Question Corsair H100i fan leds not working?

Nephern

Prominent
Sep 20, 2022
I recently bought a h100i, installation was as normal. when i went to plug in the led fans on the case hub, the leds didnt work, they spin up just fine but they dont output any light.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Rgb fans are exactly what they are as described. An RGB lightstrip glued to a fan. Seperate things, one is generally 5v, the other is 12v. That means seperate wiring, seperate headers, seperate controls.

That means unless properly wired and properly setup with whatever software is needed, you can have a complete light show and the fans not spin, or a fully functional fan with no lightshow.

So you'll need to check all the wires are connected correctly, and the necessary software is activated and set for the fans.

Nephern

Prominent
Sep 20, 2022
Did you install iCue and configure the lights from there?
i have tried many times, autodetect, forcing it to the type of fan, it wont work.

Rgb fans are exactly what they are as described. An RGB lightstrip glued to a fan. Seperate things, one is generally 5v, the other is 12v. That means seperate wiring, seperate headers, seperate controls.

That means unless properly wired and properly setup with whatever software is needed, you can have a complete light show and the fans not spin, or a fully functional fan with no lightshow.

So you'll need to check all the wires are connected correctly, and the necessary software is activated and set for the fans.
theyre all plugged in securely and i have reinstalled the software, still not working, perhaps defective lights?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Doubtful it would have to mean every single led on every fan is bunk. Argb is individual leds, RGB is common leds.

If I had to bet, the hub is not connected properly, or it's connected through a switch instead of the motherboard etc.

Nephern

Prominent
Sep 20, 2022
ive connected the hub just as the instructions for the h100i said to do.

everything is connected just as it should be, the power comes from sata, connection to mobo is the f-usb1 connector, and everything else is plugged in.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
As I said, fan and light is 2 different things.

Pump 3pin to cpu fan.
Sata to psu.
4pin connectors from fan to 4pin recepts on pump.
USB to motherboard.

That's just the fans and will work with iCue.

You'll have 2 remaining wires from the fans, those are for the argb. Those will go to the hub.
The hub connects to the motherboard ARGB header. And also to the psu. Different hubs have different setups, some insist that there be a light on #1, with a seperate input, some you'd use #1 as the input, as it has no dedicated input. Most hubs will require a power feed, either Sata or molex, some are nothing more than hard splitters and have no power requirements.

The h100i instructions don't tell you how to setup your hub. The youtube video, the guy hooks his USB to his hub, but that's because it's a USB 2.0 hub, connected to the motherboard USB 3.0 header, not an argb hub or fan hub.

One way or another, your lights aren't being recognised because you are missing a connection, somewhere, whether it's power or argb jumper.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nephern

Nephern

Prominent
Sep 20, 2022
Turns out i do, i need the port to attach the rgb into the commander, why the thing doesnt do that already i dont know but i have to buy their xt version or the lighting node.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Yeah lol. Argb is new enough that every brand had its own ideas of things and Corsair was no exception. At first you had to check with mobo vendor because not all argb worked on all mobo's, no universal fitment or software. Everything was proprietary, a real aggravating pita. It's gotten better, but is still far from perfect.

Reactions: Nephern