[SOLVED] Corsair TX 650 pop and blew up

aneesh1991

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2012
WHAT A NIGHTMARE!
So I recently upgraded my GPU to RTX 3070. I was using an old Corsair VS 550 for 4 years now I read a lot of reviews of how the VS series was terrible and the GPU was recommending a 650w PSU anyway so I decided to upgrade and bought this one. Here are the unfortunate events that followed.
Day1 : Installed the PSU. All seems good. Went to sleep. Woke up middle of the night without power in my house. Went and checked and the main circuit breaker was tripped. I found it odd but I turned it back up and slept.
Day 2: Woke up morning, circuit breaker was tripped again. This time I got suspicious whether it was the PSU but since I didn't see any evidence of it, I put the breaker back up. I powered on my PC and proceeded to game. Suddenly, a loud pop was heard , PC shut turned off and circuit breaker tripped again. This confirmed my suspicion. Called up Amazon who said they dont do refunds for electronics so asked if I wanted a replacement. I agreed.

Day 9: Got my replacement. Installed it and bang, a loud pop and smoke from PSU came immediately. Atleast this one wasn't sneaky about it. This time I was done, I called amazon and they agreed for refunds. Waiting for the pickup to complete so I can get the refund.

All through this, I was using my old 550w PSU ( which was supposed to be <Mod Edit> ) without any issue with the 3070. All games run without issue of power delivery. The whole experience was terrifying , time consuming, lot of work of opening up, swapping PSUs in and out.
If there is one saving grace about this PSU is that as it exploded, it didn't take down other components with it. So, its protection is designed well, I guess?

I find it hard to believe Corsair is that bad, although I see a lot of people complaining of same problems with this particular model on Amazon and reddit. Thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
WHAT A NIGHTMARE!
So I recently upgraded my GPU to RTX 3070. I was using an old Corsair VS 550 for 4 years now I read a lot of reviews of how the VS series was terrible and the GPU was recommending a 650w PSU anyway so I decided to upgrade and bought this one. Here are the unfortunate events that followed.
Day1 : Installed the PSU. All seems good. Went to sleep. Woke up middle of the night without power in my house. Went and checked and the main circuit breaker was tripped. I found it odd but I turned it back up and slept.
Day 2: Woke up morning, circuit breaker was tripped again. This time I got suspicious whether it was the PSU but since I didn't see any evidence of it, I put the breaker back up. I powered on my PC and...
WHAT A NIGHTMARE!
Day 2: Woke up morning, circuit breaker was tripped again. This time I got suspicious whether it was the PSU but since I didn't see any evidence of it, I put the breaker back up. I powered on my PC and proceeded to game. Suddenly, a loud pop was heard , PC shut turned off and circuit breaker tripped again. This confirmed my suspicion. Called up Amazon who said they dont do refunds for electronics so asked if I wanted a replacement. I agreed.

Day 9: Got my replacement. Installed it and bang, a loud pop and smoke from PSU came immediately. Atleast this one wasn't sneaky about it. This time I was done, I called amazon and they agreed for refunds. Waiting for the pickup to complete so I can get the refund.

All through this, I was using my old 550w PSU ( which was supposed to be <Mod Edit> ) without any issue with the 3070. All games run without issue of power delivery. The whole experience was terrifying , time consuming, lot of work of opening up, swapping PSUs in and out.
If there is one saving grace about this PSU is that as it exploded, it didn't take down other components with it. So, its protection is designed well, I guess?

I find it hard to believe Corsair is that bad, although I see a lot of people complaining of same problems with this particular model on Amazon and reddit. Thoughts?
Corsair isn't vad technically as i see no brand presay is bad. It's particular modles they sell and trust when i say heed previous buyers warnings on psu's they're not a joke.

Solution