Corsair PSU fuse keeps blowing

ers2014

Reputable
Apr 23, 2014
Hi, I have my desktop since 2008 and yesterday when I switch it on it bangs my house fuse. Today I disassembled my computer, changed the fuse from the psu and tried the paperclip test, when i turned on the psu switch bang a flash from the switch. The switch keeps like dead for some moments and the fuse is gone again. Inside the psu there is no sign of burn components, defective capacitors or any smell. It's a Corsair TX6500W. Probably I need a new psu ... but if is there anything I can do for this one I would appreciate any help. Thanks

Solution
It is highly unlikely that the power supply is 'finished,' but professional repair is uneconomical. Do not attempt PSU repair yourself unless you have an adequate understanding of high voltage hazards and how to avoid them.

A blown fuse indicates failure in the high voltage side, such as a shorted inverter transistor (MOSFETs) or power factor correction transistor (MOSFET or IGBT), but it's possible the bridge rectifier is shorted. All of these components can be tested with the ohms or diode function of a multimeter.

The power supply forum of http://www.badcaps.net is very good for these issues.

AniAM

Reputable
Mar 26, 2014
Hey badboy,got 3 questions.1.Gonna buy a VS550,how's this PSU will be and does the top-mounting reduce the PSU's health? 2. Which is preferred overall? Top or bottom mounted? 3.for a 8320 and a low-end GPU,would be a VS450 enough?

Adroid

Distinguished
I would not buy a corsair CX series, they have got a bad wrap for the cheap capacitors.

Get a XFX or seasonic. 450 is probably enough for a low end GPU, depending on which one. You are better off getting a 550 for mid range or 650 for ability to upgrade to higher end GPU without any problems.

This one is a great buy

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/xfx-power-supply-p1550sxxb9

Can't speak to case placement im too lazy to look it up and don't want to give bad information.

Zombie615

Honorable
Feb 9, 2014
You PSU is unsafe an I wouldn't trust it at all. Hell, could catch fire with all that nonsense going on. Like others said, email corsair an let them know of this defect so they can investigate it for the sake of other people who like their products.

Adroid

Distinguished

That position is pretty standard for PSUs. So yes, it's fine if thats what you are asking. Probably 95% of ATX form factor cases let you put a PSU in that way.

Some modern cases let you mount the PSU on top or bottom and sometimes upside down on bottom.

bryanl

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2009
It is highly unlikely that the power supply is 'finished,' but professional repair is uneconomical. Do not attempt PSU repair yourself unless you have an adequate understanding of high voltage hazards and how to avoid them.

A blown fuse indicates failure in the high voltage side, such as a shorted inverter transistor (MOSFETs) or power factor correction transistor (MOSFET or IGBT), but it's possible the bridge rectifier is shorted. All of these components can be tested with the ohms or diode function of a multimeter.

The power supply forum of http://www.badcaps.net is very good for these issues.

Solution
a lot of people here are stick with somes brand of psu...please be update and learning please...
it have a lot of change in hitech each year..about the psu
some brand like corsair learned about bad psu and they changed it ...SO ALMOST ALL CX AND TX SERIES are right now very good and cheap , to have a xfx or seasonic psu you have to pay more for nothing..they are very good psu like corsair , we have some good antec psu too but not all model
i told this just because i am fet up to read some stupid answer sometimes
i try to choose the cheapest and good hardwares for the budget we have and it do not mean the hardwares will blow out