[SOLVED] Corsair SF750 vs Corsair RM750x for avoiding HDMI and audio interferences ?

hlz

Oct 28, 2021
Hello,

I was checking ripple suppression and EMI emissions on both PSUs.
While SF750 has the lowest EMI emissions, the RM750x looks better on the ripple suppression side.

I'm using Tom's reviews of both PSUs, at the following links:
SF750
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/corsair-sf750-psu,5979-4.html

RM750x
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/corsair-rm750x-2021-power-supply-review/4

Use case: on my work, we're dealing with HDMI dropouts occurring on HDMI switches. We tried a lot of power filters (including Tripp Lite ISOBAR and Ebtech Hum X) . We just didn't tried giving our PC a new PSU (this PC uses a generic cheap PSU).

Also, it's clear to us that the interference comes from the powerline and propagates through the HDMI cable. We know this, since we tested an notebook on and off the powerline.

In this case, what is best? Lower EMI or lower ripple?
I'm inclined in buying the SF750. (I'm just waiting for the store answering my questions about the lot of the PSUs they are selling, since there are problematic batches:
)

Thanks in advance and best regards,

HLZ

Solution
Do note that Corsair SF750 is SFX PSU and you'll need SFX -> ATX adapter when you plan to use it in a PC case that is designed to hold ATX sized PSU.

Oh, for another choice, and again in SFX PSU section, how about Seasonic Focus SGX-650,
review: https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/seasonic-focus-sgx-650w-sfx-l-psu,6045-4.html

It has lower EMI and better +12V and 5VSB ripple, compared to Corsair SF750. Albeit, it also has 100W less max output.

I'd go with lower EMI, since you have issues with EMI right now and the whole reason to get new PSU is minimize EMI.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Do note that Corsair SF750 is SFX PSU and you'll need SFX -> ATX adapter when you plan to use it in a PC case that is designed to hold ATX sized PSU.

Oh, for another choice, and again in SFX PSU section, how about Seasonic Focus SGX-650,
review: https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/seasonic-focus-sgx-650w-sfx-l-psu,6045-4.html

It has lower EMI and better +12V and 5VSB ripple, compared to Corsair SF750. Albeit, it also has 100W less max output.

I'd go with lower EMI, since you have issues with EMI right now and the whole reason to get new PSU is minimize EMI.

Solution

hlz

Oct 28, 2021

Thank you very much for the indication of the Seasonic Focus and for observing about SFX vs ATX.

In reality, I'm in search of an ATX PSU with the the lowest EMI.
I'm targeting the same price of a RM750x or a little more.

Again,

Thank you!

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
In reality, I'm in search of an ATX PSU with the the lowest EMI.

Hmmm.... How about Seasonic SSR-750TD,
review: https://www.techpowerup.com/review/seasonic-prime-750/11.html

I have Seasonic SSR-650TD in use (Skylake build, specs in my sig) and SSR-650TR as well (Haswell build).

Some years back, when Seasonic released their PRIME lineup, SSR-650TD was the best 650W PSU money could buy, with mythical levels of performance. E.g ripple,
review: https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/seasonic-prime-titanium-650w-psu,4690-9.html

Also, Seasonic PRIME series PSUs, are the only ones in the wide world, that come with 12 years of warranty. While with e.g Corsair RMx series, you get 10 years of warranty.

Oh, to make sense about Seasonic part numbers;
SSR-xxxTD = PRIME 80+ Titanium
SSR-xxxTR = PRIME Ultra 80+ Titanium (aka current PRIME TX-series)

After the release of their PRIME lineup (SSR-xxxTD for 80+ Titanium efficiency), Seasonic made slight changes and few years later, released PRIME Ultra lineup (SSR-xxxTR for 80+ Titanium).
There are little differences between SSR-xxxTD and it's successor, SSR-xxxTR. Contacted Seasonic about the differences and got this as an answer:
Thank you for your email and interest in our PRIME Ultra Series.

