Question Corsair TX550M thoughts?

Fire&Cold

Reputable
Sep 6, 2019
Hey there, I want to build my build and for some days I was looking for a reliable and quiet psu and I found the corsair one for $83. What do you think about it? I want to use this psu for maybe 10 years so I would like to have something good. My other components will be: Ryzen 5/7 3600/3700x(still irresolute because of the price), MSI X470, 2x4gb 3000 DDR4 and GTX 1080. I don't plan any overclock now, maybe after some years at CPU. Any recommendation is appreciated.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
The TXM is an excellent PSU.

If you want even more longevity however, you may want to look at:
  • Corsair RMx
  • Seasonic FOCUS Plus
  • Seasonic PRIME
for example.
The TX has a 7 year warranty from new, and is excellent.
The ones above have 10 year and 12 year warranties.

Reactions: Fire&Cold

Fire&Cold

Reputable
Sep 6, 2019
The TXM is an excellent PSU.

If you want even more longevity however, you may want to look at:
  • Corsair RMx
  • Seasonic FOCUS Plus
  • Seasonic PRIME
for example.
The TX has a 7 year warranty from new, and is excellent.
The ones above have 10 year and 12 year warranties.
Do you know if the TXM is quiet? Some people says that become louder at load. Anyway, the Seasonic Focus+ and Prime are out of my budget and RM550x is at EVGA G2 650W price at $117. I know that G2 is a good psu but 650W is overkill for my build. Other budget psu could be the Corsair Vengeance V550M, its a little cheaper but couldn't find much info about it. What do you think? Thanks!

Do you know if the TXM is quiet? Some people says that become louder at load. Anyway, the Seasonic Focus+ and Prime are out of my budget and RM550x is at EVGA G2 650W price at $117. I know that G2 is a good psu but 650W is overkill for my build. Other budget psu could be the Corsair Vengeance V550M, its a little cheaper but couldn't find much info about it. What do you think? Thanks!

The TX-M can be louder than average at higher loads because, despite having a fan optimized for static pressure, said fan has a round frame. The cut-out in the top housing is cut for a square frame fan. This causes some air pressure to get "lost" through these "leakage areas". To compensate, the fan has to spin faster than it normally would. Thus creating additional noise.

Fire&Cold

Reputable
Sep 6, 2019
The TX-M can be louder than average at higher loads because, despite having a fan optimized for static pressure, said fan has a round frame. The cut-out in the top housing is cut for a square frame fan. This causes some air pressure to get "lost" through these "leakage areas". To compensate, the fan has to spin faster than it normally would. Thus creating additional noise.
Thanks alot, didn't know such info! And if you don't mind, can you can tell me your thoughts about quality and silent at these 550W psus, compared with TX-M:
-FSP Hydro GE;
-Super Flower Leadex Silver;
-Super Flower Golden King Platinum;
-Antec Earthwatts Pro;
-Cooler Master MWE Gold;

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
The Seasonic shouldn't really be loud at higher loads. I have said series (albeit higher wattage) and I literally cannot hear it at any load over my other components.

The Antec is also fairly quiet, however out of the 2 I'd easily go the Seasonic as it has a 10 year warranty over the Antec's which is 3 years less, so whatever price difference it is, you're paying a small difference for another 3 years guarantee and an excellent PSU.

Last edited:
Thanks! Antec Earthwatts Pro 550W is cheaper than Seasonic Focus Plus 550W. Do you know if Antec is louder at high-load, like the Seasonic one?

The Antec is louder.

Look, if how quiet the PSU is the most important factor in your decision making, maybe you should look at PSUs that are engineered to run quietly.

And if I were to draw a Venn diagram with "cheap" in one circle and "quiet" in the other, I don't think those two circles would intersect.

If I can provide a quiet suggestion, I would say an RM or RMx.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador

Fire&Cold

Reputable
Sep 6, 2019
The Antec is louder.

Look, if how quiet the PSU is the most important factor in your decision making, maybe you should look at PSUs that are engineered to run quietly.

And if I were to draw a Venn diagram with "cheap" in one circle and "quiet" in the other, I don't think those two circles would intersect.

If I can provide a quiet suggestion, I would say an RM or RMx.
Thanks again! One more thing, I just found a Bronze rated, Semi-Modular psu: Corsair Vengeance V650M at $80 and his little brother, V550M, at $73. I know that doesn't has semi-passive mode and it's not Gold Rated but what do you think about it, is worth for this price?

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Thanks again! One more thing, I just found a Bronze rated, Semi-Modular psu: Corsair Vengeance V650M at $80 and his little brother, V550M, at $73. I know that doesn't has semi-passive mode and it's not Gold Rated but what do you think about it, is worth for this price?
The Vengeance silver is also a decent PSU - it would technically be considered lower than the TX in the Corsair Range. Also if it's not the silver then it's the discontinued range.

Being as you've been asking for longevity and quiet operation, the previous options we have suggested are much better suited. The Vengeance will have a 5 year warranty in comparison to 10 years for the Seasonic FOCUS Plus and Corsair RMx etc.

If it's fits your budget better, it's a good PSU, just based on what has been described up to this point suit your needs more and if you can pick up one of the above for around the same, I'd choose the other models.

A quiet PSU is not about having a semi-passive mode. You can have a quiet PSU where the fan spins all the time if it's a quality fan with a well programmed fan controller.

That said, Vengeance Bronze is not a PSU engineered for low noise. Is that not your priority? I know you want to spend as little as possible, but.....

Reactions: PC Tailor