[SOLVED] Corsair H60 positioning and connectivity ?

ColopiX

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2014
I bought Corsair Hydro Series H60 2018 Liquid to replace my old Deepcool L120-pump died after 2 years of use.

I did not want to make any pressure on the tubes and mount it in this position:
Tubes from left,and pump/corsair logo is upside down.
Is it okay to leave it in this position ? I did check temp and they are fine,also there are no strange sounds coming from the pump.

wbBx9de.jpg

The pump is powered by SATA connector,but there is also 3pin connector from pump with just 1 wire-use to only monitor pump speed and populate cpu header as i read on corsair forum.
Corsair recommends to plug the 3pin connector from pump to CPU fan and radiator fan to SYS FAN header on motherboard,i did it reverse plug the pump 3 pin to sys fan and radiator fan to cpu header.
My 3 fans in the case runs at full speed (connected to fan splitter 4pin PMW Deepcool HB-04) SYS FAN 1 header and pump 3pin to SYS FAN 2 header.

Should i leave it this way since the pump is powered only by SATA cable,i guess at full speed ?

Thanks.

Solution
I agree with much of Karadjgne's post above, but have a couple of different thoughts. It IS important to have something monitor the SPEED signal of the PUMP for possible failure. It IS important for most AIO systems (including OP's H60 system) that the PUMP be fed a constant 12 VDC power supply to run full speed all the time. It IS important that the RAD FAN speed be controlled according to the temperature sensor inside the CPU chip, and NOT by the sensor on the mobo.

Given those considerations, there is another way to make connections that will meet all these needs. Use a simple 4-pin SPLITTER. That device is simple with one "arm" with a FEMALE connector to plug into the mobo CPU_FAN header, and two or more "arms" with MALE connectors...

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Looks good to me according how Corsair explains positioning that any air in the system would sit up top rather than pumped through.

What cpu is it cooling? Does it really need to be cooled by water? Just asking because 2yrs is typical life span for any pump, maybe 3yrs. Won't be long before needing to be replaced there abouts. If you're prepared to do that eventually again that's fine. If not then hsf next time.

ColopiX

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2014
Looks good to me according how Corsair explains positioning that any air in the system would sit up top rather than pumped through.

What cpu is it cooling? Does it really need to be cooled by water? Just asking because 2yrs is typical life span for any pump, maybe 3yrs. Won't be long before needing to be replaced there abouts. If you're prepared to do that eventually again that's fine. If not then hsf next time.

AMD Ryzen 3700x
I first bought Deepcool AG400PLUS tower cooler but it could not keep up with temp (on idle was 35-50C but gaming/full load 75-80C) and was too loud and next day i went again on liquid.
AIDA64 extreme system stability test:
gammaxx l120 10-15s going up to 90C temperature
AG400 PLUS immediately 90-95C temp
Corsair H60 not going past 85C

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Na can do better than that. Deepcool ak620, Noctua 12a, D15s or full thing D15. Ak620 rivals D15 according to reviews but have no experience with it. 12a and D15 i do and the fans aren't audible at all.

Im running 11700k with D15, hotter running, 83c max intel burn test. I'll never go water personally, it's just an ongoing cost and don't want the lingering thought when pump will go.

Last edited:
Reactions: ColopiX

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
My comments are regarding the connections you made and how the components are controlled to keep the CPU temperature correct. I'm not commenting on mechanical placement and air bubbles.

We need to know what maker and model of mobo you have. The connections you made are not ideal, but we need to be able to look up what IS possible with your mobo.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Connections are fine.
There's 2 schools of thought about how to connect a simple aio, which is what you have.

1st is to follow the directions and put pump-cpu_fan with fan-sys_fan header. The reasoning behind that is life expectancy of a pump is generally shorter than that of a fan, fans can hit 150k continuous hours of use, a pump is closer to 50k hours. A cpu has a cooler warning via the cpu_header, if it detects lower than @ 200rpm, it'll refuse to boot or start shutdown procedures, an overheat safety protection for the cpu. This is considered a good thing, so aio companies insist on this just to avoid liability for the cpu. However, this puts the fan as working on case temps, not cpu temps, which isn't a benefit by any means as most cases do not see over 45-50°C, ever, so the fan doesn't have much if any control.

2nd is to switch. The pump-sys_fan with fan-cpu_fan headers. This has the drawback of not having pump failure warning, but puts the fan control directly according to cpu temps, where it's needed the most. Whether Sata or header powered, most sys_fan headers today are Auto/PWM, they do not default to DC control, so the pump always sees a full 12v. That's fine, it's the intended voltage, with the single wire tied to the rpm monitor, so you can still see rpm if you look for it.

