Review Corsair Hydro X Series Watercooling Kit Review: a Serious Custom Cooling Contender

Giroro

Splendid
"The prices of various parts can add up fast, but that's true of any custom setup."

I must be severely misreading the price list.
Because the list I'm reading says Corsair charges $275 for EIGHT case fans, and $175 on 14 ordinary pipe fittings.

I must be misreading it, because there's no way something so severely overpriced should be getting any kind of official recommendation, least of all Editor's Choice.
Or does just every high-margin product that sends Tom's free gear and an affiliate link get an editor's choice badge now?

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
"The prices of various parts can add up fast, but that's true of any custom setup."

I must be severely misreading the price list.
Because the list I'm reading says Corsair charges $275 for EIGHT case fans, and $175 on 14 ordinary pipe fittings.

Each 3x pack of ML120 Pro fans is listed as a retail price of $99.99, and we needed to use two boxes to complete the dual radiator setup. This also included using the Commander Pro RGB and fan controller. So yes, that price is correct for what is shown.

If you have watercooled in your PC building lifetime, spending over $10 per fitting should come as no surprise to you. This has been common for many, many years. In fact, some fittings are closer to $15-$20 a piece, depending on specialty.

I must be misreading it, because there's no way something so severely overpriced should be getting any kind of official recommendation, least of all Editor's Choice.

The recommendation isn't due to 'price or value', it is due to the quality of components, the usefulness of the website to provide build information and the overall user-friendliness of the gear being reviewed. Also, this is the price premium of custom watercooling builds - I would expect the same price would exist if you chose EKWB, Alphacool, Swiftech and others to complete a similar build. My understanding is that you, yourself, are not one to build custom watercooling, but your outrage seems unwarranted.

I think far too often people only see components through one lens: "what is cheap, and what is the best for being cheap?" This doesn't apply to all PC hardware, especially when it comes to enthusiast products. If your budget doesn't afford a $1200 RTX 2080Ti or a $1700 32-core Threadripper CPU, you will likely then be looking at at 2060 or even a 1660Ti. The reality is, not everyone approaches hardware with these same views, so it would seem prudent to compare and evaluate them all as such - there is a very large market for people seeking information on these kinds of parts.

Or does just every high-margin product that sends Tom's free gear and an affiliate link get an editor's choice badge now?

Take a look at several of my previous cooling reviews involving 'big names' and 'high margin products', and you'll see that I rarely offer a 'Recommended' stamp on components that I cover. There is no benefit to me for rating a product higher than another, so I am curious what your basis is for the prior statement?

jdsim9173

Reputable
Apr 14, 2015
This whole setup is a bad idea, anyone whose done water cooling knows not to mix metals. Gpu block is aluminium and radiators are copper and brass, Aluminum will be very susceptible to galvanic corrosion in contact with copper, assuming that the two metals are also in contact with a common electrolyte (such as water with some ionic content.)

Source -
https://en.wikipedia.org › wiki › Galvanic_corrosion

Corsairs own web page says do not mix their XL5 coolant with aluminium

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categ...ydro-x-coolant/p/CX-9060001-WW#tab-tech-specs

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Gpu block is aluminium

No they're not. The blocks themselves are copper and nickel, only the external bits are aluminum....and those do not come into contact with the coolant. The black heatspreader is alumunim, however that never contacts water so this isn't an issue.

The parts that DO contact water are copper and nickel. Let's try and promote facts, please.

oczdude8

Distinguished
Wow the website is really sleek, makes it much easier to water cool your PC. I remember it took me days to figure out and plan what I needed and where to buy the parts. That being said, im not too sure how big of a market there is for this, considering enthusiasts often like to mix and match parts/brands. The the pricing doesn't really do it any favors either.

I'm really curious to know if they pre-bend and cut hard tubing to fit perfectly in the case. That would probably make it a much better value.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
They do not pre-bend the hardline tubing, at least to my knowledge (nor do any other sites I've seen). There are too many factors at play, even if the specific hardware is being used as defined in the configurator, there is always the chance that they might be off 1-2mm somewhere else which could cause leaking and making them responsible for user installation.