PRIME Ultra will introduce few updates for this Series:
  • General optimization (capacitors for example)
  • No more inline capacitor for PRIME Ultra 1000 Titanium and Platinum and Gold. Previous models has some on PCI-E and motherboard cables for example.
  • New accessories: PSU tester and SATA adapter compatible with SATA 3.3 used by some HDD recently released on market. Some SATA cable(s) will have connectors at 180° instead of 90°.
  • Shorter case (140mm only) for 550W, 650W, 750W in PRIME Ultra Platinum and Gold.
For the 600W Titanium Fanless, it's a model expected since few months now and it will be on market very soon.

I hope I could give you more information about PRIME Ultra. If you have any other question, please contact me anytime.
Thank you.

And some time later, Seasonic went on to change the naming of PSUs to the better, with OneSeasonic initiative. With this, PRIME Ultra 80+ Titanium lineup was renamed to PRIME TX, PRIME Ultra 80+ Platinum to PRIME PX and PRIME Ultra 80+ Gold to PRIME GX.
E.g: PRIME Ultra 650 80+ Titanium -> PRIME TX-650.
In my opinion, that was a nice name change. Easier to remember and write.

Last edited:

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
the other <Mod Edit> present in the majority of modern Seasonic products :/

Majority of Seasonic offerings consist of PRIME and Focus lineups, 7 models in each. Then there are Syncro and Connect. <- All these are well made.
Core lineup has 3 models. <- These are on the budget side of things. Not the best but not the worst either.
All that is followed by some of the latest/cheaper models, like: G12, B12, A12, S12III, S12II EVO and Eco Plus.

So, out of 25 different models offered by Seasonic;
7 of them are best offered by Seasonic (PRIME)
Another 7 are good PSUs (Focus)
Two are innovations and also good (Syncro and Connect)
3 are mediocre (Core)
And the rest, 6, are poor (G12, B12, A12, S12III, S12II EVO and Eco Plus). Though, there aren't reviews of all of those 6, so, we don't know if they all are bad. Some are, like S12III or G12.

So, where's that "majority" you're talking about?

Do note that the SF750 comes with said adapter.

Didn't know that. Thanks for pointing out.

Last edited by a moderator:

Juular

Respectable
BANNED
Mar 14, 2020
7 of them are best offered by Seasonic (PRIME)
Another 7 are good PSUs (Focus)
7 models each ? Are you also counting SnowSilent, AirTouch and Fanless which are all essentially the same thing being sold over and over again, not to mention that sub 850W Gold and Platinum Primes are actually Focus too ? Also considering that there are zero reviews on Core either, i can't consider them good, they're probably fine tho. But even if the company has even just 7 random-ass junk models with zero reviews on out of 25 models, even if that's not majority it's still not the company i can trust. But please, don't turn this into another Seasonic vs the world thread, i've tried explaining to you why i don't consider Seasonic products or company in general being good but you've just ignored my reply, not going to do that again.
Both really, but if you're using a random generic PSU right now then that's your problem. Likely, getting any even remotely decent PSU would solve the problem. But be aware that unless you have an mATX case, Corsair SF even with adapter is going to have too short cables (because it's an SFF PSU).

Elisis

Commendable
Nov 14, 2019
All these are well made.
I wouldn't call any PSU made by a faux "OEM" well-made
Two are innovations and also good (Syncro and Connect)
Innovations that have gained zero traction, while also filling a nonexistent niche. You can't even buy them.
So, where's that "majority" you're talking about?
I mean, the majority of high end Seasonic models have issues with Ampere. That's a pretty significant thing to note.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
7 models each ? Are you also counting SnowSilent, AirTouch and Fanless

Yes, i counted these three as well since they are also part of the PRIME lineup.

which are all essentially the same thing

Yes, they are essentially same, since they all are PSUs and designed to power the PC. Just like e.g Corsair TXm and RMx series are essentially the same, since they all are PSUs.

being sold over and over again

When it's good, what's wrong on keeping it in production and selling it? Or do you prefer the constant changes that have happened in e.g Corsair TX series?
For example; TX-750.
There are 4 different PSUs bearing Corsair TX-750 label, produced by 3 different OEMs and using 4 different platforms. How on hell should end user know which of the 4 he is getting when buying TX-750? Especially since Corsair loves to mix up their PSU lines, without letting consumers know that the platform or even OEM has been completely changed.

