[SOLVED] Corsair TX550M

Lee_s

Prominent
Jun 1, 2020
Hi,

I'm currently planning a new build and I was looking at the Corsair TX550M PSU as it seemed to meet my needs, but the mobo I'm using requires an 8 pin and 4 pin connection for the CPU, so when I tried putting this into the PC Partpicker website it through up a warning saying the PSU doesn't have the additional 4 pin connection.

However looking at images of the PSU I can see the 4+4 CPU lead is hardwired and not modular, but there is a modular connection labelled as "6+2 PCIe & 4+4 CPU" but it looks like they only supply the PCIe cable, so I'm assuming this is why PC partpicker throws it out. However as the socket on the PSU is labelled up for both PCIe & PSU, would it just be a case of getting a 4+4 CPU cable and connecting it up?

Thanks

Hi,

I'm currently planning a new build and I was looking at the Corsair TX550M PSU as it seemed to meet my needs, but the mobo I'm using requires an 8 pin and 4 pin connection for the CPU, so when I tried putting this into the PC Partpicker website it through up a warning saying the PSU doesn't have the additional 4 pin connection.

However looking at images of the PSU I can see the 4+4 CPU lead is hardwired and not modular, but there is a modular connection labelled as "6+2 PCIe & 4+4 CPU" but it looks like they only supply the PCIe cable, so I'm assuming this is why PC partpicker throws it out. However as the socket on the PSU is labelled up for both PCIe & PSU, would it just be a case of getting a 4+4 CPU cable and connecting it up?

Thanks
You can probably ignore this warning but to be sure, link your Pcpartpicker list.

Lee_s

Prominent
Jun 1, 2020
what mobo are you using? I don't know of a single consumer grade cpu that actually requires both an 8pin eps + a 4pin eps unless you're using nitrogen overclocking...

I'm looking at using the Asus Prime x570-P, I'm not overclocking at all, but from doing a bit of research online it seems to be a bit hit and miss with some boards whether they will actually power up if you just connect the 8 pin CPU connection.

Reactions: Vic 40
Solution
Dec 12, 2020
The extra 4 pin connection is only required if you are putting in high end CPU. Intel if you are putting in an i9 it requires the extra power from the extra 4 pin. AMD side example is if you are doing a 3900x. It is highly recommended to use the extra 4 pin for 3800x ( or equivalent ) but not necessarily requited. The 8pin (4x4) is always needed.