Question Corsair PSU sometimes fails to power on ?

Jun 30, 2022
It seems whenever my Windows 10 pc goes into sleep mode, it fails to wake up when I move the mouse or keyboard. This setting hasn't changed. I sometimes hear the click/tick sound that engages when they are disturbed but nothing happens. Even pressing the power button has no effect. I have to turn off at the back and wait a while before turning on again but that doesn't always work of late unless left much longer.

If left long enough I can boot it up and it runs for hours fine. If I shut down and try to power on straight away it usually comes back on but sometimes it doesn't. The power button sends the usual audible click to the PSU but nothing happens.

Its a Corsair TX750M that is only 2 years old. I have noticed all three cores are spiking high temp (66,59,60 degrees ) but nothing that is causing the pc to shut down. A few months ago I did disturb the cpu fan to clean it, not knowing about the thermal paste. I placed it back but perhaps it needs re-applying ?

Any help would be great as Corsair don't seem to know thus far without doing the paperclip test which I don't want to do as it will involve unplugging the cables

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

With the age of the PSU in mind, what are the specs to the build which the PSU is powering? As for your platform, is it overclocked? As for your OS, what version(not edition) of Windows 10 are you working with?

You might want to rule out your PSU being the root of the cause, by sourcing a donor PSU(not buying one) to work with your platform. If the issue is alleviated, then the culprit is the TX750M.

doing the paperclip test
Paper clip tests are moot, they can only show that the PSU can output power, they can't tell you how much power the PSU can effectively output towards the entire system at any given moment.

Jun 30, 2022
Hi, thanks for your response and for welcoming me. What seems to happen is if it goes into sleep mode it doesn't wake back up. I unplug the power from the wall and try and power on and it is unresponsive. If I leave it a while, come back and press the button it powers back on.

Another thing Cosair have asked me to do is a CMOS reset which sounds a bit scary as I don't really want to mess with the bios. having said that the Youtube video makes it look simple enough. As the 3 cpu's are spiking into hot of late (even when the pc is idle) I have ordered some fresh thermal paste to apply to the cpu as it may be something to do with that. It wouldn't hurt top have a fresh application anyway.

Here is my system.

Device name DESKTOP-SF85TQD
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-9600KF CPU @ 3.70GHz 3.70 GHz
Installed RAM 16.0 GB
Device ID 20688600-4736-424F-A567-2089C0697A72
Product ID 00330-80212-38499-AA896
System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

Edition Windows 10 Pro
Version 21H2
Installed on ‎19/‎10/‎2020
OS build 19044.1766
Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.4180.0

Matthew44

Prominent
Apr 28, 2022
Can' anyone help me here as I supplied the info as requested. Now the PSU turns on for about 3 seconds and immediately switched back off.
sorry for the late reply, ive only just seen this thread today, but try buying a new power supply unit as it is 2 years old. As the pc isnt turning back on after putting it in sleep mode and it turns off after 3 seconds , the culprit is bound to be the psu.
hope this helps :)

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Nothing can really be accomplished until you repaste.

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/thermal-paste-heat-sink-heat-spreader,3600-6.html
Make sure to clean the cpu and heatsink fully, preferably with rubbing alcohol/isopropyl alcohol of at least 70% but preferably 90% or better and lint free cloth (coffee filters work great)

If you are not comfortable doing so, any shop can do it for a minimal fee, or you might have friends who know how.

Once that's done, your pc should not be shutting off due to thermal issues (that's a cpu protective mode), so any further diagnosis can be done.