Review Corsair H150i Elite Capellix Review: iCue-Controlled Excellence

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
It would be easier to interpret results if you can include dB normalised temperature graphs for a couple of dBs. :)

Meaning, if we were to provide cooling by comparison across the same decibel range for multiple cooler comparisons? Ex: "Here is how A, B, C and D coolers compare by thermal performance when running at 35dB?"

vinay2070

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2011
Meaning, if we were to provide cooling by comparison across the same decibel range for multiple cooler comparisons? Ex: "Here is how A, B, C and D coolers compare by thermal performance when running at 35dB?"
Exactly. Lot of youtubers review fans this way. 50% and 100% or RPM does not cut in as depending on the fin shape and number, a lot of variables can come into picture. Something like 35 db, 40 db, and max RPM would be nice. Whatever you feel is "barely audible dB", "OK - not so disturbing dB" and "max RPM cooling" settings would be great.

Finally all people want are 2 things from thier cooling system. 1) The cooling performance 2) How silently can they work. Because people tend to set thier fan curve based on cooling and noise levels. So if these data are present in a SINGLE benchmark, making a pick would be easier for the customers.

Thanks.

felicityc

Prominent
Feb 19, 2020
iCUE is a terrible software with obnoxious CPU overhead, buggy design, less control than other software, zzzz i hate icue and saying icue is the biggest + with the builtin command center no one liked or wanted (gee wonder why its included) makes me definitely go look to ekwb and just cut my own loop, might as well learn now

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
This is great in concept, except that the reality is that not every cooler manages to reach the same dB level at peak operation or lowest noise levels as every other cooler. Some coolers are not seen to operate at 35 or 40dB while others easily exceed it. These same coolers in comparison also

Also, setting to a decibel 'value' also isn't entirely accurate and can leave a larger range for operational limits. Example, there might actually be a variation of +/-300 RPM where the measurable difference of a single decibel is seen, but 300 RPM is actually a significant difference in the amount of airflow being moved. 1200 RPM and 1500 RPM actually end up performing quite differently. It becomes difficult to replicate test runs without variables based on decibel levels alone as the same measurement of 35dB for one test can easily fall outside of acceptable deviation.

In setting fan speeds, this is much simpler as we can define the PWM control of the fan to be exactly 100% or exactly 50%, which is a precise measurement of the fan RPM with very minimal average fluctuation over time.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
iCUE is a terrible software with obnoxious CPU overhead, buggy design, less control than other software, zzzz i hate icue and saying icue is the biggest + with the builtin command center no one liked or wanted (gee wonder why its included) makes me definitely go look to ekwb and just cut my own loop, might as well learn now

Watercooling isn't difficult as long as you consider total thermal load volume in watts and what your cooling goals are.

Things to consider for watercooling loops that AIOs don't have:

1. WC loops start to get expensive by comparison
  2. Annual maintenance is strongly recommended, including flushing the loop, blocks, radiators and fitment of new tubing.
  3. User error - many parts for the system builder to correctly install and maintain, where AIOs are factory built and sealed. Just more pieces to have awareness around.

D

Deleted member 2783327

iCue and Excellence should never be used in the same sentence. iCue is garbage, as bad, if not worse than NZXT's cam. There are bugs in both that have been around for years.

It's a 900mb install, that really should have been broken into selective components and it's a real CPU and disk activity hog. I'm still using CorsairLink 4.9.6.19. It's a 45mb install, uses 0.3 - 0.7% cpu and tells me everything I need to know - my temps across all components, including disk drives (4.9.7.35 took that feature out), and my 14 fan speeds. I use 2xcommander pro on my system.

RGB is useless bling that does nothing for performance, but Corsairlink does have some RGB support if I chose to use it.

After three years iCue is no closer to being stable or useful as it was back then.

Latest posts