Latest fiasco was with CX series, namely CX450. There is no telling if you get Great Wall or CWT unit, if you buy one,
review: https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/corsair-cx450-psu,5678.html

That being said, i rather buy a PSU who's platform is tried, tested and proven to be reliable, without shady dealings changing the PSU internals without a word.

that sub 850W Gold and Platinum Primes are actually Focus too ?

No, they are not.

PRIME series are using different platform to Focus series and unless you provide credible review, stating otherwise, it's your word against mine and until then, it also remains so.

Also considering that there are zero reviews on Core either

When there are no reviews of PSU, how can you rank it, in your PSU tier list, that you copy/pasted from LTT forums?
link: https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/psucultists-psu-tier-list-rev-14-8-12-07-2021.3624094/

Seasonic Core series are snug in the B tier, which are "recommended for midrange systems".
Btw, there is one review of Core GC-500 and Core GC-600.

it's still not the company i can trust.

That's you and your beliefs. I, in the other hand, can not trust a company who changes PSU internals without changing the model number, where i have 0 clue which of the many revisions of that PSU i'd be getting (looking towards Corsair and Gigabyte).

but you've just ignored my reply

I have a thing called real life and while i did read what you said in another topic, at that time, i didn't have time to write you back a lengthy reply, which i currently did.

I know that you don't like Seasonic for your own reasons. I don't like Corsair for my own reasons.
Am i following other people around the forums and bashing every Corsair PSU suggestion they are making, because i don't like Corsair? No.

Innovations that have gained zero traction, while also filling a nonexistent niche.

A company who is willing to spend time, money and resources to innovate, in my book, is in far greater regard, than those who are doing the same old thing without ever wanting to change.

For example: Seasonic was the 1st who made 80+ (White) efficiency PSU. They were also the 1st who made 80+ Gold efficiency PSU. Given their small size and limited resources, that's impressive feat. CWT, Great Wall, HEC - all are bigger than Seasonic, yet, they refuse to innovate. Instead, they do the same age old thing over and over. Surely, they have the money and resources to innovate but they don't have the will.

You can't even buy them.

Sure you can. You just need to bother to search it a bit.

E.g;
Connect in Egg: https://www.newegg.com/seasonic-connect-ssr-750fa-750w/p/N82E16817151232
Syncro PSU, also in Egg: https://www.newegg.com/seasonic-syncro-dpc-850-850w/p/N82E16817151250

Being lazy is not a valid reason.

I mean, the majority of high end Seasonic models have issues with Ampere.

Not quite.

By JonnyGuru:

Seasonic PRIME based units experience shutdowns with RTX3080/3090 (and possibly RX6900 XT) GPUs, especially ones with unlocked power limit like FE and ASUS Strix. It is recommended, if going with such units, to overprovision wattage, 1kW for RTX3080 and 1.2kW for RTX3090, or power-limit the GPU, or performing a 'dirty' fix of disconnecting a pin of 12V V-sense wire from PSU-side connector of 24-pin motherboard cable.
Units based on post-2018 revisions of Seasonic Focus platform and majority of units by other OEMs are not affected.

Nvidia Ampere includes from RTX 3050 to RTX 3090 (9 GPUs in total), while only RTX 3080/3090 are affected. So, the issue isn't with whole Ampere, but only two of the top end ones. And not all of those either, but instead with those GPUs, which have unlocked power limit.
Either don't let GPU draw as much as it wants or have beefier wattage PSU, so that the GPU doesn't trip PSU's 12V rail safeguard (and shutting down the PC).

hlz

Oct 28, 2021

Thank you very much for your suggestion. I'll consider this PSU.

Do note that the SF750 comes with said adapter.

Good to know. Thank you!

be aware that unless you have an mATX case, Corsair SF even with adapter is going to have too short cables (because it's an SFF PSU).

Very good point. Thank you to pointing it!

