Corsair Hx 1050 just exploded

Weapon317

Honorable
Jul 1, 2014
Hello people of Tom's Hardware.

About 4 days ago i've brought my system to my PC shop because my CPU apperantly died after 10 days, these were new parts and I RMA'd my system and they found out the CPU needed replacement, which they did.

But they also did cable management and cleaned out my PSU apperantly, with airdusters and they said they removed chunks of dust from it and that it's now clean again, this PSU i've had for about 4 years now, never had issues with it and worked just fine, up until today.

I was playing a game, when suddenly my screen turned off and I heard several pops coming out of my case, about four of them, my front case fans were like flicking, sort-of until my fuse in my house blew and everything was powered down. When I replaced the fuse- I tried again, re-plugging the PSU and turn the system back on, followed up by another 'pop' sound and the new fuse blew once more.

I replaced the fuse, but I will leave the PC unplugged.

Now, I bought an CPU, motherboard, ssd and ram about 12 days ago from the webshop I ordered it on, however the PSU, aswell as my GPU and HDD are not from there, I am really worried that my other components are fried as I think that definantly the PSU died for some odd reason on me today, I am not sure if the shop is to blame when they cleaned out my PSU.

This is a picture of my PC and how they did it, they flipped the PSU upside down aswell, though they said it could do no harm https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpa1/v/t1.0-9/13407063_1191726850878486_4524247924980813074_n.jpg?oh=910de5edcbd6f3335b75e3c17afe2dee&oe=57E62BD8&__gda__=1472455346_43f1a9a74d35c837f8c21d765ecd5caf

My specs;

CPU: i7 6700k
Mobo: Asus z170 pro gaming
RAM: 16 gb 2x 8GB dual channel
GPU: EVGA GTX 980 TI
PSU: Corsair HX1050
SSD: Samsung EVO 850 1 TB
HDD: WD Green 1 TB

There are no burn marks, I don't think on the motherboard, I haven't opened the case as I have called the shop and will bring my whole system to them tomorrow so they can figure it out, though the PSU definatly needs replacing, what do you guys think what happend? And also, do you guys think my other parts can be affected by this incident?

Corsair HX is very good quality, but parts DO fail on occasion.
I think you have a 5 year warranty on the psu.
Before you contact Corsair for a RMA, have the PC shop test with a known good psu.
It is possible that more damage has been done, so it is probably best for the PC shop to find out what parts are good, and what are not.
It is possible that Corsair may compensate you if their psu failure caused other damage.

Because you ran ok for a while, I doubt that the shop did anything wrong.

Weapon317

Honorable
Jul 1, 2014
I got my PC back last Friday, it's Monday now and suddenly this happeend, they will test my components one by one to see if there are any more failures, though I do hope that only the PSU died and not the rest, especially not my GPU.

The shop also doesn't replace the PSU for free if it broke down, i'd have to buy a new one. The same can be said for the GPU and HDD, though I do hope they will replace the mobo etc. for free if they did happen to break down.

Weapon317

Honorable
Jul 1, 2014
I just returned from the shop, and they hooked up a new PSU while I was watching and my system booted up and worked just fine. The man who helped me said that the now-a-days PSU's have protection within them- especially the higher brand ones and the expensive ones, including my HX1050.

Either way, I bought a EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G2 from there and they are gonna hook it up in my system and install it (unfortunately it wasn't in stock otherwise i'd be typing this on my PC right now and not on my backup laptop) and test my system thoroughly with benchmarks and stuff like that.

They said the SuperNOVA makes quite some noise, is this correct?

Given that I have still warranty on the HX1050, I am sending it RMA back to the shop I bought it from, I already filled out a form and things like that so I will be sending that old PSU soon back and when I get my new one, i'll probably keep that as backup for whatever in the future or sell it, either or.

They hooked up the old PSU in their wall and it blacked out the entire store, lol. Oh well, I said that would happen and they came back with a smile on their face and were like "Yep, that power supply is dead." - It was quite hilarious to see, given I was relieved that my system still worked and if my mobo or CPU etc. show any signs of affection by what happened, they will send the said parts for RMA aswell (given they come from that shop aswell and are only 2 weeks old by now), so I am happy and relieved everything turned out a-okay.

They also said 850w was enough to power my system.

So for anyone out there researching what might can happen if your PSU explodes, well, given you have a good PSU (from a good brand and an expensive one), you should be safe like I was. Luckily I was spared the damages of what a fried PSU can do to your system.