[SOLVED] Corsair MP600 Slower than PCIe 3.0

e.bustaty

Commendable
Aug 15, 2017
A friend of mine has 2 Corsair MP600 2TB (two disks 4TB in total, no raid) connected to Asus ROG RAMPAGE VI EXTREME OMEGA (onboard, no DIMM.2) with i9-9980XE.

Benchmarking shows that they're running slow in sequential read and write than other PCIe 3.0 systems.

PC Parts and Benchmark: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/20300587
Lowest PCIe 3.0 on Userbenchamrk: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/19749244
Highest PCIe 3.0 on Userbenchamrk: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/18161189

Can something be done to gain more sequential speed or is this the best I can get on this system?

Solution
Agreed, 75% full will have a pretty significant effect on the speed of the drive. More data to get through to read and write = longer to do so.

Either way as with any NVMe drive, you're not going to notice a difference from a regular SATA SSD (M2 or 2.5) depending on the usage. If it's heavy movie production / editing, probably. Or transferring between 2 NVME drives. But asides that, no real noticeable difference.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
  • Why are they using a PCIe 4th Gen SSD in a 3rd gen board out of curiosity?
  • Artificial benchmarks don't really count for much - especially userbenchmark ones as they often aren't comparing apples to apples.
  • Regardless as to what the artificial benchmark is saying, unless your say moving large files between 2 NVMe drives, you won't ever really achieve that speed in real application anyway. NVMe doesn't offer any real world benefit to most users.
  • Your friend would also want to ensure BIOS is up to date and all drivers are up to date.
  • Additionally how full the drive is affects the speed.
:)

e.bustaty

Commendable
Aug 15, 2017
Why are they using a PCIe 4th Gen SSD in a 3rd gen board out of curiosity?
Bad choices! basically he told the local store "I want the best i9 with the fastest ssd", and the store was happy to fulfill without thinking about what he actually needs.

Artificial benchmarks don't really count for much
granted, but this is what I have right now, basically I just want to convince him that this has nothing to do with Adobe Premiere being slow, he needs to look somewhere else, I don't even know if Premiere is actually slow or is he just paranoid, because he doesn't care about render times or anything, he just wants the preview to be realtime, and I don't have the slightest clue about Premiere, this could be anything from project structure to the lack of IGP, because everything looks fine to me, but basically the storage is operating at speeds that are far beyond what he needs.

ensure BIOS is up to date
this is what I will do next, just trying to ask some questions before I get there.

how full the drive is
I think ~75% full, dude got some serious editing on his hands.

I tend to discountUserbenchmark on such matters, and go straight to CrystalDiskMark sequential reads/writes tests...

(Preferably when the drive is not 75-80% full..)

CrystalDiskMarks read/write rates do not lie; as opposed to Userbenchmark and their scores that do comparisons, and often mislead folks into thinking their score of 'only 3400 MB/sec reads' that they are slow by giving them bottom 10% score because everyone else got 3450 MB/sec....

We know the MP600 is capable of 5000 MB/sec on PCI-4.0 board...; not sure what it will do exactly on a PCI-e 3.0 board.... It will be interesting. (I'd certainly not pay extra for one if I can't use the other 1500 MB/sec speed, unless planning on an X570 board soon)

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Agreed, 75% full will have a pretty significant effect on the speed of the drive. More data to get through to read and write = longer to do so.

Either way as with any NVMe drive, you're not going to notice a difference from a regular SATA SSD (M2 or 2.5) depending on the usage. If it's heavy movie production / editing, probably. Or transferring between 2 NVME drives. But asides that, no real noticeable difference.

Solution