Review Corsair Platform:6 Standing Desk Review: Premium Design with a Price Tag to Match

Nov 17, 2023
The Secretlab Magnus desk is a higher quality product and it's cheaper.

Secretlab has nice magnetic cable management I'll give it that, but they miss the mark on so many other things:

- "Premium" PC desk mount only supports 550mm height maximum for PC cases, too small for beefy tall rigs. So now I'll have a "gaming" desk that I can't even put my PC (Corsair 7000x case) on? Ridiculous

- Wimpy desk legs without a crossbar, which gives rise to wobble at height.

- No option for non-motorized desk, except for regular metal desk, which is too small. (Don't care for motor)

- All proprietary add-ons for monitor arms, while Corsair owns Elgato, which is more feature rich and modular.

Tell me again how Secretlabs is the better desk?

MoxNix

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2014
Just get a good office sit stand desk from a company like Steelcase. You'll get a bigger, better desk for less money. If you search around you can find a good used ones at great prices too. I picked up a nice 6x6 foot L shaped used Steelcase 3 motor sit stand desk with matching wheeled 3 drawer cabinet for $400 CDN delivered.

Last edited:

Co BIY

Splendid
Just get a good office sit stand desk from a company like Steelcase. You'll get a bigger, better desk for less money. If you search around you can find a good used ones at great prices too. I picked up a nice 6x6 foot L shaped used Steelcase 3 motor sit stand desk with matching wheeled 3 drawer cabinet for $400 CDN delivered.

100% Agreed on considering Steelcase. Serious office furniture well designed and to last.

My Leap v2 Chair is amazing. Had to buy my son one because it would just migrate over to his desk all the time.

As far as a desk - the closer a desk gets to a 36" hardwood door slab set between two full file cabinets the closer it is to perfection. If you can get the slab to levitate the file cabinets can go anywhere else in the office.

I think a floor that dropped down to allow standing while not moving the desk around would be great although perhaps not that practical.

Last edited:

BadBoyGreek

Distinguished
Secretlab has nice magnetic cable management I'll give it that, but they miss the mark on so many other things:

- "Premium" PC desk mount only supports 550mm height maximum for PC cases, too small for beefy tall rigs. So now I'll have a "gaming" desk that I can't even put my PC (Corsair 7000x case) on? Ridiculous

- Wimpy desk legs without a crossbar, which gives rise to wobble at height.

- No option for non-motorized desk, except for regular metal desk, which is too small. (Don't care for motor)

- All proprietary add-ons for monitor arms, while Corsair owns Elgato, which is more feature rich and modular.

Tell me again how Secretlabs is the better desk?
At least the Secretlab desk offers a PC mount. I don’t see that on Corsair’s list of options. Odds are that Secretlab will also come out with a mount that will support a full tower at some point. The desk also doesn’t wobble as much as you think in the standing position; I own the Magnus Pro XL and it hardly wobbles while I use it. The legs are far from “wimpy”.

Also, you don’t have to use Secretlab’s monitor arms. There are plenty of other branded ones that work just fine with it. I use a Vivo arm which has an Odyssey Neo G9 mounted to it with absolutely no issues. Secretlab’s cable management tray is also superior, no cabling visible from the underside vs. the Corsair where you can see the rat’s nest of cables.

And when you consider that you can get the Magnus XL Pro for the same price as the base model Corsair desk, your point about not caring about it being motorized is moot. It’s a better value all around and extremely well made.