Corsair H80 fan speed (too loud)

Jul 31, 2018
Hello,

I have the corsair CWCH80 water cooler and I have only been able to change the speed of its fans by pressing the button on the cpu cooler. I usually leave it on full blast as I do 3d rendering work but the H80 fans are mind-numbingly loud and it is driving my family insane.

I always thought the fan speed would change automatically with the processor heat / load but it is constant. Am I missing something silly? My processor sits at 40 degrees when idle and 65 degrees when rendering something in maya for 2 minutes.

My build is as follows (i could not edit it into my signature in my profile for some reason):
I7 3930K @3.2GHz | Asus Sabertooth X79 | GTX 1060 | 32gb DDR3 | CWCH80 liquid cooler | HX 1050 psu | Corsair 600T case | Windows 10

I am looking for options to make this as quiet as possible when idle without opening the case every time. I have tried downloading the corsair link software but it does not detect the H80 cooler even though it is plugged into the 'cpu_fan' on the mobo. Some have suggested that I need a corsair link cable kit to change fan speed in windows which is unvailable in the UK.
I am happy to swap the corsair fans for Noctua NF-F12PWM's or even change to a more recent cpu cooler entirely.

If I do have to get a new cooler it would still need to be small (max radiator thickness 27mm) so I could use it in an evolv shift itx i7-8086k build that I am saving for. I don't mind paying more for the quietest possible option.

Here is an image showing the cpu cooler plugged into the cpu fan on the mb (highlighted in red). The water cooler radiator fans are plugged into the cpu cooler head. Does this look wrong?:
hcXaQe

https://ibb.co/hcXaQe

Many thanks in advance for any help.

------

-Update in case anyone ever sees this:
Apparently stock water cooler cpu fans usually only have 3-pin cables instead of 4 so are stuck to a constant speed. Would it be worth buying a modern water cooler in the hope that it automatically changes fan speed based on heat, or should I just purchase some noctua NF-a14 pwm (4pin) fans that you can plug directly into the motherboard and slap them on my old h80?

Jul 31, 2018

Thank you. Unfortunately the cpu header only has a 3-pin cable which looks like it is not detachable.
corsair-link.jpg

It seems strange that corsair went out of their way to avoid the benefits of PWM with 4 pin cables.

Would you know of any current water cooler models that automatically change radiator fan speed?