Corsair HXi Series PSUs Launching in August

Status
Not open for further replies.

I think they are shifting their series. The new AX1500i is a Titanium rated PSU so now the HX series will be Platinum and the AX series will become Titanium.

Still love my AX860i. I was playing a game the other day (Watch_Dogs) and watching the loads on my devices via Corsair Link and it never went past 34c and the fan never had to spin up.

BranFlake5

Honorable
Jul 9, 2013

I think they are shifting their series. The new AX1500i is a Titanium rated PSU so now the HX series will be Platinum and the AX series will become Titanium.

Still love my AX860i. I was playing a game the other day (Watch_Dogs) and watching the loads on my devices via Corsair Link and it never went past 34c and the fan never had to spin up.

If the whole AX series was Titanium rated.... Oh my gosh. That would be so cool! Corsair would basically control the market of high Wattage PSUs.

I miss Antec actually being good. But they kind of stagnated. I mean they were still pushing their age old Antec 900 with a bottom mounted PSU that had to have the fan pointed up towards the GPU fans when the entire industry shifted to PSUs having their own air flow.

Their PSUs seem to have gotten meh in quality.

I am sure they have moved around now but taking too long puts a bad taste in my mouth.

Corsair currently does though. Most people know Corsair and Seasonic are the top brands. People just don't want to pay for the quality.

I can't tell you how many people think that you can get away with buying super cheap PC parts because it is not worth "paying for the name brand".

BranFlake5

Honorable
Jul 9, 2013

Good Point. How dumb are you to buy a cheap PSU? Whole system blows because you bought a piece of junk. The PSU is one of (If not) the most important part of a build, but it's also the most overlooked.

Catching up.... yes Antec seems uninterested in the "top spot". But the HCP / HCG is for the most part a match for Seasonic's M12 or Corsair's RM / TX V2 series.

Corsair currently does though. Most people know Corsair and Seasonic are the top brands. People just don't want to pay for the quality.

I can't tell you how many people think that you can get away with buying super cheap PC parts because it is not worth "paying for the name brand".

And most people would be at risk relying solely on that advice. Buying by "brand name is a fool's errand because just about all brands build PSUs for numerous market niche's. Corsair makes some great PSUs but the also make some PSUs that the best you can say about them is they are "good for the money" Corsair doesn't make any PSU's that are apt to create a fireworks show but they do make quite a few that I would not put in an enthusiast's system.

The CX series for example falls into that budget level PSU "good for the money" category. I use them in office builds and family type systems built so grandma can get e-mails with pictures of the grandkids and the secretary can run Quickbooks and type letters for her boss, but that's about it.

The PSU line is more indicative of quality but even that can be deceiving. The Corsair HX series is acknowledged as one of the best ever (likely why new titanium series being given that moniker). The lower wattage HX series had better voltage regulation and lower ripple than the AX series but the 1000 and 1050 watters in the series were dogs.

1. Avoid the dangerous PSU Lines like Raidmax
2. Avoid the "builder series" ....Definition: "Builder Series" = This is what we see to large scale system builders who sell puters at Walmart.
3. Stick to the vendor's enthusiast lines fir gaming / workstation / enthusiast machines..
4. Weed out the "black sheep" in any vendor line (i.e. Corsair HX1000 / 1050)

I usually look to:

-A 10.0 jonnyguru performance rated PSU for systems I expect to be driven hard .... read multiple GFX cards + 4.6 GHz Haswells / 25% OCs on multiple GFX card.....Antec CP/Signature series, most Corsair HX, Seasonic X series, some XFX Pro series

-A 9.5 jonnyguru performance rated PSU for moderately overclocked systems with 1 or 2 GFX cards, and somewhat limited budgets..... Many Antec HCP / HCG, many Corsair RM / TCV2 series, AXF Core Editions

-A 9.0 jonnyguru performance rated PSU for any gaming / workstation box on a tight budget

-Won't build anything with jonnyguru performance rating less than 8.5 and that's for the simplest of loadings....web browsing, office apps, etc

NZXT, Rosewill, Cougar, EVGA and others have had some PSUs climb into the higher categories but not as consistent up and down the pwoer ranges from what I have seen so far.

You nailed the Corsair CX series right on the head though. It is a entry level PSU meant to be used in desktops. Enthusiasts should stick with TX or better.

The reason I went with a AX860i (9.7 on Johnny which I think is damn good) is because my last Corsair TX850W was 5 years old at the time and still good as of today (adding another year).

As well I was working at a local PC shop and I got the owner to move to Corsair PSUs in most of the system builds and apart from one or two every once in a blue moon we almost never had them going bad. Well except one customer who within a month blew 4 PSUs and was convinced we were using bad PSUs.

Status
Not open for further replies.