Corsair ram and x470 gaming pro, question about compatibility.

Nov 5, 2018
Hello everyone,

i'm having issues deciding what to do with the ram that was just delivered to me.

It is a 2x8 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz cl15 (réf : CMK16GX4M2B3000C15)

I also ordered a Ryzen 7 2700 and a motherboard MSI X470 Gaming pro that shouldn't be delivered before 2 weeks which prevents me from testing the RAM.

I had checked the QVL list of the motherboard which says that this Corsair RAM is compatible in its version 5.3, which MSI seems to think its a Samsung chipset :

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/X470-GAMING-PRO#support-mem-14

The fact is the RAM i received is a version 4.31. After checking on forum, it seems that this version is actually a Samsung chipset whereas the 5.3 one is Hynix.

Two questions then :
1) Is it an error on the MSI QVL list?
2) Is my RAM, ver 4.31, compatible or not with my future mobo and cpu?

I also sent a message to msi asking the same question but it may not be absurd to think i'd get a better answer from here...

Thanks a lot!

Lutfij

Titan
Memory QVL's mean that they were tested in the lab prior to the boards launch. In theory any ram kit will drop into your ram slot so long as you meet the minimum specs for the board. Once you get the board, use one stick of ram and while in default specs, make sure you're on the latest BIOS updates for your motherboard.

After you're updated, you can manually key in the values for the ram in BIOS for frequency, voltage and timings.

Nov 5, 2018
Ok, thanks. Compatibility specs are all ok, just this version thing that seems to differ from the QVL and the fact they mention the wrong chip is weird. Hope everything will work fine because i doubt i would be able to send in back in two weeks if it doesn't work.