Either method works, most will opt for #2 and the superior fan control, meaning the fan isn't sitting at 60%-100% even when idle or low load. It's also how most full custom loops are installed since cpu_fan needs to be populated (unless monitoring is disabled in bios (not advised)) for a pc to boot.

As far as orientation, only 3 things to observe.
  1. Pump below the top reservoir
  2. Tubing at the bottom of the rad
  3. No stress on fittings
If you have those covered, you are good. As far as air in the tubes is concerned, your orientation is perfect for that, if air ever collects in the pump just tilt the pc forwards to @ 30° off the desk pc running, slow tilt) and the air will rise to the outlet of the pump and get pushed to the reservoir in the radiator, which will be above it. It's the best possible orientation, noise will go away, tilt the pc back slowly. Done.

Last edited:

ColopiX

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2014
My comments are regarding the connections you made and how the components are controlled to keep the CPU temperature correct. I'm not commenting on mechanical placement and air bubbles.

We need to know what maker and model of mobo you have. The connections you made are not ideal, but we need to be able to look up what IS possible with your mobo.
Motherboard Gigabyte B550M DS3H

ColopiX

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2014
Connections are fine.
There's 2 schools of thought about how to connect a simple aio, which is what you have.

1st is to follow the directions and put pump-cpu_fan with fan-sys_fan header. The reasoning behind that is life expectancy of a pump is generally shorter than that of a fan, fans can hit 150k continuous hours of use, a pump is closer to 50k hours. A cpu has a cooler warning via the cpu_header, if it detects lower than @ 200rpm, it'll refuse to boot or start shutdown procedures, an overheat safety protection for the cpu. This is considered a good thing, so aio companies insist on this just to avoid liability for the cpu. However, this puts the fan as working on case temps, not cpu temps, which isn't a benefit by any means as most cases do not see over 45-50°C, ever, so the fan doesn't have much if any control.

2nd is to switch. The pump-sys_fan with fan-cpu_fan headers. This has the drawback of not having pump failure warning, but puts the fan control directly according to cpu temps, where it's needed the most. Whether Sata or header powered, most sys_fan headers today are Auto/PWM, they do not default to DC control, so the pump always sees a full 12v. That's fine, it's the intended voltage, with the single wire tied to the rpm monitor, so you can still see rpm if you look for it.

Either method works, most will opt for #2 and the superior fan control, meaning the fan isn't sitting at 60%-100% even when idle or low load. It's also how most full custom loops are installed since cpu_fan needs to be populated (unless monitoring is disabled in bios (not advised)) for a pc to boot.

As far as orientation, only 3 things to observe.
  1. Pump below the top reservoir
  2. Tubing at the bottom of the rad
  3. No stress on fittings
If you have those covered, you are good. As far as air in the tubes is concerned, your orientation is perfect for that, if air ever collects in the pump just tilt the pc forwards to @ 30° off the desk pc running, slow tilt) and the air will rise to the outlet of the pump and get pushed to the reservoir in the radiator, which will be above it. It's the best possible orientation, noise will go away, tilt the pc back slowly. Done.

My old Gammax L120T AIO,pump 3 pin was plugged in SYS FAN 1 header and FAN in CPU header,same like i did it with this Corsair H60 AIO.

When pump died (gammaxx l120t) i did not know until i loaded to windows and pc started beeping from motherboard speaker because i have enabled cpu temp warning in BIOS.lucky cpu did not die despite getting very hot 100-105C in HW info.

Tubes/fittings are not stressed and i did not hear any strange noise from pump.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
I agree with much of Karadjgne's post above, but have a couple of different thoughts. It IS important to have something monitor the SPEED signal of the PUMP for possible failure. It IS important for most AIO systems (including OP's H60 system) that the PUMP be fed a constant 12 VDC power supply to run full speed all the time. It IS important that the RAD FAN speed be controlled according to the temperature sensor inside the CPU chip, and NOT by the sensor on the mobo.

