[SOLVED] Corsair K70 RGB - Ghost actuation on one key ?

xxdelta77xx

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2013
Basically the left Alt key, and only that key, is acting like it's held down, every so often. I'm not sure if anything in particular is triggering it, but it's about every 10 or 20 minutes.

I noticed it because my mute and deafen shortcuts are left alt + X and left alt + C respectively and they'll toggle on and off by hitting those letter keys without hitting left alt, and will keep doing so until I tap left alt again.

Tried using a different USB port as well as uninstalling iCUE. Also blew some canned air in there. Oh, and I did the Corsair keyboard reset thing too (hold esc for 5 seconds when you plug it in, let go and lights flash)

It's not physically stuck; the LED and actuation work fine otherwise. No spills either.

Any ideas?

Solution
Likely a problem with the switch itself. Sometimes caused by just some grime/dust/dirt having gotten into it.

Pull the keycap off the switch and blow some canned air into it a couple times, while repeatedly pressing the key.

If that fails, try plugging the keyboard out, hold the switch pin (what the keycap attaches to) down and put a drop of isopropyl alcohol into it, then repeatedly press the key.
Wait a bit for the isopropyl alcohol to evaporate before plugging in again.

If that fails, then open up the keyboard and reflow the solder joints to the switch.

If that fails, then desolder the old switch and solder in a new one. (From memory I believe Corsair uses the Cherry MX switches with clear housing and internal SMD LED)

If that...

Crowii

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2014
Likely a problem with the switch itself. Sometimes caused by just some grime/dust/dirt having gotten into it.

Pull the keycap off the switch and blow some canned air into it a couple times, while repeatedly pressing the key.

If that fails, try plugging the keyboard out, hold the switch pin (what the keycap attaches to) down and put a drop of isopropyl alcohol into it, then repeatedly press the key.
Wait a bit for the isopropyl alcohol to evaporate before plugging in again.

If that fails, then open up the keyboard and reflow the solder joints to the switch.

If that fails, then desolder the old switch and solder in a new one. (From memory I believe Corsair uses the Cherry MX switches with clear housing and internal SMD LED)

If that fails, then the keyboard is done-zo.

Solution