Question Corsair PC4-24000 CL15 with CL16

Brian77

Distinguished
May 27, 2003
Hi,

I currently own Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB (2x4GB) DDR4 DRAM 3000MHz (PC4-24000) C15 and looking to get bump up to 16GB.

I noticed I can get the CL16 version of the ram (CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 8GB (2 x 4GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3000 (PC4 24000) CL16) at almost half the cost.

Would there be any issues with using CL16 with my current CL15 memory? Will my motherboard just adjust to the slower CL16 timing?

Current PC Spec:
AMD Ryzen 1600 with MSI B350 Tomahawk motherboard.

Thanks in advance for any assistance!!

Lutfij

Titan
I would not mix and match rams if I were you. There are known threads where different latency'd rams on one system made to work with each other caused instability issues. In your case, you would need to relax the timings of the CL15 kit to work in CL16. The lower the number, the tighter the latency. In short, if I were you, I'd pick the same kit as you currently have or pick two kits of the one you're looking at. On a side note, always make sure you're on the latest BIOS update for your motherboard prior to any upgrades.

Lutfij

Titan
I would not mix and match rams if I were you. There are known threads where different latency'd rams on one system made to work with each other caused instability issues. In your case, you would need to relax the timings of the CL15 kit to work in CL16. The lower the number, the tighter the latency. In short, if I were you, I'd pick the same kit as you currently have or pick two kits of the one you're looking at. On a side note, always make sure you're on the latest BIOS update for your motherboard prior to any upgrades.

Adding extra memory to existing memory have no guarantee to be compatible together. Use of exact match, same thing, identical may increase your chances of memory working together over the use of random modules, but have no guarantee to be compatible together.

What happens when such combinations are made is that the memory is no longer able to operate at rated specifications. This may cause the PC to be unable to boot or only able to run at a slower memory clock speed with relaxed timings. Since the old memory has never been tested with the new memory, you will be the first to test for compatibility with no guarantees.