Given those considerations, there is another way to make connections that will meet all these needs. Use a simple 4-pin SPLITTER. That device is simple with one "arm" with a FEMALE connector to plug into the mobo CPU_FAN header, and two or more "arms" with MALE connectors to plug in your fans and pump. NOTE that it does NOT have a third "arm" that MUST plug into a SATA power output connector from the PSU. A HUB is a different device that DOES have that third arm, and is NOT needed here. There are some Splitters that look like several cable arms, some that look like small circuit boards, and some like boxes with output sockets recessed in holes. ALL of these SPLITTERS do NOT have the means to connect to a PSU power source. Examples

https://www.amazon.com/Splitter-Computer-Extension-Converter-TeamProfitcom/dp/B07F8LV1BY/ref=sr_1_1?crid=31ZG0Y47TXZIM&keywords=fan+splitter+4+pin&qid=1681147890&sprefix=fan+spplitter,aps,120&sr=8-1

https://www.amazon.com/Splitter-Internal-Motherboard-Extension-Computer/dp/B0992G423X/ref=sr_1_18_sspa?crid=31ZG0Y47TXZIM&keywords=fan+splitter+4+pin&qid=1681147964&sprefix=fan+spplitter,aps,120&sr=8-18-spons&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUExWDJNUU9NTUE3UjJIJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwMDY3MTM0MTBDREpPQ1gxVjBLSyZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwOTM4ODAwVDFPV05TNk5HQzRSJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfYnRmJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ&th=1

https://www.amazon.com/SilverStone-System-Cables-Black-CPF04/dp/B00VNW556I/ref=sr_1_5?crid=1V4NY1FGWG588&keywords=fan+hub+4+pin&qid=1681148020&sprefix=fan+hub+4+pin,aps,106&sr=8-5

Any Splitter will return to its host header the speed signal from only ONE of its fans. On a Splitter with just cable "arms", there is only ONE output with all 4 pins - the others will be missing Pin #3. On a circuit board style, one port will be labelled for the CPU fan typically, but you do NOT have to use it for the fan on the CPU chip. On a closed box, one port will be marked.

To use a Splitter in an AIO system, you plug the Splitter into the CPU_FAN header, then the PUMP cable into the only output that DOES send its speed back to that header. Then you plug the RAD FANS into the other Splitter outputs.This does three things:
(a) provides power to the pump and fans;
(b) monitors the PUMP speed for failure;
(c) controls the FAN speeds according to the temperature sensor INSIDE the CPU chip.

By far most AIO pumps are wired just like a 3-pin old-style Voltage Controlled fan. Because of the designs of the two fan types, doing that for such a fan means the fan will always operate at full speed IF the host header is using the new 4-pin PWM Mode of control signals. That is exactly what most PUMPS need - constant full speed. BUT if the RAD FANS plugged into that same Splitter are the new 4-pin type (which most are), they WILL receive the proper PWM signal and their speeds WILL be controlled by the header.

NOTE that doing this REQUIRES that the CPU_FAN header be configured properly - in particular for the MODE options. It MUST be set to PWM Mode so that PWM signal is sent out to the fans, while the PUMP (because of its 3-pin connection) does not receive that signal and cannot use it, so it has NO effect on the pump. If you set the option to AUTO, at every start-up the header will test speed signal of the item connected to it (the PUMP) and discover that it is an older device requiring VOLTAGE Control Mode to control its speed, and will set itself that way. From then on the PUMP speed WILL be reduced at lower tempertures, just as the fan speeds are. That is NOT what is required.

There IS one feature missing when you do this. Because the CPU_FAN header receives the speed from only ONE device - the PUMP - it CAN and will monitor that unit for failure. BUT it cannot monitor the speed signals for the RAD FANS for failure. So the USER should check those fans from time to time to be sure they all still are operating. With an AIO system, failure of the PUMP is very dangerous because there is NO CPU cooling, whereas failure of the RAD FAN (often there are more than one) means a slower possible CPU temperature rise which WILL be detected by a different system to prompt warnings and corrective actions.

OP, your system has one small difference from this generalized plan. Its PUMP does not get its power from the CPU_FAN header. That comes directly to the PUMP only by its separate SATA power connector. But it still is vital that the PUMP speed be connected to the CPU_FAN header for failure monitoring. PLUS the RAD FANS need to be controlled according to the temperature sensor inside the CPU chip, and that is the ONLY way a CPU-FAN header operates. Connecting both pump and fans to the CPU_FAN header via a Splitter using the correct output connectors and with the proper MODE setting will accomplish all of this.

