850 G2 in 10 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS