Corsair RM550x Power Supply Review

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Aris_Mp

Contributing Editor
Editor
Feb 5, 2015
I mean the current handling of the UPS which will feed the PSU with power during a mains grid failure.
The caps in the APFC converter don't have an inrush current handling capacity. They are the source of inrush current at the first place because they want to be charged the faster the possible, so they draw huge amounts of current. The larger these caps are the larger the inrush current.

Yes I am the author of this review.

So do you personally, in this instance, recommend against the 550 G2 then? If the choice was the 550 G2 for $80 and the 550 RMx for $100, do you think the RMx is the better option because of this hold-up to PWR-OK on the G2?

Aris_Mp

Contributing Editor
Editor
Feb 5, 2015
Normally a PSU should meet all ATX spec's requirements. However despite the lower hold-up time of the 550 G2 I still believe that it is a fine PSU. If you are on a tight budget then you can go with it, assuming that with normal loads (and not full load) the hold-up time will surpass 17ms. However if you want an even better unit and don't mind investing 20 bucks more, then the Corsair RM550x would be my choice. Of course the best option would be if Corsair lowered the price of its offering and matched EVGA's offering.

powernod

Reputable
Sep 6, 2015
Thank you Aris for your explanations, your information is always great, as in your PSU 101 article.

I'll be more cautious recommending the 550 G2 from now on when the FSP Hydro G 650W is available for the same price.

1.HydroG 650 has also failed the Power-OK test ( http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/fsp-hydro-g-650-power-supply,4462-4.html ), just not so dramatically like the SF Leadex 550 did.
2.As i told you before, the Power-OK test is new, so very few PSUs have been checked so far. The EVGA G2 550, hasn't been tested so far for Power-OK, only for the normal "Hold-UP time" test (failed at this test). But since it is based on the same platform with the SF Leadex 550, it is logical to assume that these 2 units will have similar performance at the Power-OK test as well.
At this moment the RMx550 is an excellent all around PSU that passed all the tests that was tested.
(P.S. I'm anxious to see how Seasonic's platforms will perform at this new Power-OK test. )

logainofhades

Titan
@$30 less, I would probably still choose a Seasonic 550g, unless full modular was absolutely needed. Used one in a 1231v3/GTX 970 mini-itx rig, and I am using the 650w version in my own rig. They have been solid units, especially mine, with my 3570k and 780ti folding all the time.

Looks pretty good. If they can get the price down a bit maybe they can sell some of them. Competition in that power range is pretty stiff. Still, it's good to see Corsair making a good unit when some of their others are so...meh.

Mikkel_1989

Reputable
Jan 14, 2016
Just a stupid question (propably).. on corsairs website it says under combatibility:

6th generation Intel® Core™ processor Ready (Intel Skylake and Z170 motherboards)

does that mean it's Z170 boards exclusively, or can I use it with a H110 board ? :)

logainofhades

Titan
You can still use it on an H110 board. That is just marketing rubbish like when monitors, back in the day had vista read stickers on them. :lol:

Had it just said Haswell/Skylake compliant, that would have been a different story.

EETechs

Commendable
Mar 29, 2016
Well I don't think I can compete against you if I ever decide to do power supply reviews. Hmm.. Are you by any chance a member of the EEVblog forums? You seem to know the exact equipment to get for testing power supplies the proper way compared to everyone else that does these reviews. Plus, you have the big names such as Keithly, Rigol, Keysight, and Chroma. All very well known big players in the test equipment market.

You must be super rich too. These PC guys complain about prices of power supplies for PC's and prices of PC components. If only they knew how much test equipment costs!!!! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.