Last edited:
Solution

ColopiX

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2014

Given those considerations, there is another way to make connections that will meet all these needs. Use a simple 4-pin SPLITTER. That device is simple with one "arm" with a FEMALE connector to plug into the mobo CPU_FAN header, and two or more "arms" with MALE connectors to plug in your fans and pump. NOTE that it does NOT have a third "arm" that MUST plug into a SATA power output connector from the PSU. A HUB is a different device that DOES have that third arm, and is NOT needed here. There are some Splitters that look like several cable arms, some that look like small circuit boards, and some like boxes with output sockets recessed in holes. ALL of these SPLITTERS do NOT have the means to connect to a PSU power source. Examples

https://www.amazon.com/Splitter-Computer-Extension-Converter-TeamProfitcom/dp/B07F8LV1BY/ref=sr_1_1?crid=31ZG0Y47TXZIM&keywords=fan+splitter+4+pin&qid=1681147890&sprefix=fan+spplitter,aps,120&sr=8-1

https://www.amazon.com/Splitter-Internal-Motherboard-Extension-Computer/dp/B0992G423X/ref=sr_1_18_sspa?crid=31ZG0Y47TXZIM&keywords=fan+splitter+4+pin&qid=1681147964&sprefix=fan+spplitter,aps,120&sr=8-18-spons&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUExWDJNUU9NTUE3UjJIJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwMDY3MTM0MTBDREpPQ1gxVjBLSyZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwOTM4ODAwVDFPV05TNk5HQzRSJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfYnRmJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ&th=1

https://www.amazon.com/SilverStone-System-Cables-Black-CPF04/dp/B00VNW556I/ref=sr_1_5?crid=1V4NY1FGWG588&keywords=fan+hub+4+pin&qid=1681148020&sprefix=fan+hub+4+pin,aps,106&sr=8-5

Any Splitter will return to its host header the speed signal from only ONE of its fans. On a Splitter with just cable "arms", there is only ONE output with all 4 pins - the others will be missing Pin #3. On a circuit board style, one port will be labelled for the CPU fan typically, but you do NOT have to use it for the fan on the CPU chip. On a closed box, one port will be marked.

To use a Splitter in an AIO system, you plug the Splitter into the CPU_FAN header, then the PUMP cable into the only output that DOES send its speed back to that header. Then you plug the RAD FANS into the other Splitter outputs.This does three things:
(a) provides power to the pump and fans;
(b) monitors the PUMP speed for failure;
(c) controls the FAN speeds according to the temperature sensor INSIDE the CPU chip.

By far most AIO pumps are wired just like a 3-pin old-style Voltage Controlled fan. Because of the designs of the two fan types, doing that for such a fan means the fan will always operate at full speed IF the host header is using the new 4-pin PWM Mode of control signals. That is exactly what most PUMPS need - constant full speed. BUT if the RAD FANS plugged into that same Splitter are the new 4-pin type (which most are), they WILL receive the proper PWM signal and their speeds WILL be controlled by the header.

NOTE that doing this REQUIRES that the CPU_FAN header be configured properly - in particular for the MODE options. It MUST be set to PWM Mode so that PWM signal is sent out to the fans, while the PUMP (because of its 3-pin connection) does not receive that signal and cannot use it, so it has NO effect on the pump. If you set the option to AUTO, at every start-up the header will test speed signal of the item connected to it (the PUMP) and discover that it is an older device requiring VOLTAGE Control Mode to control its speed, and will set itself that way. From then on the PUMP speed WILL be reduced at lower tempertures, just as the fan speeds are. That is NOT what is required.

There IS one feature missing when you do this. Because the CPU_FAN header receives the speed from only ONE device - the PUMP - it CAN and will monitor that unit for failure. BUT it cannot monitor the speed signals for the RAD FANS for failure. So the USER should check those fans from time to time to be sure they all still are operating. With an AIO system, failure of the PUMP is very dangerous because there is NO CPU cooling, whereas failure of the RAD FAN (often there are more than one) means a slower possible CPU temperature rise which WILL be detected by a different system to prompt warnings and corrective actions.

OP, your system has one small difference from this generalized plan. Its PUMP does not get its power from the CPU_FAN header. That comes directly to the PUMP only by its separate SATA power connector. But it still is vital that the PUMP speed be connected to the CPU_FAN header for failure monitoring. PLUS the RAD FANS need to be controlled according to the temperature sensor inside the CPU chip, and that is the ONLY way a CPU-FAN header operates. Connecting both pump and fans to the CPU_FAN header via a Splitter using the correct output connectors and with the proper MODE setting will accomplish all of this.
I have a splitter from Deepcool AG400 plus cooler package (for both coolers to be attached)
I will use that,thank you.