Corsair Force LE 200 SSD Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

hdmark

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2015
Am i missing something or is this pricing way too high even for release? an 850 evo is 8$ more right now on amazon and crucials mx300 275gb is retail at 99$. Shouldnt the initial price have to be much lower considering the performance drop?
the 70$ price by june might make it more reasonable?

Andrew_190

Commendable
Oct 12, 2016
ummmm im right there with HDMARK i know SSD (well RAM in general) has gone up for reasons that don't make sense (illuminati) as just a few months ago i was grabbing Crucial 275 drives for around 80 and and there 525GB drives i grabbed for 120. So how is this entry level???????????

Co BIY

Splendid
Is an NMVe capable SSD that is also SATA backward compatible technologically reasonable or would the cost of two interface capabilities be excessive?

Does the DRAM savings really make that much of a difference ?

How are these DRAMless devices getting so much throughput with a single channel while the high end controllers need eight channels ? Is the scaling on additional channels efficient ?

3ogdy

Distinguished
$100 for 240GB? I know we're in the middle of a NAND shortage, but man...that is a lot for 240GB in 2017. That should be the price of a half-terabyte SSD.

We keep talking about shortages and such, but the simple fact is that you can only have a chip shortage if the companies decide to not make enough to force the price up. If all of them decide to make less than enough at the same time, then it's obviously colusion if there isn't a huge disaster wiping out half of the factories, which there isn't (even the previous situation with hard drives was blown way out of proportion).

Brian_R170

Honorable
Jun 24, 2014

All NAND fabs combined can't make enough to satisfy the demand right now. They are all running at maximum capacity. Increasing yields (as mentioned in the article) will be the fastest way to increase supply. They can build more factories, but it takes a couple years and billions of $. They can switch to a better process technology, but that can take even longer and even more $.

I think the SK Hynix performs better and is at a great price $95.58 & FREE Shipping on Amazon. I've watched prices increase steadily since October with no end in sight. The shortages are real and the explanations have been given over and over. The Hard Drive factory disaster that hit WD and affected the whole hard drive segment was real too. We saw it coming and went through it and came out the other side.

When I see people still in denial about the Nand shortage, and the HDD factory flooding. I just have to wonder why are they so uninformed to the point I think they must be joking and are just baiting people.

CRamseyer

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2015
We just have a few more months....like 6ish. Samsung ramps up a new fab between now and mid-July. Toshiba will have their new fab up between now and the start of next year and IMFT (Micron / Intel) are about to release 64-layer to double capacities again. In just a few short months we should see bit output nearly double. I think we will make a 6 month stop at pre-shortage prices and then the bottom will fall out as yields improve. I think 2TB SSDs will become fairly common by this time next year and 512GB will be the new starting point (where 256GB is today).

HERETIC-1

Commendable
Aug 18, 2016
How much would it cost to add 256MB RAM at factory level??????
I'd guestimate around $2 to $3.
Money well spent one might say-Trouble is that $3 becomes $10 at POS.

Glock24

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2014
70% market share for NVMe? I don't see that happening this year. Most budget computers will still use HDDs, as non-technical buyers will prefer 1TB HDD over a 250/250GB SSD because they thing bigger is better/faster.
Also with mediocre products like this at those absurd prices won't help.

Nintendork

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2008
There's no need for NVMe pcie unless you move huge chunks of data. Which majority of consumers, won't.

Limited basically to editing video. And for others to brag in benchmarks and forum signatures...

JimmiG

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2008
I bought a WD Green 240 GB for $67 at the end of last year. You'd have to be pretty desperate for more SSD storage to buy an SSD at this time.

At the end of the day, NVMe support in itself doesn't really raise the cost much. The only reason we all think NVMe = expensive is that most of the NVMe drives so far have been high-end models. But there's no fundamental reason you can't make a budget NVMe SSD. So far it's just been cheaper to stick with SATA because of inertia and economies of scale. That won't last forever.

dsknkt

Commendable
Jun 28, 2016
That's clearly an ad paid by corsair. They need to get rid of the LE series ASAP because it's faulty as hell. You'll be lucky if you buy one of these and it actually lives longer than 10 months. Take my word on this or just google it.
And shame on Tom's Hardware. I've seen a big shift towards paid content. It is nowadays just a space for ads, unlike the old tech enthusiast site we used to love. I'll be unfollowing after this.

DSKNKT,
I think your ACCUSATION of Tomshardware being paid shills is baseless. What EXACTLY did they misrepresent? They said the product was OVERPRICED so why are you whining?

They specifically mention the weak endurance as well. (as for "ten months" if you are going to level accusations then provide some PROOF of that as well. Just looking at write endurance that drive would last my sister over TEN YEARS the way her PC is used.)

Status
Not open for further replies.