Reactions: Aeacus

Juular

Respectable
BANNED
Mar 14, 2020
Yes, they are essentially same, since they all are PSUs and designed to power the PC. Just like e.g Corsair TXm and RMx series are essentially the same, since they all are PSUs.
Ridiculous argument. There's a difference between different PSUs being PSUs 'same' because they're well, PSUs, and literally the same units being sold either without fan at all with lower rated wattage (Fanless), with 2 more useless fan modes (Airtouch), or just white casing (SnowSilent). More different models is not a bad thing, people want white PSUs, and some may like more fan modes to tinker with, but this is not 14 models, it's 5. But again, not that it matters, junk budget offerings are still there.
When it's good, what's wrong on keeping it in production and selling it?
There's a crucial difference between selling the same thing for several years, and selling the same thing under different names with minor changes and vastly different asking price.
There are 4 different PSUs bearing Corsair TX-750 label, produced by 3 different OEMs and using 4 different platforms.
You mean, over the course of 14 years ? Yes, that's true.
How on hell should end user know which of the 4 he is getting when buying TX-750?
You can't buy any of that today, so you don't have to. Only two different versions of TX-m you can buy today are 2017 and 2021 revisions, which look completely different outside.
Especially since Corsair loves to mix up their PSU lines, without letting consumers know that the platform or even OEM has been completely changed
Like, they should make an announcement when they're switching from outdated Seasonic S12II platform to better CWT one when making a different model ? They do not bear the same model number, and there are differences outside. Besides, it's a common practice to not tell the end user what's the OEM for your product, otherwise you'd get armchair engineers arguing over the internet that one product is clearly better than the other because it's made by superior Seasonic, and the other by clearly inferior, 'Chinese' CWT or Great Wall.
There is no telling if you get Great Wall or CWT unit, if you buy one
And that matters why ?
That being said, i rather buy a PSU who's platform is tried, tested and proven to be reliable, without shady dealings changing the PSU internals without a word.
Trust me, all platforms Corsair uses they've tried, tested and made sure that it's reliable. I didn't want to turn this thread into Seasonic vs Corsair, but at least while Jon is with Corsair i certainly have more faith in Corsair PSUs than in the majority of other brands, including Seasonic.
No, they are not. PRIME series are using different platform to Focus series and unless you provide credible review, stating otherwise, it's your word against mine and until then, it also remains so.
Lol, here you go :
https://nl.hardware.info/artikel/89...dingen-review-maakt-een-dure-voeding-verschil
Just two reviews, i wonder why, maybe Seasonic doesn't want people to know that they're selling Focus under Prime brand ? Also, if you go to Seasonic site, you'll see that there's a clear difference between sub 850W Prime Gold/Platinums and higher wattage ones - casing depth, which indicates that it's a Focus platform, because Prime is longer (and well, you see that it's actually Focus in those reviews above). So in the end, the only difference between lower wattage Prime GX/PX and Focus GX/PX is in the cables, Prime cables are single ended, and there are more of them. Thing is, for the price difference between them (80-100$) you can buy a full kit of custom cables of whatever shape and form you want ...
When there are no reviews of PSU, how can you rank it, in your PSU tier list, that you copy/pasted from LTT forums?
Seasonic Core series are snug in the B tier, which are "recommended for midrange systems".
That's a difficult topic, on the one hand there are no reviews, but on the other hand people are constantly asking where's the Seasonic Core position, and there's some expectation on quality of these because they look like somewhat downgraded Focus, so we put it in that position. Although that it's in normal priority is a mistake, it would be moved to low priority, because there are not enough reviews to paint a full picture about it. Same thing can be said about a lot of units there in low priority subtiers really, not all companies value reviews, some tend to completely ignore sending reviews samples out (like EVGA), we still need to somehow tier those because people are asking about them. But if you look at up-to-date version (LTT and THW versions are unlikely to be updated anymore), we've made some changes to lengthen the gap between units there are zero concrete information. For example, tier A and D units without reviews are moved one tier down, i plan to do the same for tier B and C units too. Seasonic Core likely would still be in the tier B LP tho, as it's again, assumed to be a Focus costdown, not something completely new.
