Corsair SPEC 1 + GS 700W + I5 4590 + CM Hyper 212x + R9 280X

ajinkys

Distinguished
May 12, 2014
PC_Config_Airflow.png
[/url] image hosting free[/img]

In the screen dump, i have portrayed the config which i recently bought ( Mobo is H87 Plus ). Before i proceed with assembling my components i want some reviews from experts with regards to COOLING & AIRFLOW. PS. - I WON'T be overclocking my PC EVER. Considering that and the arrangement in the screen dump, please advise for changes or better suggestions to keep a optimum airflow for low temperature and therefore better performance from all components.

Small change i was thinking - 1. PSU fan facing upwards so that the hot air exhausted by the GPU will be sucked in the PSU and exhausted out instead of the hot air revolving around the lower end of the cabinet ( for sometime ) before rising upwards. PSU wont be sucking is the extreme hot air because the front 140mm fans two of them will be throwing some fresh cool air towards the PSU and GPU. i think the lower end of my cabinet needs some ventilation to exhaust the hot air exhausted from the two exhaust fans of the GPU which is why the PSU fan facing upwards idea.

2. I'm planning to keep one fan slot on the top open as i doubt NON-OC pc requires so many fans or cooling. please suggest which top fan slot should i keep empty ( TOP FAN SLOT 1 OR TOP FAN SLOT 2 ) ? or do i need to install both the fans ? is that really necessary ? I'm looking forward to a really low noise with good airlfow.

Looking forward to a best answer with some logical reasoning and test results showcasing that PSU facing upward in my scenario would keep my GPU cooler and enable better airflow and cooling within the cabinet.

Solution

http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page362.htm

http://forum-en.msi.com/faq/article/power-requirements-for-graphics-cards

Also nvdia and amd may recommend higher wattage for their gpu cause they are also taking account of generic or lower quality psu existing on the market for example:

Power Supply: XFX TS 550W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $59.99
(Prices include...
this is a tipical config for modern mid - full tower providing best results. you dont have to change anything since the cooling ability will be more than sufficient for non overclocked components. as for the psu i wouldnt recommend flipping it over cause really it shouldnt suck any hot air from other components thats why it is bottom mounted. also keep in mind that the higher the temp inside a psu the lower the ability to output power. by the way gs corsair is a quality unit more than sufficent for your setup.also gs600 will still be more than enough.

ajinkys

Distinguished
May 12, 2014
Could you please answer my second query mentioned in my post as well ? and I haven't bought the PSU yet as TX650 was not available at my dealer. that's why eyeing for GS700 which has 3 LED lights & 80+bronze. 650W is the minimum req. for my config. especially the GPU. atlest that's what i have seen and read everywhere here and on internet.

install the fans as the photo specifies.Even without the top mounted fan the cooling would still be great. As for 280x even a 550w can easily run it. your system has a 30A on the 12v rail as a recommendation and since not any overclocking will be taking place, can be easily provided from any quality 550w unit. you can also try xfx as it has great, seasonic made units.
Any way a 650w will still be a great option for any future upgrades. more wattage is just an overkill except we are talking about a possible crossfire setup!

ajinkys

Distinguished
May 12, 2014
Could you please share a link or post or article posted on Tom's Hardware or anywhere on internet which will help me check and determine the right amount of Watt required for my config. Also, please let me know the parameter you check while determining a PSU for a particular Config. ?

http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page362.htm

http://forum-en.msi.com/faq/article/power-requirements-for-graphics-cards

Also nvdia and amd may recommend higher wattage for their gpu cause they are also taking account of generic or lower quality psu existing on the market for example:

Power Supply: XFX TS 550W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $59.99
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-06-03 04:48 EDT-0400)

Power Supply: Diablotek 600W ATX Power Supply ($35.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $35.98
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-06-03 04:56 EDT-0400)

so we have two psu one is rated as 550w and the other as 600w. some would say that the later is better due to higher wattage. that is far from true. the power provided on the12v rail is the crucial factor for choosing an apropriate psu since both cpu and gpu are the most power hungry components drawing power from the 12v rail.
xfx has one 12v rail of 45A * 12V = 540W meaning you can almost draw all the power from the 12v rail only.
Diablotek has combined 12v rails of (20+20)A * 12V = 480W meaning despite rated as 600w you can only draw 480w from the 12v rail, a number that a quality 500w unit can provide. another important factor is the temperature the psu are able to output their rated power. xfx produces a continues power of 550w at 50c. lower quality psu(such as diablotek) can barely output their rated power even at 25c(ambient room temp) (the more the temperature the lower the ability of the psu to output power)
you can also obtain psu info from here http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDFAQs

