Corsair Obsidian 900D Review: Making Room For High-End Gear

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DiddlyDoo23

Honorable
Apr 24, 2013
Corsair never ceases to amaze. their cases are always top quality, without a doubt. I have an 800D with a gtx 680 sli, my dream rig. Looks so nice because of all the grommets the 800D has for hiding wires, had it built at ironsidecomputers.com and they did a really nice job. Not sure if I would need all the space in a 900D but I love the look of it regardless.

Idonno

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2011
And the really amazing thing here is that the 800D doesn't even come with a fan controller.
My 800D was worth every penny of the $300 I payed for it and even though the 3 fans that they throw in for no extra charge aren't anything special they are all still working fine after 2+1/2yrs of running 24/7.

Of course like most people I didn't buy an awesome $300 case for the 3 fans that come with it, I bought it for the case and if you actually bought one you would certainly know that it doesn't come with a fan controller, so in the future if you plan to tell more tall tails it would help to get your facts straight so everyone doesn't think your a lair! :no:

Of course now that you've been called out you'll probably change your story. :pfff:

Trying hard ... not to ... buy ... must ... have ... restraint...... NOOO!!!

Seriously though I absolutely love my 800D. I'm running

Asus Sabertooth 990FX
FX-8350 @4.8Ghz (gonna try for 4.9 soon)
2x EVGA GTX-580 Hydros
16GB 4x4 DDR3-1600 Corsair Dominator memory
1x256GB Samsung 830 SSD
2x320GB 7200RPM HDDs

CPU and GPU's are watercooled in a single loop with 1x360mm top mounted rad and an XTPC bay reservoir + pump combo. I've been really thinking to do 2x240mm rads with one on front and one on bottom and this might just be the case to do it with. Top mounted rads can be a PITA with air bubbles and hoses.

Idonno

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2011

I know it's tough isn't it! I've already built my entire next PC complete in my new 900D case (IN MY MIND!)

All I need to do now is figure out how to build it with an empty wallet. (it's still recovering from my last build). :pt1cable:

biggestinsect

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012
Looks like Corsair did some fine engineering here. They got a lot of the details spot on. Need to see one in real life but the quality and esthetics appear to be top notch. I own a CaseLabs enclosure and they are unequaled in quality and in a class all their own. Their products are also a lot more expensive with no fans or filters included. I think for the price the 900 is a relative bargain. Corsair seems to have found a good balance between quality aluminum and cost effective steel in this case. This is a very tempting option for next water cooled workstation build.

scook9

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2008
Ready for my local MicroCenter to get one so I can see it in person!

I love my 700D but got it for $100 new on an awesome sale....so keeping that in mind will probably have to pass on this beauty :( $350 is a very large pill to swallow afterall

Sniper_X

Honorable
Jan 21, 2014
I'm disappointed that this article was as positive about this case as it was.  I have built many custom systems and I have to say that while there are some great aspects to this case, the moving parts and details are poor quality.My opinion is that if you're going to do something and do it right.For example, the drive sleds are absolutely a disaster.They are weak, flimsy, and sloppy in their fifth even inside the case they were designed for.The fit of the front panel also depends on some very flimsy press-fit sockets.Worst of all, the dust screens are doomed to early failure because they are attached to the case using strips of magnets that are double-sided taped to the screens. I have unboxed 4 of these already and have seen these screens already get sticky and droopy in the box because of this bad design.I was very excited about this case, but too disappointed to buy one.   I expect more quality than they are delivering, and I can find it in other case manufacturers.  :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS