[SOLVED] Corsair H150i Elite Capellix with Threadripper 3960x?

Dec 31, 2020
I am new here but have been building computers for years but needed some advice with my latest build I was hoping someone here might be willing to help if possible. I am a 3D Artist by trade and recently decided to build a new, faster computer. I picked up AMD's Threadripper 3960x for use in the ASUS Prime TRX40-PRO and this will be housed in a Fractal Design R6 USB-C with tempered glass case. My question is this, at the time of this post I had just received an AIO from Newegg, the Corsair H150i Elite Capellix and am unsure I made the right choice or whether I should be going with something more like the Noctua U14S TR4-SP3, etc.?

The reason I ask this is after seeing mixed reviews, in general, not really many reviews specifically to the sTRX4 Threadripper series, but coupled with the coldplate dimensions being 56mm squared which wouldn't cover the IHS (though it seems it would cover the dies), I just am not sure what the ultimate cooler is for this processor. I looked into the IceGiant ProSiphon Elite but it seems it would take 2 months and I am already waiting on an RTX 3090 and would like to be able to test my other hardware in the meantime. I looked into a custom loop but, honestly, I really haven't done much in terms of water-cooling. What are your thoughts? Should I stick with what I have, switch to an air cooler, or do a custom loop? If a custom loop can you recommend something to get me started? Thanks! Oh, and I plan on overclocking a bit but generally, I don't go to the extreme. Thanks for any advice you can give and your time! Sorry about the long post.

Solution
https://www.gamersnexus.net/news-pc/3008-threadripper-cooler-and-thermalpaste-coverage-vs-die-ihs
Short version:
"The entire heatspreader does not need coverage, theoretically, just the area with the silicon hotspots underneath; that said, covering more of the heatspreader certainly wouldn’t hurt – it does spread heat, after all, and increasing contact area to the cooling apparatus only stands to improve overall transfer efficiency and eventual dissipation."

"Of note, there is an "optimal" orientation for the coldplate: You'd want the microfins long-ways across the widest part of the CPU IHS, as that'd ensure that the most thermal mass sits directly over the dies. We also run into concerns where the coldplate's most effective...

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
https://www.gamersnexus.net/news-pc/3008-threadripper-cooler-and-thermalpaste-coverage-vs-die-ihs
Short version:
"The entire heatspreader does not need coverage, theoretically, just the area with the silicon hotspots underneath; that said, covering more of the heatspreader certainly wouldn’t hurt – it does spread heat, after all, and increasing contact area to the cooling apparatus only stands to improve overall transfer efficiency and eventual dissipation."

"Of note, there is an "optimal" orientation for the coldplate: You'd want the microfins long-ways across the widest part of the CPU IHS, as that'd ensure that the most thermal mass sits directly over the dies. We also run into concerns where the coldplate's most effective cooling area sits atop nothing of import -- the center of Threadripper isn't a die, it's spacing between dies. Typically, that center area would also be the center of thermal activity on a traditional single-die desktop CPU. That's why the cooling mass is focused over the center like it is, but that design doesn't apply well to Threadripper."

Hard to tell right away which way the microfins are oriented without looking up videos or images of someone having taken the cooler apart, or you twist the cold plate around 90 degrees and test it.
Models that cover the entire IHS simply eliminate this necessity.

Solution