Solution

ajinkys

Distinguished
May 12, 2014

Thanks a ton for this info. btw how did you decide ' your system has a 30A on the 12v rail as a recommendation ' ?

many sites including this http://forum-en.msi.com/faq/article/power-requirements-for-graphics-cards have recommendations based on measurments (along side with cpu consumption) such as this one - AMD Radeon R9 280X, R9 270X, And R7 260X: Old GPUs, New Names or http://www.anandtech.com/show/7400/the-radeon-r9-280x-review-feat-asus-xfx also keep in mind that this recommendations are refering to the total system and not the gpu only i have also measured the consumption of my system through power plug meter and even under moderate overclocking the wattage consumption rarely passed 350w these numbers may vary though depending on the psu efficiency, components and the overclocking applied (the better the efficiency the more less it draws from the wall) http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Understanding-the-80-Plus-Certification/742 finally remenber that most psu produce their best efficiency on 50-60% usage which will also provide long lasting operation and a safety headroomThe Power Supply Unit tier list
you are welcome ;)

ajinkys

Distinguished
May 12, 2014

I5 4590 or I5 4670 + CM Hyper 212x + R9 280X + 8GB Corsair vengeance RAM + 2 x 1TB HDD + DVD writer + Asus h87 PLus + 2 X 140mm Cabinet fans + 3 x 120MM cabinet fans - SMPS CS 650M sufficient enough to power all this all full load ? GS & TX series are no longer available where i stay.

it is but post a link of the market-psu avaliable to find the best avaliable!

ajinkys

Distinguished
May 12, 2014
It is a local dealer shop. They do not have a website. however, my second preference is http://www.primeabgb.com/ you can refer to that. But is CS 650M which is GOLD certf. sufficient and efficient enough to power my rig ?

the site you have posted has corsair gs/tx and seasonic psu that are better options than the cscorsair. you can also check the tier list i have previously posted.

ajinkys

Distinguished
May 12, 2014
I know but TX & GS is discountd. they said. I'm getting CS 650M for INR 6,500 could you suggest anything in that price range from seasonic which shall be sufficient enough ? ALSO, please suggest if APC 600VA is sufficient UPS for my rig. im looking for only 5-10min. back up time. ??

http://www.primeabgb.com/seasonic-620w-s12ii-620-power-supply.html? /any seasonic of 550w and above is a great choise

yes that ups would be sufficient.

ajinkys

Distinguished
May 12, 2014
I'm sitting at home in real confused state. i might be exchanging and going for 4670 and please advise any of below PSU
CS 650M OR Seasonic 620W S12II-620 OR seasonic m12 650 OR anything from CX Series ? Also, could you PLEASE advise if BLUE LED fans will work inside CORSAIR spec 1 ?

i think we have cleared thing out about psu. whichever S E A S O N I C it is a best option! forget the rest. as fot ther color it is a matter of preference. blue it is then.!

ajinkys

Distinguished
May 12, 2014
Sorry to bother you again,
ADDING MORE, i'm really in no mood to spend money for a UPS. it's just because the config is costing me around 85k so people suggested. DO I REALLY NEED A UPS ? WILL loadshedding hamper or affect any of my components in any way ?
P.S my current config has face load shedding thing with direct shutdown 100+ times or maybe more in last 4 years and it still runs perfectly without any replacement or repairs whatsoever. I can get a good surge protector to protect my pc components from surges and blah blah. just want to confirm if electricity failures affect PC components in any way ? if yes, what kinda extent ?

thats for you to decide. if you are into importand task that never cant be lost and your power grid isnt consistent then i suppose you need one. for gaming and stuff,i dont see the importance of having one. the psu provides protection for the tower. for additional and peripheral (monitor, speakers...etc) protection you can buy a power surge plug adapter

ajinkys

Distinguished
May 12, 2014
Thanks a ton. You saved my money. I'll be playing Gamez, watching movies, surfing net. So as u say my PSU will handle my tower and for rest I already have a surge protector so UPSwont be needed. Thanks.