[SOLVED] Corsair RM650 Gold pin voltages

Jan 13, 2021
My computer won’t load BIOS. Before doing anything else I want to check the voltages on every pin of the power supply. Does anyone have a ’map’ or a link to a source where I can get those details?

Jan 13, 2021
Something like the following link?

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-manually-test-a-power-supply-with-a-multimeter-2626158

And you can purchase dedicated devices.

Google words/phrasing such as "computer power supply testers".

For voltages, colors, pins, google "computer power supply pinouts" - look for images.

Thanks for that link. But it’s not exactly what I’m looking for. The article listed all the voltages a power supply is expected to produce. What I’m looking for is what voltage is appropriate at each pin. The article specifies what is appropriate for a red wire (for example), but my PSU is modular... no wires coming from it, so I need to stick a test probe into each pin . But thanks.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Thanks for that link. But it’s not exactly what I’m looking for. The article listed all the voltages a power supply is expected to produce. What I’m looking for is what voltage is appropriate at each pin. The article specifies what is appropriate for a red wire (for example), but my PSU is modular... no wires coming from it, so I need to stick a test probe into each pin . But thanks.
Might hook the cables to it and use the same guide?

Reactions: Ralston18
Jan 13, 2021
You mean it powers up, but doesn't post?

Is this a new build?

Did you try to post with just the bare essentials?

Yes, it powers up but doesn’t post. Yes, it’s a new build (my first). No, I didn’t try to post with only the bare essentials.

I believe it’s a heat problem. My next step is to remove the CPU fan and reapply the thermal grease (after removing the existing grease). My fear is that this might have burned out the CPU (Ryzen 5 3600). If it still doesn’t post, is there a good way to confirm whether the CPU is good or not, short of buying a new one and plugging it in?

Ralston18

Titan
Solution
Jan 13, 2021
Seconding @Zerk2012

Each pin: Google "PSU connector pin voltages" or use similar words and phrasing. Filter down to images may help find other diagrams.

There are standards but watch for potential differences (proprietary) changes.

Pinouts: EXAMPLES

https://www.smps.us/power-connectors.html

https://www.lifewire.com/atx-24-pin-12v-power-supply-pinout-2624578

Just ensure that you use the pinout diagram applicable to your system.

Thanks! That’s exactly what I was looking for.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Nice idea, I hadn’t thought of that. Unfortunately I don’t have cables to do that. Mine are all wrapped in a black plastic mesh-like covering with no individual wires visible.
Ya you don't need wire colors just start with pin 1.
On a side note for a PC not powering on that would be way down my list.

I would short the power pins on the board first.
Then do the PSU paperclip test.
From their breadboard the system.