Btw, there is one review of Core GC-500 and Core GC-600.
Three actually, but what i mean, there are no or close to no proper reviews, because i can hardly call those proper. But in total i think that's already enough to put it in tier B, it's a budget tier afterall.
That's you and your beliefs. I, in the other hand, can not trust a company who changes PSU internals without changing the model number, where i have 0 clue which of the many revisions of that PSU i'd be getting (looking towards Corsair and Gigabyte).
I feel like you know something about Corsair lineup i don't. Because again, all aforementioned TX/TX-m series PSUs are clearly different outside, they have three different 80+ ratings and model numbers are clearly different too.
For example: Seasonic was the 1st who made 80+ (White) efficiency PSU. They were also the 1st who made 80+ Gold efficiency PSU. Given their small size and limited resources, that's impressive feat.
No doubt, they did have some good stuff on their hands back then, i'm not against Seasonic as a company, i'm against what they're doing today.
CWT, Great Wall, HEC - all are bigger than Seasonic, yet, they refuse to innovate.
Excuse me ? What kind of innovation do you expect exactly ? Removing the DC-DC from the main PSU casing and putting it in the appendix which they call CONNECT ? That's the thing only Seasonic could've came up with because clearly no one else can do that /s And they didn't even make it compatible with 12VO while at it, i would've understood if that was the actual intent of this useless 'innovation' ...
At this point, any 'innovations' you could make in PSUs market would only be those kinds of gimmicks, we don't need that, we just need cheaper and better designs. Seasonic might have had some lead in the industry years ago, but now anything they can offer has either a cheaper or better-for-the-price alternative from other OEMs/brands, having the same if not higher QA level.
Instead, they do the same age old thing over and over. Surely, they have the money and resources to innovate but they don't have the will.
These three OEMs have minimum about 30 different platforms on their hands total, that's without stuff we don't see on the DIY market, because CWT and Great Wall also do a lot of SI and server PSUs. But that's not a metric of the overall quality of their PSUs or some specific PSUs in question, you misunderstood me if you think that i judge brands/OEM by the amount of designs they have. I just meant to say that CWT and Great Wall have more resources and they can come up with whatever their clients want, in contrast with Seasonic. And that's why Seasonic only makes slight variations of Focus and Prime (not a bad thing necessarily) and outsources budget stuff to random unknown OEMs (bad thing, at least until reviews prove on the contrary). And on the other hand CWT and Great Wall which people usually regard as 'junk Chinese OEM' have a lot of very good designs (reference or custom), some of which even considered, not only by me, but by actual professional reviewers to be if not better but at least on par with Seasonic offerings (most of which happen to be under Corsair brand but that's just a result of Jon knowing what he wants and making sure that they receive what they want). I would repeat again, it's not about the OEM or the brand, it's about the each resulting design.
Either don't let GPU draw as much as it wants or have beefier wattage PSU, so that the GPU doesn't trip PSU's 12V rail safeguard (and shutting down the PC).
If you actually read what Jon says, it's not about OCP, it's a flaw in the design of protection circuit that inadvertently shuts down the PSU when GPU feeds more than usual noise back through v-sense. It's not strictly Seasonic's fault (even though other OEMs are seemingly aware of such possibility, some even specifically put a ferrite bead on this wire inside the PSU) but nevertheless that's the state of their current offerings. And absolute majority of PSUs from other brands/OEM don't have such problem. Besides, it's also about how Seasonic treats this issue, or rather how they don't. When they had the same problem with Focus they've at least released a statement - that's a good thing, now they're in complete silence. If you would want to draw parallels with other brands - just like Gigabyte were silent with their P-GM fiasco until GN covered it, or contrary to how Corsair covered problems with their PSUs, namely failure of thermal pads on some batches of SF and TX-m and cracked MLCCs on modular board leading to problems with PG signal on some HX/HX-i, releasing statements, providing the range of affected units and offering advanced RMA.

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
No offence, but maybe that you two @Juular and @Aeacus can fight your fight in the next thread?
don't think this discussion here helps the OP. Those responses on each other are getting longer and longer.

Reactions: Aeacus